Saddlebag Mounting?

Canada17

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I just bought a pair of joe rocket velocity saddlebags for my bike. Does anyone have pictures of how they have their bags mounted close up? Ie are the straps running under the seat or over? Where they mounted their tie downs, etc. Thanks!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Post some pics please. I have all the straps under the seat 3 in total as my son said it made the seat uncomfortable.
Sorry my mistake, 2 straps under the seat.

Last edited:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I am getting ready to start building my own luggage rack/saddle bag supports for my Nelson Rigg bags.

I will be sure to post some pictures of the process.

-bryan

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
If its any help to you, i have the oxford humpback panniers on the bike. I use the main central strap under the seat and the other two main straps over the seat. The bags are also harnessed to the rear part of the pillion grab rail and to the metal backing on the pillion foot pegs. I also have an elastic cable (cant remember their name...the ones with metal hooks on either end!!) connected to the bags and then to the pillion foot pegs. This keeps the bags pretty stable.

Really it doesn't matter but I dont carry a pillion so I find one strap under the seat and two over the seat is the best option for me. Otherwise the seat doesn't sit flush with the body of the bike (using these thick oxford straps of course!!)

Hope that helps a bit!

You really just want to find the best way of doing it so that the bags dont flop all over the place...go out to your bike and stare at it for 30 minutes and fit the bags in different ways....eventually you'll find the best option!! (thats how i learned to put mine on!!!)...now it takes 5 minutes to put them on! :)

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Check out TwistedThrottle.com, I am considering in getting the SW-MOTECH Travel soft bags Part# BCK.00.342.100 These bags expand from 40-48 liters. Waterproof lined and durable 1000 denier PVC nylon made. The liner is removable.:Sport:

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was also thinking about luggage. I was looking at MotoPak. Does the under seat exhaust heat get in the way of saddlebags, or is it pretty much a non issue? From looking at pictures, the mufflers are exposed where the panniers would go. What is the best way to mount them with out making the passenger seat useless?

Some pictures would be great, so I know what to look for in luggage.

It is funny how Yamaha says the underseat mufflers make use of saddlebags (or panniers, what ever your choice of terms) easy, yet no factory option or mounts available, weird.

Canada17

Reaction score
Visit site
Mounting options!

So I played around with it last night. I have two sets of over straps on my bags, the front seat I put under the seat, the back straps go over the tail section just behind the seat. I used the passenger peg supports as the tie down points. I also ran the engine for 10 minutes to see what heats up. It appears that the outer cannister of the exhaust does not actually heat up that much, at least not to the point of melting or igniting the bags, it appears to be an outer cowling that is more aesthetic than anything else. I will try to get pics tonight.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I am going to start a new thread in a minute about what is going on with my bag situation.

I will be talking tonight to, Luke, the lab TA guy about how we are going to build this set up. Look for it soon.

-bryan

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am going to start a new thread in a minute about what is going on with my bag situation.

I will be talking tonight to, Luke, the lab TA guy about how we are going to build this set up. Look for it soon.

-bryan
Why not just continue this one as a natural progression?

Canada17

Reaction score
Visit site
Permission to thread-jack! This sounds like it is going in an interesting direction. I mounted my bags in the same way as pictured.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think mine are the same as yours Scorph

Nice photo! It is also cool how you covered up your tank. Is that to hide something? Question in regards to your saddle bags; can you have a passenger ride with you while the bags are on?
I'm planning a trip on a bike, but wifey says she needs more room to put her stuff in, so I need some saddlebags to come with my wife.