Renthal handlebar

dimos

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

today I got my new Renthal ultra low handlebar but I am not so happy :(

I realized that I spent nearly £45 for new handlebar ends (original Yamaha) and they do not fit my new handlebar. The are threaded and the diameter of their bolt is substantially larger than the diameter of my new handlebar's hole.

Am I missing something here? I think that I should have purchased the FZ1 handlebar in the first place assuming that the bar-ends would fit on it.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, stock bar ends won't work. Few people HAVE tapped aluminum bars to accept stock bar ends and I don't remember ever hearing anyone mention that they experienced any issues, but in general, tapping is not recommended.
The issue with the Renthal bar ends is that they do absolutely nothing to minimize vibration. I guarantee you will feel a whole lot more vibes than you did with stock setup.
HVMP makes great heavy bar ends, but it'll cost you. Same goes for Manic Salamander. Neither of them recommend using heavy bar ends on aluminum bars, but plenty of people do that without issues.

dimos

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Erci for the useful reply.

Due to their weight, HVMP and ManSal bars will cost me over $75, which is way too much for bar ends.

I would rather buy the FZ1 bar from US seller for roughly the same money, and keep the new original FZ6 bar ends to fit them on it.

Hmm, I don't know what to do. :confused::confused:
The problem is that I've already bought from Yamaha the genuine FZ6 bar ends (£45) and have also already bought the Renthal handlebar. It was not a smart move ... :mad:

If I can't return the bar ends back to Yamaha (which is a science fiction scenario..) I have 2 options:
  • buy cheap bar ends and wait for a good FZ1 handlebar deal
  • buy something like that: [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/MOTORCYCLE-ENDS-SLIM-SUIT-BLACK/dp/B002W6USSE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288830528&sr=1-1]MOTORCYCLE BAR ENDS, SLIM TO SUIT 13mm BORE BLACK: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike[/ame]

The renthal bar has inside diameter 13mm, so, the variety of end bars I can use is somewhat constrained.

Cheers

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're set on using your Renthal bar, one of the cheaper ways you can go about it is to get any cheap bar end set (don't worry about the ones that say minimum internal diameter of 14mm.. you can trim the expanding rubber and make them work just fine on Renthals) and fill the bar with BB shot.

dimos

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe the vibrations are a bit different in the naked version than in the faired one. The reason is that handlebar carries the mirrors and also the steering (front) has more weight on it.
Just a thought, not something that I have actually observed.

Tks

p.s.: smart tip the BB shots

gav

Reaction score
Visit site
If I can't return the bar ends back to Yamaha (which is a science fiction scenario..) I have 2 options:

The renthal bar has inside diameter 13mm, so, the variety of end bars I can use is somewhat constrained.

Cheers

Hi,

I have Renthal bars and fitted the slim "Bike It" bar ends you posted in that link, except I got mine from here on eBay for £1 less :)

I don't get any bad vibrations with them, but I didn't have that problem before fitting the bar ends anyway!

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
The heavier the bar-ends the better they are at soaking up the vibes. Also, ones that fit using metal instead of rubber will soak up more vibes too. Oberon use a good fitting system, but their bar-ends are alloy (ie aluminium) and you need steel for density (weight). I bought some cheap bike-it stainless bar-ends that I bodged to fit to my renthals, but they are still not as heavy as stock.

tapping the bars and fitting the stock yamaha bar-ends will be the best anti-vibrational method you can get. We can't get cheap, heavy bar-ends in the UK. :( If you can source the tap, I'll buy it off you to do my bars after you've used it. :thumbup: I miss the weight of my stock bar-ends.

The Renthals are better at absorving vibes than the stock bars, but it's pretty much impossible to find bar-ends that are as good as the stock ones. I've done loads of experimenting with mine, you can see them in my site link below.

teis919

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi , i plan to put renthal ultra low on my bike with manic salamander bar ends ( if the vibrations are too bad !!). Manic bar ends use a stainless expanding nut to fit the bars. Is it better to use a rubber nut on aluminium bars instead of stainless ?

Also i'm a little concerned about the warning on manic website that says aluminium bars could crack if to stressed by vibrations with heavy bar ends .

Are there a lot of people that use like 12-13oz bar ends with the renthal ?

Thanks