Removing threaded inserts from bars??

OKstate311

Gettin' Fizzy wit it
Reaction score
myspace.com
Picked up some sweet-looking bar-ends at one of my local dealerships today, got good weight to them, too. Only problem is, they're universal/threadless and I still have the stock handlebars.

Is there a way to (safely) remove the threaded inserts from inside of the handlebars? Or do I need to return these/keep them in a drawer in the event that I upgrade the bars to something with no threads?

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You can drill out the weld that holds them in. Also Rizoma makes an adapter that may work for you.

OKstate311

Gettin' Fizzy wit it
Reaction score
myspace.com
You can drill out the weld that holds them in. Also Rizoma makes an adapter that may work for you.

So... sounds like a permanent mod!! I'll probably add these to my collection of "random motorcycle crap" and try to find some similar type ends that are threaded.

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
hey i am in the same situation as you i got oxford bar ends , after some thought and research putting lighter bar ends will cause vibration i've read.

i also came up with the idea to slightly cut the rubber around the aftermarket so that it will fit in the threaded hole . most likely i will return mine though unless someone can tell me are there PROS in steering performance or vibration ?:thumbup:

OKstate311

Gettin' Fizzy wit it
Reaction score
myspace.com
hey i am in the same situation as you i got oxford bar ends , after some thought and research putting lighter bar ends will cause vibration i've read.

i also came up with the idea to slightly cut the rubber around the aftermarket so that it will fit in the threaded hole . most likely i will return mine though unless someone can tell me are there PROS in steering performance or vibration ?:thumbup:

Heavier is DEFINITELY better. That was the main reason I bought these. I need to find some really heavy ones that are threaded and have a little flair to them. Picky, right?? :thumbup:

Nomad

Reaction score
Visit site
My advice would be to return the universal fit units and replace them with Kaoko, or Throttlemeister throttle controls (bar end units). If you have any intent of long-distance riding, you'll appreciate the ability to friction the throttle so you can stretch your throttle hand without stopping the bike.