Rizoma Lux Billet Grips / Bar Ends

Jarad

U Don't Fit on Back
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all...

I admit it... I will be honest... I have been :Lurking: "lurking" these forums and absorbing your knowledge... Now I must ask for help...

I picked up some Rizoma Lux Billet Grips / Matching bar ends and have reached a cross road. I realize, sadly, I have no f in idea what I am doing...

Every guide I have come acrossed has different information, sh*t, I can't even seem to find the right hex key for clutch side *lowershead*...

I was hoping you guys could point me in the direction of a step by step guide to install these hopefully with extreme detail like you are explaining it to this guy... :don'tknow: <------me

I am not very mechincally inclided *lowershead again*.... :Im With Stupid:

I am willing to work for photos when done... First one to tell me how or where to find info wins...

Last edited:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Use the "search" option and you should be able to find many threads with what you need.

Lots of people have installed the Rizoma Sportline grips (including myself) so the installation should be the same as the Lux.

Good luck! :D

BTW, they are beautiful grips. Don't forget to post pics when you're done, or even do your own step by step and post on the technical forum....

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you talking about the hex to take the stock bar end off or the hex to tighten the two locking grub screws on the new grip?

The bar end is removed with an 8mm and the locking grub screws on the Rizoma are 2.5mm. I have the Sportline grips but I'm sure they will be the same size.

And yes I went out to my bike and checked just for you :)

Jarad

U Don't Fit on Back
Reaction score
Visit site
I found a thread where people were having problems with the Rizoma bar ends on the throttle side. The bar ends use expanding rubber and there was a thread about using 9 washers to aid getting the bar end to thread while leaving some space for the throttle grip not to get pinched.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/16712-installing-rizoma-bar-end-throttle-side.html

Anyone tried this and have it work... I have bought the M6X45 socket head bolt and washers, having troubles finding the spacer...

Last edited:

Jarad

U Don't Fit on Back
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok... I have been searching the www and have found the following, let me know if I have everything and right information before I start tearing my bike apart, please, any additional info would be greatly, strongly greatly, appreciated:

Clutch side..
1.) Remove stock bar ends with 8mm Hex Key...
2.) Remove stock grips with heat (I'll try first, hair dryer I believe), WD-40, or compressed air (dont have...)
3.) Clean up bar with acetone
4.) Use hairspray to slide grips on
5.) Use 2.5mm Hex Key to set two grip fasteners, apply loctite
6.) Fasten Bar ends on....

Throttle side...
1.) Remove throttle housing
2.) Remove stock bar end with 8mm Hex Key...
3.) Take mental image of cable setup...
4.) Put plastic adapter on, bottom cable first, then top?? or something??... obviously havent taken apart yet so not sure exactly how this works...
5.) Add M10 washer or many? to aid threading bar end...
6.) Tighten down, check to see of throttle sticks...

Throttle side seems to be where I am having the most questions and the most varied answers... Boneman said he added washers to fix the threading of the bar end to throttle side.. I am guessing he used M10 or suppled washers with bar ends... not at home, cant remember if bar ends came with washers...

Lastly, anyone mention which of the three rubbers you used, small, medium, or large? or... Durex, Trojan, or Magnum?

Any help again will be very much greatly appreciated...

:don'tknow:

Last edited:

Jarad

U Don't Fit on Back
Reaction score
Visit site
The grips went on great... very nice... in 10 minutes...

Now for the bad news....

The Rizoma Bar ends are piles of shi... :spam: yeah, that's what I was going to say...

To Rizoma, who thought squeezing rubber was better then threading bar ends... :Flip:

After having nothing but problems with the bar ends... I gave up on them... piles of :spam:

Only way I see myself being able to trust these wont vibrate out is if I find a way to go from a M6 X 25-45 to the original thread size which is huge...

DSCF4542.JPG

Thanks to Boneman for letting me (without asking) use your pic as I was too pissed to take my own...

There is space for weights in the casting and probably some adapter that would get you to the original thread size... I may have to play around at the parts store to get these where they need to be... pretty disappointed in Rizoma and their bar ends... I love the matching blue bar ends... but this is going to take some self tweeking to gain my approval...

