Rider Insurance !?!

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got a notice in the mail from Rider Insurance (my insurance carrier) that my 2005 FZ6 has been "reclassified" as a Sport/High Performance bike, and "this change will affect your policy premium as well as your eligibility for certain discounts."

WTF !?!

Edit: I was just reading up on some other forums and rates are skyrocketing!!! This really sucks. From their website: Rider Insurance Policies & Forms

I can definitely see some of those as being sport/high performance but the FZ is usually considered a standard by most insurance companies. Problem is I don't have a car and so don't get multi-line discounts with any other carriers.

Last edited:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Kawasaki Versys a sports bike?! Think it's time to change insurers mate......

EDIT: And you've got to laugh at the "All Ducatis". Lol.

Do you think they've lumped the FZ6 in with the new 07 and, more likely, 09 over there? I think the "MT" tag over here is helping to separate the classes in insurance.

Last edited:

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
The people on the Ducati 1198 forums are whining about their bikes now being re-classified...

I did a little more digging and Rider switched under writers last year which maybe has something to do with it.

I guess I will have to switch insurance now. Really stinks as with this reclassification besides my rates probably tripling I no longer get my 25% discount for being a safe rider nor will they cover any aftermarket or gear on the bikes which they did in the past up to $8,000.

Since the rates were so good I bumped up all my coverage and felt really good about it. Oh well...

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
So my full coverage went from $230/yr to $750/yr and it no longer covers $8000 in aftermarket parts or accessories like gear as it did previously.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you checked with Progressive? I have the upper hand sorta, being in the military and multi vehicles. I have not checked with them about a hike in rates tho, will do tomorrow.

DMP84

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes I received the same notice, I was paying Rider full coverage around $270 a year (not the greatest zip code) and once the renewal came in they asked for $1500 a year. kookoo. I called up Progressive (and also moved to a much better area 2 weeks ago) and they are charging me $130 for the whole year full coverage. Good luck!

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
700$ a year for me, full on FZ09. Of course 18 points will do that.

Before the "it's my fault rates are so high" rant begins, these are 99% automobe related :)

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
I got a quote from Progressive for less than Rider was. Any experience with Progressive? For about $20 more I can go with State Farm. Progressive wants $214 for the year and State Farm was 23something.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I have Progressive Auto and Motorcycle insurance and though I have never had to file a claim the rates are awesome and their website is the easiest insurance site to manage your policies of any.

I pay $12.70/month to insure my FZ6 full coverage with $250 deductibles on Comp and Collision. I really can't complain and doubt I can do better. Being over 30, married homeowner with a perfect driving record helps.

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder if I should lower deductibles from 500 to 250. Does being a home owner give you a discount? I told them I wasnt because I dont live in the house I own.

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder if I should lower deductibles from 500 to 250. Does being a home owner give you a discount? I told them I wasnt because I dont live in the house I own.

Unless they insure the house you own, probably not but will defer to those more in the know. I haven't worked in the insurance world since 2003 and even then, I was in IT.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Time to shop around for a new insurance company!

I agree, plenty of insurance companies. I'm with Statefarm, and pay $140 for full coverage a year, plus I also padded my underinsured. But Statefarm does not cover gear except for your helmet.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I got a quote from Progressive for less than Rider was. Any experience with Progressive? For about $20 more I can go with State Farm. Progressive wants $214 for the year and State Farm was 23something.

Take a motorcycle safety course, your premiums will even be less since you would be eligible for extra discounts.

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm paying $186 to Progressive for a year's worth on my FZ6 with upped medical and other additions, including equipment and roadside assistance. (Paying another $274 for my Tuono)

Fz672110

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got Dairyland insurance with upped medical, roadside, and whatever else is thrown in there. I pay $90 a month. I'm 18 and couldn't get some to even consider insuring me because of age. Geico wanted $250 PER MONTH. Anybody know when I can expect it to be reasonable?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got Dairyland insurance with upped medical, roadside, and whatever else is thrown in there. I pay $90 a month. I'm 18 and couldn't get some to even consider insuring me because of age. Geico wanted $250 PER MONTH. Anybody know when I can expect it to be reasonable?

Wow, that's high. But you are 18. I know Statefarm goes by the engine size, they don't care if it's a cruiser, touring or sport bike. They don't offer medical for motorcycles.