Regular or Premium gas?

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
What octane number should you buy?
Modern fuel-injected engines have engine management systems that can adjust to burn almost anything. However, if the octane rating is too low, the engine management system will have to richen the mixture and retard the timing to prevent destructive knock, resulting in lowered gas mileage. As you increase the octane rating of the fuel, you will hit a point where the engine management system can run the engine at optimum levels.

Our bike does not have these capabilities. :banghead:
________
MARIJUANA SEED

Last edited:
S

sportrider

I've always ran premo in all my motorcycles, but after some discussion on the site I begrudgingly decided to give 87 a shot. after logging over 8000 miles on 91 I was sure I'd feel a difference in performance or see a decrease in fuel economy. I saw neither. the bike runs the same and I'm going the same distance on a tank. I now run 87 always.
I've always been big enough to admit when I'm wrong. on another thread I talked about "the small difference in price" and said I'd only run 91. so here's to eating a piece of humble pie!!!:thumbup:

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
Well the big question is, what sensors do these motors use?

If they have the full suite, O2 (they do for sure), MAP (guessing they do), Mass Air (again this one for sure), after cat. O2 (probably not), knock (Probably not, though they might), then we would know the capabilities of the management system.

My next question is which is more effective or efficient, the stock management system, the one off of a R6, or a Mega Squirt system? Might be fun to play around with something that tuneable.:thumbup:

poorwboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Well the big question is, what sensors do these motors use?

If they have the full suite, O2 (they do for sure), MAP (guessing they do), Mass Air (again this one for sure), after cat. O2 (probably not), knock (Probably not, though they might), then we would know the capabilities of the management system.

My next question is which is more effective or efficient, the stock management system, the one off of a R6, or a Mega Squirt system? Might be fun to play around with something that tuneable.:thumbup:

Where do they have a mass air sensor at? Map and mass air sensor basiclly serve the same purpose, so I doubt they have both. I dont think you can put a megasquirt because of the way the flywheels are inside the motor. But I also really like to know the same as you. What kind of program obd11 or what. Im curious now.

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
compression ratio

Ok, FZ6 has a compression ratio of 12.2:1. does that suggest fairly high compression ergo, higher rated fuel? Does compression ratio on bike work the same as in a car?

W

wrightme43

What octane number should you buy?
Modern fuel-injected engines have engine management systems that can adjust to burn almost anything. However, if the octane rating is too low, the engine management system will have to richen the mixture and retard the timing to prevent destructive knock, resulting in lowered gas mileage. As you increase the octane rating of the fuel, you will hit a point where the engine management system can run the engine at optimum levels. At this point you have best gas mileage and best power. If you continue to increase the octane rating of the fuel, the engine management system does nothing, so all you are doing now is burning more expensive fuel for the same result. So, buy the lowest octane number that you can and still get your best gas mileage.

In the winter, or when it's very humid, you can often lower the required octane number. In very dry heat, for example in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, S.California, you will most likely need to raise the octane level a bit to get best gas mileage.

THE ABOVE IS A QUOTE FROM BELOW

All About Gasoline

It even says so in this post.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I ran out of gas once in the middle of no where. I walked a couple miles to a farmer's house and used the 2cycle mixed fuel he gave me to get to the gas station...smoke was kinda blue but it got me there!
________
Volcano vaporizers

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

LOL I have done that with my old 250 inline 6 cyl chevy I built. I actually snagged the weedeater gas and went to go see a girl.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn..I had a reply written and it got wiped!!

Anyways my point was that you guys in the USA have NO idea what expensive fuel is!! :) Just from reading the first few posts on page one of this post it is clear that you find 3.54 dollars per US gallon to be expensive ?? Huh?? Thats really cheap!!

Our fuel costs a hell of alot more. They work out to be exactly 5.91 dollars per gallon and that is just the lower end. Some petrol stations are charging 6.95 dollars per gallon.

You guys should be happy that fuel is cheap in the US.

S

sportrider

Damn..I had a reply written and it got wiped!!

Anyways my point was that you guys in the USA have NO idea what expensive fuel is!! :) Just from reading the first few posts on page one of this post it is clear that you find 3.54 dollars per US gallon to be expensive ?? Huh?? Thats really cheap!!

Our fuel costs a hell of alot more. They work out to be exactly 5.91 dollars per gallon and that is just the lower end. Some petrol stations are charging 6.95 dollars per gallon.

You guys should be happy that fuel is cheap in the US.
I feel sorry for you!!! the fact is we pay way to much for gas, and the fact that you think our gas prices are cheap tells me your getting raped at the pumps!!!

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
I feel sorry for you!!! the fact is we pay way to much for gas,

:eek:

Come to Ireland/England (even dearer than ireland), France (more expensive than Ireland and England)...and I'd say you'd have a heart attack with the high price.

I'm not going into politics but our fuel was much much cheaper before the Iraq war began. Shows how fragile our "powerful economy" really is!! But so long as I can keep biking I'm happy... and fuel to fill a bike only sets me back 20 euro per week...so its livable!! :)

Mart Man FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I started using 87 octane, but found that when I was riding on days when the temp exceeded 100 deg. I was getting some pinging especially when taking off from a stop, so I went to 89 octane. Bike doesn't ping in the heat any more, but I plan to go back to the 87 octane gas when it cools off.