S2 Fazer differences

Tribal-Wolf

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I am contemplating buying a FZ6 Fazer S2 as I understand the mid range has been improved over the pre 2007 version. The comments I have seen in reviews regarding the lack of midrange is putting me off buying a pre S2 model and I was wondering if anyone has ridden both and is there much of an improvement?
I would appreciate any help on this.
Thanks

fazerfred

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a 2008 S2 and find it a great allrounder. Had a 2003 Fazer (Foxeye version) and prefer the new bike. I was also put off by the reviews of the post 2003 bikes until I had a test ride of the S2. The 2008 has to be revved slightly harder but to be honest I find it a better ride and love the power from 6-12,000 revs. Never used to be up there much with the old bike but the power on the 2008 is addictive!

Not riden a 2003-2007 model but would recommened the S2:Flash:

Also had an ER-5 and you will find the difference imense!

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Some around here have owned both and they'll know best, but I've ridden both (albeit only a test ride on a 2006 - I own a 2007).

The brakes are definitely a bit grabbier on the '07+. I prefer the gauges (screen) on the newer one too.

I didn't notice a difference in low-midrange power between the two versions.

It seemed like the throttle was easier to control from take-off on the '07 (of course it always works if you dump the clutch and blast off!) It could have been because I was new to the bike when I tried the '06. They supposedly remapped the bike for 07.

If you can get a great deal on an older model it should not turn you off. I went for an '07 because they had a new one sitting there this year and I was as motivated to buy it as the dealer was to unload it (these bikes do not sell well around here - it's cruisers or full-on rockets that sell).

Last edited:

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
My 07 is a great driving bike. Never rode an 07+ but I doubt it could be all that dramatically different. Buy whichever comes along at the right price. Either way you won't be sorry.

pml1967

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a brand new 08 S2 Fazer in June after test riding the 06 model. I can't say that I can really feel any difference in the mid-range between the two (probably because both are so much better than the 14yr old CB500 I traded in!!). I went for the brand new one because the build looks nicer (swing arm, pillion footpeg mounts, fairing) and also because the dials are so much better on the new one. I really struggled to see the LCD tacho on the older model (the test ride was on one of those very rare sunny days we had in June!). The final incentive was the small difference in cost between the two. At the time Yamaha were doing 0% finance and £350 cashback on new ones (£350 plus the saved interest pretty much wipes out the difference in cost). I'm not sure what offers they have on today but I bet in the current climate there are some good deals to be done.

Hope that helps

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a brand new 08 S2 Fazer in June after test riding the 06 model. I can't say that I can really feel any difference in the mid-range between the two (probably because both are so much better than the 14yr old CB500 I traded in!!). I went for the brand new one because the build looks nicer (swing arm, pillion footpeg mounts, fairing) and also because the dials are so much better on the new one. I really struggled to see the LCD tacho on the older model (the test ride was on one of those very rare sunny days we had in June!). The final incentive was the small difference in cost between the two. At the time Yamaha were doing 0% finance and £350 cashback on new ones (£350 plus the saved interest pretty much wipes out the difference in cost). I'm not sure what offers they have on today but I bet in the current climate there are some good deals to be done.

Hope that helps

I bought a brand new S2 for the same reasons, the all digital display is not to my liking.
The dealers are doing a 42 months interest free at the moment.

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
I bought a brand new S2 for the same reasons, the all digital display is not to my liking.
The dealers are doing a 42 months interest free at the moment.

Wow! I don't hear about interest free deals too very often. Kudos to you! :thumbup:

X