Rust in Gas Tank?

Mr_Green

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got my bike today. It will be sitting in my garage for the next 1-2 months until I get my license. Is this rust in the tank?

it’s a 2005 FZ6 and has been sitting for 5 years. Starts and runs great with no over heating issues or anything like that. Tank is full of gas.

Attachments

• 88712932-C9D5-4645-9428-DC9ED8422DF8.jpeg
    88712932-C9D5-4645-9428-DC9ED8422DF8.jpeg
    401.6 KB · Views: 15

Mr_Green

Reaction score
Visit site
Side not. It was sitting with almost no gas in it for 5 years. Previous owner siphoned the old gas out. Checked that it was good and then filled it again.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I see some rust specs in the limited view. That little section doesn’t look bad. To get a true picture, remove the fuel pump and inspect the pump screen. If it’s clean then the rust isn’t dislodging and causing potential problems.

Mr_Green

Reaction score
Visit site
I see some rust specs in the limited view. That little section doesn’t look bad. To get a true picture, remove the fuel pump and inspect the pump screen. If it’s clean then the rust isn’t dislodging and causing potential problems.

okay I’ll do that later today. The fuel pump is brand new. The bike has only been run for 30 miles on the new pump

Mr_Green

Reaction score
Visit site
New pump you say. Why did the old one fail? Do you still have it? Can you disassemble it to see if it is impacted with rust?

he didn’t say.There were a few things he thought he would need to replace that weren’t crazy expensive and that was one of them. I don’t believe he has the old one. Man I’m pretty bummed.

Maybe I should just buy a new gas tank. I found a Japanese website that is selling it for about $600…I still owe the guy $880 because Zelle would only let me send him $2,000 (he wanted a little more than the agreed 2,500 because of repairs he had to make). So maybe I ask to just not pay the last bit and buy a new tank?

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
he didn’t say.There were a few things he thought he would need to replace that weren’t crazy expensive and that was one of them. I don’t believe he has the old one. Man I’m pretty bummed.

Maybe I should just buy a new gas tank. I found a Japanese website that is selling it for about $600…I still owe the guy $880 because Zelle would only let me send him $2,000 (he wanted a little more than the agreed 2,500 because of repairs he had to make). So maybe I ask to just not pay the last bit and buy a new tank?

I looked back at the pictures you posted of the bike and the tank looks in really good shape. Here is a link to another Jersey rider who had to deal with a rusty tank in an old, idle FZ6.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Might at least ask who ever put the pump in, how the inside looked..

As Gary mentioned, you want to "stay ahead" of any potential rust issues in the tank that will cause later issues..

Should YOU decide to pull the pump, separate the pump and sending while in the tank pushing the below pictured tab. The pump will come out MUCH easier. When re-installing, it should go back in, assembled..

fuel pump #2.jpg

Mr_Green

Reaction score
Visit site
Might at least ask who ever put the pump in, how the inside looked..

As Gary mentioned, you want to "stay ahead" of any potential rust issues in the tank that will cause later issues..

Should YOU decide to pull the pump, separate the pump and sending while in the tank pushing the below pictured tab. The pump will come out MUCH easier. When re-installing, it should go back in, assembled..

View attachment 74426

when I asked him about the inside this is what he said:

“It was in decent shape but it was not turning on. I believe it was because there was so little fuel most of the electronics was exposed to air the whole time. I could have just replaced the pump itself but it would have been an aftermarket part which I wasn't comfortable with so I decided to replace the whole unit with an OEM part.”