Relay info.

yam ah haaa

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone. I purchased some LED turn signals. upon opening them i realized they are a 2 wire set up meaning i can only use them as either signals or running light but not both unless i employ the use of a relay. I have a basic understanding of electrical ciruits i just dont know what kind of relay im looking to buy or where to get one. unless theres one being used on the bike already that i can tap into?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to research this and get back to you within an hour! I've already got the set up in my head. I'll make you a schematic and find a radio shack relay you can use. :rockon:

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
you shouldnt have to do all that you have a ground and a power just find a good ground and hook the hot up to the original hot i have a two wire signal hooked up the same way and it works fine

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
nevermind i missed the part about wanting to use them as a running lamp as well as signal in that case piggy back off the flasher relay

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay I whipped up a quick relay control to do this. You will make one unit for each side and use the color code I listed for left and right signals.
Running light color code is Blue with a red tracer on both sides of the bike.
Right directional is Dark Green wire.
Left directional is Chocolate.

In a minute I'll have a radio shack relay you can use.

Edit: Here you are! 12VDC/3A DPDT Plug-In Relay & Socket - RadioShack.com
pRS1C-2110711w345.jpg

Last edited:

yam ah haaa

Reaction score
Visit site
I think i read in another thread on this site about someone hooking up their 2 wire LEDS with 1 wire going to the positive running light wire and the other to the positive turn signal wire and magically it worked as both. Whats up with that? LOL

philosopheriam

aka: Mr. Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site
On the FZ6, only the front turn signals act as running lights...

So, purchase one set (includes x2 magic blinkers) and install one per side on the front - this will allow you to adapt from the three wires to a standard two-wire led turn signal.

The three wires to each front turn are as follows:
Ground
+12v running light
+12v turn signal

On the rear signals, there are only two wires per side, because as I mentioned earlier, the rears only act as signals, not running lights.

While your at it, order a LED turn signal relay from Custom LED and you will never have problems with fast flash, etc...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Custom LED Magic Blinker Relay - Convert 2 wire LED blinker to 3 wire

This is what I use to run my 2-wire fron LED turn signals as running lights...

Those are great!

those look pretty cool. It says it comes with 2 relays. How many would i need if im installing front and rear LEDS?

You don't need them for the rear because you're just running the directional signal at the rear.(No running lamp) Your tail lamp is the running light in the back. You just need the front kit philosopheriam posted in that link. You may have to also get an electronic relay because the OEM flasher relay may work at the wrong flash rate or not at all. I believe hat same site has the electronic flasher relay for your LED setup.

yam ah haaa

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok great. Thanx so much for all your help guys. I wish some of you were from new york so we can ride 2gether. seems like everyone is from california lol.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In short it goes like this then?

Running lights always = +12v w/key on (RL).
Turns Signals are +12V 50% duty cycle when active (TS).

Using a normally closed relay would allow running lights always on with key. Then using the bikes turn lamp wire (TS) to the relays input, when the TS is active, the relay opens and the loses power to the lamp thus having a 50% duty cycle for flash?

Seems like it should work with a solid state relay.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In short it goes like this then?

Running lights always = +12v w/key on (RL).
Turns Signals are +12V 50% duty cycle when active (TS).

Using a normally closed relay would allow running lights always on with key. Then using the bikes turn lamp wire (TS) to the relays input, when the TS is active, the relay opens and the loses power to the lamp thus having a 50% duty cycle for flash?

Seems like it should work with a solid state relay.

Exactly! :rockon:

Eli05FZ600

Reaction score
Visit site
i have led turn lights and just added a intergrated tail light two. i got a relay to slow my led lights down just wondering if anyone knew how to hook up the relay thanks

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Your flasher relay should be inside the left front area of the fairing near the bottom. It's mounted on a rubber doohicky that slides onto a plastic tab on the inside of the fairing. :D

Eli05FZ600

Reaction score
Visit site
never mind i went out there last night and sure enough i unpluged the relay you was talking about and pluged the new one in and i was done thanks for the info you saved me alot of work. im almost done with the dual headlight mod now.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
never mind i went out there last night and sure enough i unpluged the relay you was talking about and pluged the new one in and i was done thanks for the info you saved me alot of work. im almost done with the dual headlight mod now.

I almost missed it! :welcome:to our great forum!