Regular fuel - stabilizer - winter storage

Chapin

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok. Some of the bikers in my city have been posting on our citys sport biker Facebook page that "if you store your bike with regular fuel in it, it's not good. Even with stabilizer!"
Now I've been storing my bikes for years with regular fuel and stabilizer and have had no problems.
Whats your guys opinions?
The stabilizer I use (sta-bil) says that it works with regular fuel (15% ethanol)

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch! In Canada you have 15% ethanol? Poor guys. Keep your gas tank full and add the prescribed amount of Stabil. You guys up there in the frigid north have to be experts in winterizing so I'm preaching to the choir, huh?.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Keeping it brimmed is a major aspect of success. When parked for 3 to 4 winter months I've had no issues doing nothing but filling the tank full. That said in the runs before parking it in November, I burn Chevron Techron through to extract the moisture from the seasons use.... so far no issues.

Basically if the tank is full there is little exposure for oxygen to act as a catalyst and break down the fuel and rust the tank. Obviously the methanol attracks moisture and with the tank full it limits the exposed area that moisture can condense on and/or damage with rust....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just cleaned a generator carb that was stored with Stabil... I've had very bad experiences with it personally... Great for business thou!!

Either use "Gas Shok" or "K100" both are excellent. I use K100 in the boat as the fuel tends to be used very little over the season with NON-Ethanol fuel. It keeps fuel good up to TWO YEARS.. (And I have pulled TWO year old fuel from the boat which smelled/looked like new).

If you go to a Marina, (at least down here), you should be able to get non-ethanol fuel for storage purposes.
Your much less likely to have issues with that...

Carbs are more susceptible to clogging the jets vs FI'ed engines... Fuel evaporates from the bowl and causes varnish..

Check out post #20, second picture: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/57542-no-start-suggestions-2.html

Last edited:

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
If you fill up with premium (or marina fuel, which is premium or at least ethanol free), then add stabilizer you should be fine, ethanol is hydroscopic, meaning it attracts water, this is why marinas only sell premium or ethanol free fuel because of the inherently wet environment and for boats that use fiberglass fuel tanks. You don't want a fuel that will take on moisture sitting in a bike when it wont be used within a month or so.

I live in Canada and have stored the bike for 4 full winters this way, always starts up no problem and runs perfect come spring, just run it a bit with the stabilized fuel to make sure it gets everywhere first.