For now... stock bar ends are back on...

Last edited:

Jarad

U Don't Fit on Back
Reaction score
Visit site
Should have come with different adaptors....

Nope... the bar ends came with washers (tried using... to no avail), three different size rubbers, only the smallest would fit into the threading but then wouldn't catch the rubber allowing for me to thread the end or the medium which I couldnt jam in far enough to make work, even hit the sucker with a rubber mallet, didn't work but got some frustration out... also came with other strange looking washers I assume is for other grip types...

The grips are on and beautiful but the bar ends are on computer desk...

Jarad

U Don't Fit on Back
Reaction score
Visit site
They did come with three different size socket head bolts, tried longest ones, nope, but I went to store and got longer to get the rubber to catch further into the bar but again to no avail...

Jarad

U Don't Fit on Back
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same problem. Went to Autozone and got longer screws(cant remember the length)and its good to go.

I did too... I went and got a M6 x 45mm.... still didn't work for me and also didn't come anywhere close to feeling like I can rely on them staying there...

For those of you that have tried to help... pictures are attached... for those of you who didn't... dont look... no... dont... or fine, look...

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Sorry I'm late to the party here, but let me shed some light on the throttle side RIZOMA bar end issue.

First off, here are two related threads about the same issue:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/28312-rizoma-bar-end-help-throttle-side.html

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/27869-rizoma-bar-ends-3.html

The problem is the rubber insert and blot are not long enough to get deep enough into the handlebar.

Mike (PJ's Parts) mentioned that there are some washers in the package and you can use a couple to 'stand off' the rubber insert and push it farther back.

I tried this and this is what I found. I found the max washers I could use and still get the little tappered end to thread onto the end of the bolt was 2. This mounted better, but I think I will still have to go out and buy a longer bolt of the same size and thread (Home Depot) then add more washers so the rubber insert is farther down the bolt and get's into the inside of the hnandlebar better.

Adding the two washers did help and I was able to tighten it better than without the washers and it could get tight without binding on the throttle.

Another option I was told about was to take apart the throttle and slide the whole throttle/kill switch assembly up the handlebar a bit, then install and tighten the bar end, then slid everything back down and tighten into place. I didn't like this approach as you have to cut a mounting tab on the throttle assmebly that fits into a locator hole dirlled into the handlebar and your throttle will be up higher than it is now (now unballanced from the left side controls?)

So I still haven't purchased the longer bolt and still using the stock bolt and 2 of the 'washers' from the package and it's been pretty rock solid for the past few months now. I'm confident that it's not going anywhere.

So before you give up on these, give the onger bolt a try!

Again, I have NO idea how some people can have no issues with the throttle side and others like me have had nothing but issues?!?!?

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the "Moral of the story" here, is that those little "expanding rubber" bar end mounts are a PITA! Have always had issues with them...and dont know anyone that likes them...but unfortuneatly, i reckon we are stuck with them re aftermarket bar ends, as it is the only real way they have of maintaining a "universal fit" for all the different bikes, and handlebars out there!

It's not just Rizoma mirrors with this set up that are painful, i think it is most, or all mirrors with this mounting set up that give people grief when fitting, or at some other time, when they come loose...never to be tightened again normally!

:thumbup:

Jarad

U Don't Fit on Back
Reaction score
Visit site
How long are we talkin??

I don't know if you caught this but I DID pick up a 6mm X 45mm socket head bolt and tried THREE included washers and still could not get it to fit right... the medium rubber didnt want to go passed the internal threading, even hit with rubber mallet, and the small rubber would not grip...

I am thinking about something like this... adding heavy washers in the metal housing with a 6mm X 25-30mm socket head going to an adapter from 6mm to male stock bar end thread size..

Anyone try this??

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
One thing to keep in mind here people is that especially when dealing with a "universal fit" product, that sometimes it might require some additional thought and insight on your part to make it work.

Modding is not always easy, simple or straight forward and will often require you to put some additional thought into the process at times.

I was a little choked at RIZOMA too about this 'issue', but I also spent some time looking at how the product worked and how I could make it work for my situation.