RIP - Shoya Tomizawa

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is horrible. :( I saw the crash and it was really bad. He was one of my favorite moto2 riders, also a very funny guy.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, another rider gone. Been a tough couple weeks in Moto GP. Bikes can be so unforgiving.

Yes it has been a tragic few weeks. Bikes are so much fun but there is the flip side to motorcycles. They are not safe.

I see that motogp.com has removed to action clips of the crash for now.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't watch the race live because I was watching Superbike race 1 but I recorded it and I saw the ticker at the bottom of the screen at the end of the MotoGP race.

My wife and I just watched the Moto2 race now with the sense of dread of knowing what is coming. It was a terrible accident that had us both in tears, especially when the commentators said "no serious or life-threatening injuries".

RIP Tomizawa-san. A black week for motorcycle racing.

Edit: Now we watched the post race interviews and Toni Elias' comments just finished us both. What a crap end to what had been a great weekend.

Last edited:

Mr Buck

Born on the wrong side
Reaction score
Visit site
I saw it live and it was a really shocking accident!!

They said when he was first taken away that no ones life was in danger, I guess in the end it was just too much for him :(

RIP fella, you will be missed

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just finished watching the press conference that the Race Directors held. It wasn't pretty, the press wanted to know why there was no red flag given the severity of the accident and how quickly Shoya was pulled off the track without proper stabilization. They didn't know how severe things were until they got him into the ambulance and realized how critical the situation really was. :(

I thought is was a great gesture that Jorge Lorenzo was in the audience for that
conference. And Nicky said it best, they are all competitors/opponents but in the end they are brothers in the paddock.

It was heartbreaking to see Marco Simoncelli and Marco Milandri with tears during their interviews.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
R.I.P Tomizawa

I just watched the races as I recorded them last night (watched the Superbikes). I had avoided all radio reports during the day so hadn't heard anything.
OneHD went to an ad break and came back to replays of the crash. A sad, sad day for the sport. Shoya was having his best race since the start of the season.

A great up-and-coming racer, lost to the sport we all love. I feel for DeAngelis and Redding too, they had nowhere to go.

jackay

Reaction score
Visit site
Watched the replay on the net...it just looks horrible the way it happened...
RIP...Shoya Tomizawa...you'll be missed...

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
Watched the replay on the net...it just looks horrible the way it happened...
RIP...Shoya Tomizawa...you'll be missed...
Terrible, just terrible . . . . I too just had to see what happened.

It certainly does bring home how dangerous this sport is and what immense hunger and passion these "gods among us" pursue their desire to win, knowing those dangers.