Rotella $11.50/gal at Wal-Mart

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been using Rotella full syn 5-40 for years on both my bikes and tons of my friends use it without any problem whatsoever. Why would you say to stay away from it? Making a blanket statement like that without a reason or evidence makes the statement useless.:ban:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been using Rotella full syn 5-40 for years on both my bikes and tons of my friends use it without any problem whatsoever. Why would you say to stay away from it? Making a blanket statement like that without a reason or evidence makes the statement useless.:ban:

Ban? What, another oil thread? (joking) How many threads on Shell Rotella already though? Is the syn 5-40 JASA approved yet (I think I read that it was)? Just curious.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
difference is this thread is not a "which one is better"... only pointing out a price point for those that like to use it. where this could have simply been an information/thanks thread you decided to come in and start stirring the pot. so for that, yeah i'll stick up the :ban:

[edit] wow. reading my post a day later it sounds much harsher than when i wrote it. try to read it with a light tone. i should have stuck a smilie in there somewhere. my bad. [end edit]

to the OP... thanks for the info. is this the synthetic?

Last edited:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I followed the link posted for rotella oil and it seems this oil is "energy saving"..

I thought energy saving oils were bad for motorcycle wet clutches.

I really want to like rotella at this price (using Mobil 4t now..good but expensive).

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
I'm truly sorry. Didn't mean to offend.

it's alright. tone probably comes across harsher online than in person. i went back and read mine and it can read pretty harsh. didn't mean to be harsh. it's all good. thanks for clarifying though.

oh, and if you don't want to post in here but you have a reason you don't like rotella send me a pm. i use it because the research i did seemed to say that it was a perfectly fine oil. not saying i'll agree with you but i'm always interested in learning and hearing what people have to say.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I followed the link posted for rotella oil and it seems this oil is "energy saving"..

I thought energy saving oils were bad for motorcycle wet clutches.

I really want to like rotella at this price (using Mobil 4t now..good but expensive).

I think there is a subtle labeling difference. If it's labeled "Energy Conserving" then the oil has friction modifiers added to it. I think in this case the energy saving is not the same thing.

Getaway

Reaction score
Visit site
First, I couldn't find the Synth at 11.50:(, but I still had a question.
I was under the impression that any oil rated as Energy Conserving was bad for use in motorcycles with wet clutches.

Airhead

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
First, I couldn't find the Synth at 11.50:(, but I still had a question.
I was under the impression that any oil rated as Energy Conserving was bad for use in motorcycles with wet clutches.

Shell Rotella® T6 Full Synthetic oil features an advanced multi-functional, low-ash additive technology in a synthetic base oil designed to provide highly responsive protection that continuously adapts to your driving conditions. Use of selected low-viscosity synthetic base oils further energizes the oil’s protective capability that promotes fuel-economy performance with no compromise in durability. Shell Rotella® T6 can contribute in many ways:
• Extended-drain capable
Energy saving – fuel-economy performance*
• Excellent engine cleanliness and wear protection
• Excellent extreme high/low-temperature protection
• Improved low-temperature flow*

Shell Rotella® T6 builds on our commitment to providing innovative solutions to meet the technical and operational needs of your equipment.
*Compared with Shell Rotella® T Triple Protection® SAE 15W-40 engine oil.

Looks like its "energy savings" are just in comparison to the Triple Protection and not actually having any additives for it.

Note: it says "energy savings" not "energy conserving."