Ride on ZX6R...

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all fellow riders!
So today i went out on a little cruise on my bro's recently purchased 2002 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R. I was curious to see how i'd fare on it as i'm tall (6'6", 36" inseem, 185lbs). First things first, seating position: Wayy foward compare to our FZ6's. Grips are much lower, furthur away, and in a inward angle. I was suprised though by how manuverable it actually is, did a pretty tight u-turn with no worries. I felt that the throttle was not as smooth but then again it is carburated, or i was not able to dose it as efficently as i could on the FZ6, we came to the conclusion this was probably because of the foward position, lots of weight on the handles so more tedious to give it just a tiny twist of throttle as opposed to on my FZ6 with the upright position. Riding around was fine, you get used to the position, not as bad as i thought, but on long trips probably would have to stop alot more to stretch body and relax than with my FZ6! Now the fun part! Got on a straight piece of road, no cops, i open it up, man this thing pulls, especially towards the redline. It does have almost 30hp more than my FZ6 (98hp vs 111hp) but i felt you needed to have it in the upper rpms to get it to move, as where the FZ6 midrange gets you started and powerband finishes off the accel...I found the turning a little awkward. I only did city riding, i assume in the twisties is were the ZX6R will shine most. So overall very fun bike, position better than i thought but i'll stick with my FZ6 :p, its "perfect" for me :thumbup:

Last edited:
H

HavBlue

The ZX6R was rated at 111hp@12,500 rpm where the ZX7R, which was a 748cc machine was rated at 126hp. The ZX6R is in the class with the R6 and much of the pull is gearing as opposed to brut horsepower. Glad you had a good experience with an RR type bike. Using your back to support yourself will relieve the stress on your wrists.

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
The ZX6R was rated at 111hp@12,500 rpm where the ZX7R, which was a 748cc machine was rated at 126hp. The ZX6R is in the class with the R6 and much of the pull is gearing as opposed to brut horsepower. Glad you had a good experience with an RR type bike. Using your back to support yourself will relieve the stress on your wrists.
Yes i stand corrected (thx) 111hp is right ;)
Yeah i talked about the throttle to my buddies with R6's and they told me the throttle is abit harder to dose than on our FZ6's. But once you get used to it i'm sure you can like you say take weight off the wrists.

H

HavBlue

Yes i stand corrected (thx) 111hp is right ;)
Yeah i talked about the throttle to my buddies with R6's and they told me the throttle is abit harder to dose than on our FZ6's. But once you get used to it i'm sure you can like you say take weight off the wrists.

I ride my FZ6 quite different than most folks as I enjoy the tucked position and can stay there for hours of riding. I allow my back and stomach muscles to do the work as opposed to my wrists and to me I get a far better feel for the feedback and input side of things. It also pretty much eliminates wrist and palm fatigue. If I slow down to say 60 or below I'll come upright but that's pretty slow for me. I like being able to just use my fingers and thumbs as opposed to actually grabbing the grips. When I come upright I'll use more of my hands and wrists. Did your buddies R6's have the throttle by wire controls? If so, they're very cool indeed and the resistance is totally different.

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
I owned a yellow 01 ZX6R right before my 07 sexier red FZ6. It feels about the same quickness up to about 120, after that, i think that the zx will pull away. In the twistys tho, who knows.

Nick

H

HavBlue

I owned a yellow 01 ZX6R right before my 07 sexier red FZ6. It feels about the same quickness up to about 120, after that, i think that the zx will pull away. In the twistys tho, who knows.

Nick

With equal riders the ZX6 should walk all over the FZ6 in the twisties. The bike's gearing is much better suited as is the weight and flick factor. Having spent some quality time on an R6 I can honestly say there is little to compare other than they both have tuning forks on the tank.

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all fellow riders!
So today i went out on a little cruise on my bro's recently purchased 2002 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R. I was curious to see how i'd fare on it as i'm tall (6'6\\\\\", 36\\\\\" inseem, 185lbs). First things first, seating position: Wayy foward compare to our FZ6's. Grips are much lower, furthur away, and in a inward angle. I was suprised though by how manuverable it actually is, did a pretty tight u-turn with no worries. I felt that the throttle was not as smooth but then again it is carburated, or i was not able to dose it as efficently as i could on the FZ6, we came to the conclusion this was probably because of the foward position, lots of weight on the handles so more tedious to give it just a tiny twist of throttle as opposed to on my FZ6 with the upright position. Riding around was fine, you get used to the position, not as bad as i thought, but on long trips probably would have to stop alot more to stretch body and relax than with my FZ6! Now the fun part! Got on a straight piece of road, no cops, i open it up, man this thing pulls, especially towards the redline. It does have almost 30hp more than my FZ6 (98hp vs 111hp) but i felt you needed to have it in the upper rpms to get it to move, as where the FZ6 midrange gets you started and powerband finishes off the accel...I found the turning a little awkward. I only did city riding, i assume in the twisties is were the ZX6R will shine most. So overall very fun bike, position better than i thought but i'll stick with my FZ6 :p, its \\\\\"perfect\\\\\" for me :thumbup:

Is math taking a hard hit or am I missing something?:p

Shafe716

Reaction score
Visit site
My bestfriend just bought an 08, good deal end of the summer kind of thing. I took it for a ride for about 10 minutes and had to clean my shorts after:eek: I'm now scared of that thing! it's not that its fast and gets up and goes like it's on fire, it's the riding position. Now I'm only 5'11" but i felt like my head was over the front tire! I could see the tip of the front fairing. I felt like in an e-braking situation i would be up and over the handlebars with very little effort. I told him he can keep it!