replacing steering stem bearings

tjhess74

boo-yah!
Reaction score
Visit site
after acquiring my 08 recently, i discovered that it too has the dreaded ball type head bearings. i prefer the tapered ones, so i replaced them with tapered bearings from all balls racing.

ive found an easy way to to this, although ymmv.

i put a bungee around the front to hold the handle bars back/up and removed the inner dash panel.

after taking the forks/wheel off, i hammered out the old races. i used a 4"x4" square of plywood and a large socket to hammer the new ones in. the new races sat in the freezer for a few hours, then put them in place, put plywood over them, then the socket, then hammer into place. they went in nicely.

i used a self sacrificing cut off wheel on my dremel and cut a deep groove into the race on the steering stem. the groove was cut at a shallow angle to accommodate the dremel and not to cut the stem or bottom clamp...dont go to deep or youll nick the stem itself.
008.jpg

once the groove was cut, i put a large screwdriver blade into it, then popped it with a hammer. this split the race and it practically slid right off.

reinstalling the new stem race is just a matter of using the old one and a punch/hammer to seat it in place. hammer, turn the stem, hammer, turn the stem...well, you get the idea.

Last edited: