Rode a Brand New Triumph Street Triple R

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I was out riding some really nice twisty roads yesterday when one of the guys who I was riding with (who I had just met that morning) threw me the keys to his brand new Street Triple R.

Now normally I don't like to ride other peoples bikes, but I figured when am I going to get a chance to ride a brand new Triumph through scenic roads that I can actually push the bike on. So I hopped on.

A couple of months ago I had a chance to ride a 2014 Yamaha FZ-09 on similar roads. When riding that bike the first thing I noticed is that the bike had a very supermoto like seating position, it felt very foreign compared to the FZ6. The tank was too narrow IMO for me to brace myself against on hard braking. While the FZ09 had power in mass compared to the FZ6 the seating position would take some getting used to. Even so, it was a great bike, I wouldn't mind owning one.

This brings me to the Street Triple R, this bike is amazing. I instantly felt at home on it, the ergonomics are VERY close to my FZ6. I felt like I had already put hundreds of miles on the bike half way down the road. While it is down on power on the FZ09 it's still a huge step up in torque compared to the FZ6. The Street Triple R pulls so well out of corners it was addicting. There was no need to keep the tach into five digit numbers. I'm not sure why, but I just felt so comfortable riding this bike, it never felt like it was a bike I hadn't spent countless hours on.

I think if I was in the market for another bike I would have to take the Triumph over the Yamaha. Sure the Yamaha (FZ09) has more grunt, but the Triumph still has more grunt than the FZ6. The ergonomics and overall quality feel of the Triumph just making the riding experience so much more pleasing. I don't think a price can really be put on a bike that is so easy to ride. I would gladly part with the extra $2,000 for the Triumph.

Btw, after some convincing by the owner I did try out the ABS. I'm sold on ABS, I don't think I'll buy a bike without ABS ever again. I can see it saving my butt if I'm cruising through traffic and shoulder check only to turn back around to the car in front of me locking up their brakes.

Last edited:

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Very cool to hear you liked it so much. I'm young so I'm slowly making a list of bikes to ride later in my life. The speed triple was pretty much already on the list, but it's certainly on there now!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, it's a great bike. However, you really must try SPEED Triple before you pull the trigger on Street Triple :Sport:

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure my insurance company would like that....

I just ran across this article FZ09 Suspension.

I could likely get a FZ09 w/ ECU flash, fork cartridges, and shock for the same price as a Street Triple R. I wonder how the modified FZ09 would compare to a stock Triumph?

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
i like it but its like a 3/4 sized bike. or 4/5 or what have you. i don't think it would be friendly to my 6'3 frame. i was surprised by its modest size when i encountered one on the street recently, smallish female rider atop. must be how they kept the weight down

as a daily ride for me the FZ09 would have to be the way to go. imho the bike to compare the Triple to is the FZ07. idc the 07 gives up almost 30HP. riders always screaming about "torque, torque, torque!" anyway. its not a triple? who cares? you wouldn't know that riding it and its dimensions and weight better match the Triumph

the Street Triple is faster then the FZ6, sure. but not by too much. i'll take it as my "big bike" i can ride with comfort over the lightweights, any day. at least for everyday

Last edited:

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
The Street Triple actually felt larger than the FZ6 despite it's shorter wheel base, I think it's due to the higher seat height and more open ergonomics. I didn't really feel any weight difference. By comparison the FZ09 felt smaller than the FZ6. The Street Triple might only be slightly faster than the FZ6 WTFO, but it's substantially faster than the FZ6 in it's mid-range.

Last edited:

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure my insurance company would like that....

I just ran across this article FZ09 Suspension.

I could likely get a FZ09 w/ ECU flash, fork cartridges, and shock for the same price as a Street Triple R. I wonder how the modified FZ09 would compare to a stock Triumph?

The suspension isn't terrible, run mine on a not stock setting. It could be better with the way it plants itself but O well it was 8k new. No tracks close, so its not an issue

Last edited:

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
The Street Triple actually felt larger than the FZ6 despite it's shorter wheel base, I think it's due to the higher seat height and more open ergonomics. I didn't really feel any weight difference. By comparison the FZ09 felt smaller than the FZ6. The Street Triple might only be slightly faster than the FZ6 WTFO, but it's substantially faster than the FZ6 in it's mid-range.

interesting. i suppose i would have to give each one a good go. parked next to my FZ6 the Triple appeared a good deal smaller but perhaps it does not tell the entire story once on the bike? looking at where the pegs were set in relation to the seat it would appear somewhat cramped, however

again, thats just how it appeared to me, though. if what you say is true there could be hope for me after all. i do like the bike a lot. the look and style and the way riders describe it. its pretty badass and sounds like a hoot to ride

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not that my overlay is an exact science, but based on the image below, ST has nearly identical seat to leg distance, but as expected pegs are slightly farther back (sportier setup) and there's actually a lot more room from seat to bar, because of stock FZ6 handlebar having too much rear sweep.

