Review: Yamaha's tall "Touring" windshield

Shantideva

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the tall factory screen on my 06. I'm 5'-11" it does help protect the chest better specially with the Bar Back up and back offset. I was experiencing just a bit more turbulance around the helmet area than I wanted so on top of this put a laminar lip. I mounted it such that it's aprox 3" taller (a little over half the lip above). The air is now hitting just about at the top of my visor and a little further out on the shoulders. Because the lip was designed for the stock shield the fit to taller with it's "own" lip is off just a bit for the lock tabs to mate perfectly, specially the bottom ones. To solve this (even though I ran it up to 110mph and it stayed on) I got 2 "C" clamps heated the lower portion of lip (while on tall shield) put a rag for protection and clamped being careful not to over tighten but just enough to slightly bent the lip. When it cooled the fit was perfect.
Riding there is a bit of shield shake but nothing annoying. I ordered a smoke color which with bar backs (looks cool) but more allows me to see over to within 12 feet of front wheel.
I'm thinking of setting up a second set of "tabs" so I can possibly raise the lip another - as close to 2 inches as possible. This might just get the air completely over my helmet. In any event the tabs seem to work and seem if need to be repositioned can come off with a slow peel.

ChromeX, I am thinking of doing this same set up. Would you still recommend it? Have any pics to share?

emsee

Reaction score
Visit site
However, I figured the wind is nothing compared to the guys who have the streetfighter bikes. So, no complaints here.:thumbup:

Thank you for realizing that! Riding a completely naked bike gets your whole torso blasted with wind, like a big sail. It seems that those with windshields are always trying to find one that is taller to put the wind in a more comfortable place. From what I've seen, unless you go to a huge cruiser like windscreen, you'll always have to have compromises. Most windscreens are going to cause some head turbulence whereas all naked bikes will just push you back in "clean" wind. At least, that's been my experience. :thumbup:

perkz

Reaction score
Visit site
My 2 cents. I ordered the Yamaha touring windshield for a 2009 FZ6 (different than the "tall" windshield for the pre 2007 bikes). I paid $120 at Fun Bike Center in San DIego. I am 5'9" 162 lbs with 30 inch inseam (so I have a tall torso). I wanted the windshield because the highway speeds in SD run 70-80 mph (going slower is dangerous) and I was getting a lot of stones and high winds at my head. The touring windshield did reduce the wind a lot on my torso and a little on my head. It made it much easier to turn my head back to look to turn at high speeds. Overall I like the effect; but again it is not a dramatic impact. I attached some photos. THe first photo shows the touring shield placed over the standard shield so you can see the size difference. It is a light grey tint.

Yamaha put a warning sticker on about not using solvants but the sticker does not come off (annoying)