Review: Joe Rocket CE Rated Back Armor

Knabel

Reaction score
Visit site
I just purchased the Joe Rocket CE Rated back armor from Kneedraggers.com. I think it was around $80. I ordered it Sunday March 14, 2010 around noon eastern and it arrived at 4.30pm Wednesday March 17.

I bought it to replace the stock back armor in my Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket (Large).

I have to say, I am impressed so far. To say it is significantly more substantial than stock is a huge understatement. Stock is a piece of light foam, which may have offered decent protection. In all, very light.
The CE Armor weighs more than a dinner plate. Feels like it will offer MUCH more protection.

The dimensions are almost identical...w/in 1/8" of stock.

I expect it to flow more air as, the whole pad is vented vs the stock is only vented in about 6 places. I doubt the difference in ventilation will be noticeable, but on a hot day it may be enough to trick me into feeling cooler...gotta love the placebo effect. :)

Last edited:

Knabel

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I just took it out for a 5 minute ride to test my new Puig Racing windscreen (review coming), and I love the new armor.

It is more pliable that stock, so the jacket seems to move with your body more.

...but all the above raving could be me trying to feel good about spending another $80 in the name of safety. :)

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the on-the-body version of that same piece and love it. I've been wearing it for two years and don't even notice it's there.

I got a new 2-piece suit this winter and I'm not sure if I'm gonna be able to use the back protector with it, as I'd have to tuck the bottom down into the back of my pants so I can zip the jacket and pants together. Because of that, I've been considering getting one of these in-jacket models, so thanks for the review! :thumbup:

thejuice

Reaction score
Visit site
i bought one of these a few months ago to replace the stock foam pad in my joe rocket meteor jacket as well. paid around $80. then in december, when the cycle world international show came to town, i saw something similar being sold at the Johnson Leathers booth at the show.

Forcefield Backpad Inserts

it may just be me, but the forcefield backpad insert sold by johnson leather seems very similar, if not the same as, the joe rocket branded backpad insert for our jackets.

however, johnson leathers/forcefield is selling the same pad for $100 online. there was no show special either. so unless they are not the same product, i'm glad i paid $80 for joe rocket instead of $100 for forcefield.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I did a ton of research on the Forcefield/Joe Rocket back protectors when I was looking to buy one and from everything I found, they are the same thing.

The difference is exactly what you said...the on-the-body Forcefield back protector is about $150 while the JR version is $125.

Knabel

Reaction score
Visit site
Now I have a few more miles on the new back pad, I thought I would update my review.

It feels like the new back pad conforms more to my back. I am not sure I like this. I think it will be very 'sticky' in the summer. Kinda like when you are sweating and your shirt sticks to your back...I see the new back pad doing some of that this summer. In contrast to how the stock back pad did not conform to my back, actually holding the jacket a little away from my back.
This criticism is relatively minor. I feel very strongly IF I were to ever go sliding on my back I am much more protected. I am just trying to fully explain my only dislike about the back pad.

The other thing to consider about is, the CE rated back pad is significantly heavier than the original. You can definitely tell a difference when you pick up the jacket. However, upon donning the jacket, I can not notice a weight difference.

To summarize, the extra weight is not noticeable when it matters, while wearing the jacket.
I can not say for sure, but I expect the jacket to be less comfortable on those humid 90 degree days here in Louisville.
All that considered, I plan to buy one for my wife's jacket next time I place an order from Kneedraggers.com the next time I talk her into a new item for the bike...maybe Pazzo levers? :)