So all in all, ST is definitely not smaller, ergonomics-wise

attachment.php

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
interesting. i suppose i would have to give each one a good go. parked next to my FZ6 the Triple appeared a good deal smaller but perhaps it does not tell the entire story once on the bike? looking at where the pegs were set in relation to the seat it would appear somewhat cramped, however

again, thats just how it appeared to me, though. if what you say is true there could be hope for me after all. i do like the bike a lot. the look and style and the way riders describe it. its pretty badass and sounds like a hoot to ride

Just by glancing at them I can see where your coming from. The Street Triple IS a smaller bike, especially in the tail section. It's just not smaller in the ergonomics department.

Not that my overlay is an exact science, but based on the image below, ST has nearly identical seat to leg distance, but as expected pegs are slightly farther back (sportier setup) and there's actually a lot more room from seat to bar, because of stock FZ6 handlebar having too much rear sweep.

So all in all, ST is definitely not smaller, ergonomics-wise

attachment.php

This is rather interesting, thanks for throwing it up. My FZ6 actually has setback plates, so the Triumph had lower pegs. I was kind of curious how they compare stock vs stock.

Last edited:

drumbum

Reaction score
Visit site
the Speed is a great bike. A coworker of mine had one for a while, before he sold it for a zx6r (said it was too fast given the very upright position). I'd love to have one, but I have my fz6 loaded with luggage and the st just doesn't accommodate that. That may or may not be something to keep in mind

As a side note, I don't know what the big deal is about the fz-09, I rode one at a yamaha demo ride a few months ago. That was without a doubt the worst bike i've ever ridden. You sit upright, but its a very slanted seat, super skinny, super jerky, I just never got the hang of it, i prefer real supersports if you want that speed. But that's just my own personal opinion.

It's always great to ride more bikes, shows you what you want/don't want, and sometimes can highlight the benefits of your bike, just when you were getting tired of it and thought you needed an upgrade.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
The speed on an 09 is irrelevant given the 132mph cutoff. The shear quickness of it is only beat by a select few liter bikes. It's so nimble I could ride it through WalMart if I needed too.

=]

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
As a side note, I don't know what the big deal is about the fz-09, I rode one at a yamaha demo ride a few months ago. That was without a doubt the worst bike i've ever ridden. You sit upright, but its a very slanted seat, super skinny, super jerky, I just never got the hang of it, i prefer real supersports if you want that speed. But that's just my own personal opinion.

The big deal about the FZ09 is this :

2014-Yamaha-FZ-09-Dyno-Chart.jpg

PRICE $7,990
DRY WEIGHT 396 lbs.
WHEELBASE 56.8 in.
SEAT HEIGHT 32.0 in.
FUEL MILEAGE 38 mpg
0-60 MPH 2.7 sec.
1/4 MILE 10.66 @ 125.24 mph
HORSEPOWER 107.2 hp @ 10,120 rpm
TORQUE 61.5 lb.-ft. @ 8,480 rpm
TOP SPEED 132 mph

Where as you get this with Triumph:

Triumph-Street-Triple-R-dyno-chart.jpg

PRICE est. $10,500
DRY WEIGHT 392 lbs.
WHEELBASE 55.3 in.
SEAT HEIGHT 32.8 in.
FUEL MILEAGE 37 mpg
0-60 MPH 3.1 sec.
1/4 MILE 11.15 @ 122.28 mph
HORSEPOWER 95.0 hp @ 12,040 rpm
TORQUE 46.0 lb.-ft. @ 8,380 rpm
TOP SPEED 142 mph

Source

The jerky throttle issue on the FZ09 is easily solved.

Just goes to show why they sell so many different bikes, they're not one size fits all.

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I too was disappointed in stock FZ09. Ergonomics are a matter of preference, so just because the seat doesn't feel good to me, doesn't mean it's no good for everyone else, BUT.. I thought suspension was awful and the throttle was by far the jerkiest of any bike I've ridden (makes FZ6 feel like a smooth refined machine).

To me, the big deal as [MENTION=24069]thisisbenji[/MENTION] pointed out, is the excellent platform you get for so little money. The motor is outstanding and with very little investment FZ09 can be tweaked to be exceptional (fueling, ninja rear shock, fork springs + oil). I rode [MENTION=16666]Marthy[/MENTION] 's bike (with the above mentioned upgrades) and was blown away by how much better it was than stock. In fact, it felt better to me than the Triumph (though I'd still want better fork internals).

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey hey... I heard my name :)

Once all sort out the 09 is a great machine. Looks is not for everyone but performance for the $$$ it doesn't get any better than this.

When Erci took my ride for a test I only had the .85kg/mm spring and 10W oil. I now bump up to .90kg/mm, GP piston kit (+ tweaking for the track) and maximize oil level for improve braking. (Needed more support with the 320mm brake rotors)

On the road the bike is a bit on the stiff side now since I haven't change sag from my last track day. But at the track, other than few liter bike pulling on me in the straightaway... The FZ09 kicka$$! Here's a little video from my last track day. 2nd session of my 2nd track day ever. It got better later in the evening but my old Gpro took a dump on me.

2014 Marthy's FZ09 - YouTube

drumbum

Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=24069]thisisbenji[/MENTION] (sorry I can't figure out how to quote on tap2talk) I know the specs are immense for the 09. Reading reviews and magazine articles had me very excited about the bike but... Like you said, bikes aren't one size fits all.