Riding slower on a faster bike

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
Dh pointed something out to me that he found befuddling (well, one of many things). When we go through the twisties, I'm right behind him on my old Nighthawk 450, but I'm more sedate on my FZ6. We finally figured out why: the Nighthawk's speedometer is in miles per hour, and apparently I don't do simple math while in motion. :BLAA:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like indicated speed is influencing your perceived velocity! Don't watch the speedo, watch the road and listen to the engine! :thumbup:

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like indicated speed is influencing your perceived velocity!

Yep. I always am faster (I'm told) when I don't keep an eye on the speedo.

Don't watch the speedo, watch the road and listen to the engine! :thumbup:

Nooooo! I don't like the idea of flying around corners and being one of those bikers who shoots off into a wall of rock. Or shoots off over the edge of a cliff. Usually a couple of riders die here every year from doing that. :eek:

I want to be able to come off that lake road and be in one piece so I can stop at Tim Horton's on the way home, you see.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Nooooo! I don't like the idea of flying around corners and being one of those bikers who shoots off into a wall of rock. Or shoots off over the edge of a cliff. Usually a couple of riders die here every year from doing that. :eek:

I want to be able to come off that lake road and be in one piece so I can stop at Tim Horton's on the way home, you see.

I'm just trying to say that your eyes are a better judge of the approaching corner and how much speed you can carry through it. Watching the speedo takes your eyes and concentration off the road.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
on a racetrack most guys tape over their speedos as they don't want to be looking at it or scaring themselves! I don't tape over it, but I also don't look at it!

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm just trying to say that your eyes are a better judge of the approaching corner and how much speed you can carry through it. Watching the speedo takes your eyes and concentration off the road.

I get what you're saying. I do.

I'm not convinced it's a good idea to as fast as I feel like, that's the thing. Say the speed limit is 80km/h and you're pushing it perhaps a little bit. You're not even speeding when the suggested speed for the corner is 40 and you're going 80. Which is perfectly doable IF there's no gravel/deer/elk/bear/dog/squirrel/tree on the corner, or an oncoming convertible in your lane.

It gives me the willies just thinking about it.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I get what you're saying. I do.

I'm not convinced it's a good idea to as fast as I feel like, that's the thing. Say the speed limit is 80km/h and you're pushing it perhaps a little bit. You're not even speeding when the suggested speed for the corner is 40 and you're going 80. Which is perfectly doable IF there's no gravel/deer/elk/bear/dog/squirrel/tree on the corner, or an oncoming convertible in your lane.

It gives me the willies just thinking about it.

I spoke with a civil engineer once who did traffic planning and road development. He said when they pick a speed limit the number the number they usually post is 20 mph (approx 30 kmh) under what the maximum safe speed that road could be travelled on. That applies to roads 45 and above. For roads 40 and below it is 10 mph under what the actual maximum safe speed is the speed limit that is posted.

Posted speed limit 55mph - actual max safe speed 75mph
Posted speed limit 25mph - actual max safe speed 35mph

This was a general theory that the civil engineer was talking about and I'm sure everyone can think of an example that disproves it.

So in theory you could easily bomb along at 30 kmh over the posted speed limit. You are right though in the fear of something whether road debris or another living being deciding to get in your path is the worst part about cornering on back country roads.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I spoke with a civil engineer once who did traffic planning and road development. He said when they pick a speed limit the number the number they usually post is 20 mph (approx 30 kmh) under what the maximum safe speed that road could be travelled on. That applies to roads 45 and above. For roads 40 and below it is 10 mph under what the actual maximum safe speed is the speed limit that is posted.

Posted speed limit 55mph - actual max safe speed 75mph
Posted speed limit 25mph - actual max safe speed 35mph

This was a general theory that the civil engineer was talking about and I'm sure everyone can think of an example that disproves it.

So in theory you could easily bomb along at 30 kmh over the posted speed limit. You are right though in the fear of something whether road debris or another living being deciding to get in your path is the worst part about cornering on back country roads.

The problem with that blanket planning for "max safe speed" is that what kind of vehicle does it apply to? Does it only apply to dump trucks carrying a full load? Certainly a sport bike or sport car is going to be able to safely navigate a curve at a much higher rate or speed than a dump truck.

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
You are right

Dude, you walked right into that one. :cheer:

The problem with that blanket planning for "max safe speed" is that what kind of vehicle does it apply to? Does it only apply to dump trucks carrying a full load? Certainly a sport bike or sport car is going to be able to safely navigate a curve at a much higher rate or speed than a dump truck.

And FIZZER6, you can add to that list sport bikes being ridden by riders of varying skills and experience.

on a racetrack most guys tape over their speedos

And greg, sadly, and even though I'm a grandma and want to get back to Tim Horton's in one piece, etc. . . . I occasionally have to remind myself I'm not on a racetrack. I do have that little gremlin inside of me that says things like "Pass dh, you can do it. He's on an old rattletrap. Take him. Dooo iiiiiittttt!" I try not to listen to him, he's a bad little gremlin. So it might be a bad idea for me to ignore the speedo. Dh is a significantly better rider than I am, and if I'm not getting smaller in his mirror, he figures I'm fine at whatever speed he's doing (I suspect he doesn't keep track of such things as speed, either).

Last edited:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Corner speed is all relative ;) in the world of twisties, 0-60 times are ALMOST irrelevant. Went to a track day to watch my buddy a couple years back, on a tight track it's amazing to see some of these guys on 250's tear it up!