Riding at high temperature

erro

Reaction score
Visit site
hi to all firstly;i m from turkey...

i have 2006 fz6 fazer bike for 2 years. This summer i m plannig a trip to IRAN on july. this time weather is really really hot. (50-60 oC /120-140 oF). we know this sounds crayz but we really want...unfortunataly we dont have any chance to postpone it to autumn...

do you think that will it be a harmfull for bike, or possibility to have some technical problems...what type of oil should i use and any other advice?

we are planning to ride 3000 km

thnaks for yor advice in advance...

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site

i have 2006 fz6 fazer bike for 2 years. This summer i m plannig a trip to IRAN on july. this time weather is really really hot. (50-60 oC /120-140 oF). we know this sounds crayz but we really want...unfortunataly we dont have any chance to postpone it to autumn...

do you think that will it be a harmfull for bike, or possibility to have some technical problems...what type of oil should i use and any other advice?

I'm not sure on the oil, but you may want to look into a higher weight.

As for the high temps you need to make absolutely sure that your bike has mixed well antifreeze. Not only does antifreeze have a very low freezing rate. It has a higher boiling rate than water as well. Just watch your gauge, Make sure your fan works. It will be fine.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Whatever oil you normally use should be fine, it's the cooling system I'd be concerned about.

If your coolant has not been changed in a long time, I would change it before this trip.

See if you can get your hands on this product and add about 3 ounces to your cooling system: Red Line Synthetic Oil - WaterWetter® Coolant Additives - WaterWetter®

If you get Water Wetter, they recommend 15% coolant + 85% distilled water for best cooling (for street use).

Make sure your fan kicks on as it should, when the coolant temperature starts to climb.

Besides that, I would just do the normal check (tire life and pressure, all fluids fresh and at right level, etc..)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure on the oil, but you may want to look into a higher weight.

As for the high temps you need to make absolutely sure that your bike has mixed well antifreeze. Not only does antifreeze have a very low freezing rate. It has a higher boiling rate than water as well. Just watch your gauge, Make sure your fan works. It will be fine.

LOL.. ya beat me to it.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
http://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/WaterWetter Tech Info.pdf

I've found that in Temps of 100F, take off on inclines can lead to spark knock or detonation when using lower octane fuel. If cruising, this is less of an issue, but stop - go - stop - go in traffic could damage the engine. Use HIGHER octane fuel to reduce spark knock.

FWIW: Owner manual oil chart stops at 130F / 50C and suggested oil use is SAE 20W40.

Careful what you store under the seat! It's gonna be HOT!

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I have my fan on a switch so that I can turn it on constantly should I want to but it still comes on and off with the input from the ecu/temp sensor.
I run a water wetter type additive and it does help significantly! I run my concentration much higher than most tho, I add 2 bottles of that stuff, a few cups of full strength antifreeze and the rest distilled water. Obviously I drain the system and use a different mix for winter months.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
http://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/WaterWetter Tech Info.pdf

I've found that in Temps of 100F, take off on inclines can lead to spark knock or detonation when using lower octane fuel. If cruising, this is less of an issue, but stop - go - stop - go in traffic could damage the engine. Use HIGHER octane fuel to reduce spark knock.

FWIW: Owner manual oil chart stops at 130F / 50C and suggested oil use is SAE 20W40.

Careful what you store under the seat! It's gonna be HOT!

I'm wondering why you don't use 93+ anyways? Maybe it's just me? Takes less spark. It's only going to cost 3$ more..

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the Waterwetter, when I lived in Vegas, I had no need for anti-freeze but the Waterwetter seemed to keep my bike about 10 degrees cooler.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I would definitely put some synthetic in the crankcase when you change the oil and the filter, (since synthetic doesn't change viscosity or break down from heat nearly as easily as the dino stuff).
Too, at those temps be sure your tire pressure is correct and keep an eye on them anyway.
Be sure and keep your chain lubed as at those temps it's going to want to stretch anyway.
Most of all, BE CAREFUL and TAKE CARE OF YOU! (Carry water with you if you can) Good luck!

P.S. Don't fill your tank to the brim and then park it for a meal or whatever. Even if it's not in direct sun heat from your engine rises. I saw dude do this last summer and gasoline went EVERYWHERE from his overflow!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm wondering why you don't use 93+ anyways? Maybe it's just me? Takes less spark. It's only going to cost 3$ more..

Oh I do when temps rise and for that reason. Its likely most folks don't even hear it "rattle" and now with the timing advanced 5 degrees (mine) its gonna get the higher end stuff more often.

Not trying to start a debate, just advice to keep the bike happy.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
how did you advance your timing? thru a Power commander or some other way?

Negative, the computer will advance or retard timing depending on the amount of ping and knock. The PC is fuel maps for given amount of in and out airflow. Hence why to have so many maps, most people would screw up an adjustable timing, but the computer can only pull small amounts, any more would result in total engine failure. (Interference engine)!

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh I do when temps rise and for that reason. Its likely most folks don't even hear it "rattle" and now with the timing advanced 5 degrees (mine) its gonna get the higher end stuff more often.

Not trying to start a debate, just advice to keep the bike happy.

No worries, the nicotine is about out of my system :) and I love my new bike :D

What I ment was, a bike that rotates faster than most drills needs to fire quickly and Effieciently before the next spark. I almost always run higher octane. Have I ran lower? Yes. Do I like to? Nope! The higher and faster revving it is, the higher and more efficient burn there needs to be.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
how did you advance your timing? thru a Power commander or some other way?

Negative, the computer will advance or retard timing depending on the amount of ping and knock. The PC is fuel maps for given amount of in and out airflow. Hence why to have so many maps, most people would screw up an adjustable timing, but the computer can only pull small amounts, any more would result in total engine failure. (Interference engine)!

Way off topic....

FZ has only a pre-programmed map for ignition advance and it has no form of knock detection so it can be damaged as the engine doesn't have a feed back loop to advance or retard the ignition timing if detonation occurs. As such it benefits little from higher octane fuel as far making power or improved MPGs. Higher octane fuel does help control detonation when the odds stack against it.
Mine has the odds stacked against it, I mod'd the trigger wheel advacning it 4.5 degrees. -->> http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...imppact-winter-project-playing-w-trigger.html

/return....

Ben sIII

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
as long as the bike is moving, particularly highway speeds it'll be fine, if you are doing in excess of 60kmh the fan is mostly redundant, only helps when you arent moving. Bigger issue is gear, we just had a whole lot of heat flow this australia, and riding in leathers is not fun when the temps are that high, causes you to fatigue early.

Hobbesca

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wish I was worried about hot weather, its gonna be minus 28 C for the next few weeks ....

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

All good advice posted, have a great trip. If possible I would love to see some pictures of the real people and places of Iran and not the crap "Murdock" stereotypical tripe that gets beamed to my TV.

Nelly

hattu345

Reaction score
Visit site

hah.....I was planning a trip to turkey but eventually postponed it because I thought it would be too much trouble in mid summer and 40 C...... at 50-60C I wouldn't worry so much about the bike as of personal health. I overheated once in strong sun and I don't recommend it. I don't like to say it, but there's a chance it may turn out to be more of a struggle against the heat, than an enjoyable trip.

XTremo

Reaction score
Visit site
We get very high temps in Southern Spain.....up to 45C.

The only minor issue I ever had was the ignition barrel expanding in the heat making it a bitch to turn the key! :D