Riding the Darkside?

Are you riding the Darkside?

• Um is this a Star Wars thing I thought this was a MC forum?

Votes: 22 22.4%
  • Tried it and didn't like

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tried it and liked it

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Thinking about it

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Would never consider it

Votes: 72 73.5%

• Total voters

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
So one of my buddies is now "riding the dark side" on his XVS13. This is the first time I have ever heard of this. From what I understand it means riding a motorcycle with car tires. My question is has anyone ever done this with an FZ6 or other bike. Whats it like? please share your experiences and opinions. Here is a darkside video [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQtlt-HFFoo"]‪Riding the Dark Side‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, but that's just stupid. I've ridden my bike with severely squared off tire and handling was pretty bad, but I bet it was loads better than it would be with a car tire. Great for drag racing and that's about it.
I guess I just don't get it :don'tknow:

BamBam77

Old but still riding
Reaction score
Visit site
Before I got my fz6 I was looking at a Kaw meanstreak
and on some of their sites they talk about and use them.
They talk about getting 24000 miles on the BACK TIRE

I would be interested in this, I ware out the center of my rear tires ,
Not being a racer or squid I want wear not lean!!!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is about retarded. The rat-rod guys do it for looks, but to actually think it works well is fooling yourself. If you want a long lasting tire buy a touring compound tire and not a sport tire.

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't understand why anyone would do it with an FZ6, but it's not that uncommon for larger touring bikes. If you ride tons of miles (IBR types) on a heavy bike with lots of gear, you're going to eat a lot of tires. And those riders are primarily traveling on slab at high speeds. Handling isn't really an issue.

One of the main selling points of the FZ6 is its handling. And its relatively light weight and small displacement engine keep it from burning through rear tires too quick. Add the fact that it has a sub-par stock seat and wind protection, and I think it's clear there are significant obstacles to long-range trips. It can be done, but it's not a great platform to start with.

As for your friend... don't bother trying to understand someone who rides a cruiser. He wants different things from his motorcycle. It might be a decent set up for him. I mean, it's not like he's losing much in handling. His bike barely leans over at all. Maybe HD will come out with a "Darkside" lineup next year? Sounds badass. Who cares how it actually rides, right?

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea I have given up on trying to understand him and his cruiser thinking but this idea of using a car tire grabbed my attention and I am just curious about it more than anything. I would never try it on my FZ though

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
Touring bikes and heavy cruisers are seeing a lot of riders switching to car tires. It's not retarded or stupid by any means. Why constantly keep spending $$$ on tires if you don't have to? Most tourers I know put at least 10-20 thousand miles a year on their bikes. I haven't tried it yet on my Venture and don't plan to but I'm not going to condemn a rider for trying it. The FZ will always have handling radials on it.

g8anos

Reaction score
Visit site
square tire means no turning... what will you do, if an obstacle gets in front of you? pray?

you will never be able to turn fast enough to avoid it.

As stated above, I've run some of my tires, squared center, and the handling was awful.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Touring bikes and heavy cruisers are seeing a lot of riders switching to car tires. It's not retarded or stupid by any means. Why constantly keep spending $$$ on tires if you don't have to? Most tourers I know put at least 10-20 thousand miles a year on their bikes. I haven't tried it yet on my Venture and don't plan to but I'm not going to condemn a rider for trying it. The FZ will always have handling radials on it.

No really, it is. A car tire isn't designed for a motorcycle, the forces and dynamics that a bike places on a tire a completely different that what a bike places on a tire. I can understand wanting a long lasting tire but to put the wrong tire on, thinking it is a good and safe solution is fooling yourself.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cruiser people lmao. That would work i guess if you are into even worse than stock cruiser handling, less power due to weight, driving everywhere in a straight line and looking like an idiot.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know a couple of people that rock car tires on their rear wheel. They said handling isn't affected much as long as the sidewalls aren't too stiff because the carcass flexes and keeps most of the tread in contact with the road in turns. Riding a 700# bike with a pillon and enough gear for several days for upwards of 20,000 miles a year goes through rear tires quick.

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
Attitudes posted on this subject are why I very rarely post anything here. If an idea doesn't fit neatly into your little world of riding, then it's stupid or retarded. You guys love to complain about how close-minded the cruiser crowd is when you're just as close-minded. I ride in two different worlds of street motorcycling and love both of them as well as riding dirt bikes. I hate to think I would ever shut out a segment of riding simply because I had my head stuck up my backside.

BamBam77

Old but still riding
Reaction score
Visit site
Attitudes posted on this subject are why I very rarely post anything here. If an idea doesn't fit neatly into your little world of riding, then it's stupid or retarded. You guys love to complain about how close-minded the cruiser crowd is when you're just as close-minded. I ride in two different worlds of street motorcycling and love both of them as well as riding dirt bikes. I hate to think I would ever shut out a segment of riding simply because I had my head stuck up my backside.

My thoughts exactly!!!
Other than the back side thing LOL

Last edited:

g8anos

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, here's another open minded idea...

<sarcasm on>
Why don't you put 4 motorcycle sport tires on your car, and find out how that performs...
<sarcasm off>

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Actually there are quite a few guys who run a car tire on their FJR. I know the guy who saw a darksided Gold Wing and was the first to try it on the FJR. Handling isn't all that much different other than a little more effort to start the turn.
A year ago at a gather, a non darksider got a real leason on how well the FJR does handle with a car tire after a very spirited ride in the twisty roads on the Northern Ca coast.
It's mostly the long distance riders who use the car tire and they do get 20,000 + miles out of a rear tire. Would I do it? Nope, but it can be done on the bigger bikes and I suspect it would work on many bikes but on a sport bike? I think not.

ssmotorcycle

The Emmy Winning Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
To each their own. But notice this one is done on a cruiser, not a sport or sport-touring bike. With a cruiser sitting so low, it is never difficult to scrape the pegs or floorboards....I have had a few, trust me I know.

Maybe I have a different riding style, but I wear down the front tire more quickly than the rear anyway....I guess I like to plant the nose in the turns (call me crazy..haha). I think I will leave my 4Runner tires onthe 4Runner, and my Michelin Pilot 2CT's on the FZ6. Ride hard kids!

BamBam77

Old but still riding
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, here's another open minded idea...

<sarcasm on>
Why don't you put 4 motorcycle sport tires on your car, and find out how that performs...
<sarcasm off>

<sarcasm on>
On your Car you'd get 1000 miles of good tire ware LOL:ban:
<sarcasm off>[/QUOTE]

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site

I counted five posts prior to yours that supported darksiding or thought it was reasonable (including my post and your first post). I counted six that thought it was stupid, or dangerous, or mocked anyone who would do it. So I think it's unfair to criticize the forum for being close minded. Granted, the majority of posters (and even moreso the readers thanking them) are wrong on this issue. But it's incorrect to assert that NO ONE is expressing an opposing point of view.

This is a forum for owners of a small standard/sport-oriented motorcycle. Many members are new or relatively inexperienced riders, with little or no experience with large cruisers or long-distance touring on 800+ lb. bikes. I don't think your expectations for an intelligent discussion on this particular topic are reasonable. While I do believe this forum is an excellent source of information, I think we can agree that this particular issue is outside our area of collective expertise.