Remote reservoir mounting for YA 543 Ohlins

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
I'm finally getting around to installing the used YA 543 Ohlins that I picked up for my 2004 FZ6 a few months ago, and I was wondering if anyone had some good pictures of the reservoir mounted on their 2004-2006 FZ6?

I'm changing the rear tire and since everything was out, I was able to swap the stock shock for the YA 543 with no problem, but I'm not really sure how/where to mount the remote reservoir properly.

I was concerned about the rear shock bolt spacer being frozen after reading some stories on here, but then I remembered that I already had it out before when I swapped a 2007+ swingarm on the bike. Sure enough, my garage queen FZ6 had no problems with that spacer coming out.

I saw somebody else's post that they cut the plastic before the seat lock, but I was able to fit the remote reservoir through the gap there and was hoping to not hack any plastic.

Unfortunately, I again broke the bolt in my early version mojolever, so my tire change will have to wait until I can hit the hardware store and get the correct sized bolt that I need. :( The early version mojolever that I have, uses a smaller bolt, and if you don't have good technique, you can bend/break the bolt/tip when doing the initial dismount. It's been a few years since I changed a tire, and I thought I remembered how to do it, but I suppose my technique was a bit rough.... Reading the instructions afterwards (typical guy move, eh?), it shows that I needed to pull the bead up as high as possible before flipping the lever over towards the center to dismount the first section of tire. Well, I didn't pull the bead up, and just tried to do the bead flip from the center of the rim. That apparently was too much for the smaller bolt that holds the tip on.

Thankfully, the bolt broke with a nice jagged piece of thread sticking up out of the mojolever, and I was able to use a hammer and drift to unscrew the broken part out of the hole. The delrin tip doesn't seem too damaged to reuse, so hopefully I'll be okay.

Attached are pictures of the shock installed, and the broken mojolever bolt.