Riding from SF to Cabo Mexico

needanewbike

First off; I would love to change the registration of my "handle" but I am short of time and it would take way to long without asking the proper folks to help me.

Needless to say - Hi! My name is Ben. I am the proud partner of Amelia; a 2009 FZ6. I got her brand new off the show room floor in January 2011. Since then we have covered just a touch over 20,000 miles. Mind you I only commute about 4.5 miles a day.

I love my baby. I'll post a longer string about the modifications I have made to make her into a long range cruiser. First and foremost is a proper acknowledgement of Cali-Sci windscreens that changed our world. That was hands down the best purchase I have made for this bike.

Right; next Friday I am leaving on an epic journey. A buddy and I will be leaving SF and heading to Cabo; me on Amelia and he on his BMW K75.

Wanted to collect a few thoughts; First, I've decided I am going with a set of new Scorpions; anyone have any experience? I also ordered a new sprocket; chain; pads and rotors. I will do the work in my garage so I can pack a proper road tool kit.

About 2100 miles ago I had the bike at Yamaha. Under plan I bought back in 11 (and that was the last service on it.....) they did a full tune up including flushing the brake fluid and coolant; plus fuel/air filter. The old guy there gave it a serious once over, tightened a bunch of stuff (replaced the two bolt/nuts I replaced with "whatever") and a good test ride.

That knocks out plugs, coolant, brake fluid, air/fuel filters, oil change, sprocket, chain, tires, pads and rotors, clutch cable (looking very warn), will have the battery tested before I go too; what am I forgetting?

I just did a full once over before I sat down to type this and everything seems dry, tight and in order. With exception to the missing cap for my USB connector (which needed to be re-mounted anyway).

I will pack fuses, plug kit, plugs, fuel filter, air filter, duct tape, zip ties, and an hexkey (thanks kalle). and this killer LED flashlight I found...

Thoughts?

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
First off; I would love to change the registration of my "handle" but I am short of time and it would take way to long without asking the proper folks to help me.

Needless to say - Hi! My name is Ben. I am the proud partner of Amelia; a 2009 FZ6. I got her brand new off the show room floor in January 2011. Since then we have covered just a touch over 20,000 miles. Mind you I only commute about 4.5 miles a day.

I love my baby. I'll post a longer string about the modifications I have made to make her into a long range cruiser. First and foremost is a proper acknowledgement of Cali-Sci windscreens that changed our world. That was hands down the best purchase I have made for this bike.

Right; next Friday I am leaving on an epic journey. A buddy and I will be leaving SF and heading to Cabo; me on Amelia and he on his BMW K75.

Wanted to collect a few thoughts; First, I've decided I am going with a set of new Scorpions; anyone have any experience? I also ordered a new sprocket; chain; pads and rotors. I will do the work in my garage so I can pack a proper road tool kit.

About 2100 miles ago I had the bike at Yamaha. Under plan I bought back in 11 (and that was the last service on it.....) they did a full tune up including flushing the brake fluid and coolant; plus fuel/air filter. The old guy there gave it a serious once over, tightened a bunch of stuff (replaced the two bolt/nuts I replaced with "whatever") and a good test ride.

That knocks out plugs, coolant, brake fluid, air/fuel filters, oil change, sprocket, chain, tires, pads and rotors, clutch cable (looking very warn), will have the battery tested before I go too; what am I forgetting?

I just did a full once over before I sat down to type this and everything seems dry, tight and in order. With exception to the missing cap for my USB connector (which needed to be re-mounted anyway).

I will pack fuses, plug kit, plugs, fuel filter, air filter, duct tape, zip ties, and an hexkey (thanks kalle). and this killer LED flashlight I found...

Thoughts?
Lots and lots of water! Thats a lot of ground to cover:thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
A very small, light weight digital volt meter. Maybe one of those kits to make emergency potable water.

I'll PM you my mobile and maybe if you're coming through the SD area we can hook up and ride or have a bite together. :)

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
I am flying there on Sunday for a week. I can't wait. I hope you have a great ride. The weather has been hot around 90 and 73 the low. Perfect. Good Luck and if you stop at the RIU Palace look me up. Mark Goodale. :rockon: