Red Residue on Bottom of Bike

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
Crash,
Given the speed most of us ride at it's hard to imagine rust from the chain getting AHEAD of the bike and hitting it from the front. Look at the pics and focus on how it's built up from the front and tapers to the back and try again...

Hotei

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Crash,
Given the speed most of us ride at it's hard to imagine rust from the chain getting AHEAD of the bike and hitting it from the front. Look at the pics and focus on how it's built up from the front and tapers to the back and try again...

Hotei

Not sure of the cause but think it's worth checking the chain/front sprocket since all of the pictures posted show areas where stuff being flung from the chain/front sprocket can end up. I just cleaned built up chain wax/grease etc from my bike this weekend and it was is all over those same areas (oil filter and engine case, side stand switch, the sprocket shield, inside of belly pan, etc)

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure of the cause but think it's worth checking the chain/front sprocket since all of the pictures posted show areas where stuff being flung from the chain/front sprocket can end up. I just cleaned built up chain wax/grease etc from my bike this weekend and it was is all over those same areas (oil filter and engine case, side stand switch, the sprocket shield, inside of belly pan, etc)

bcity,
I think you've got something there, but maybe not what you think. I believe it's the "chain sling residue" which is acting as a glue, allowing SOMETHING in the air to be caught and stuck to the bike. Question is - WHAT? This is a good one... any chemists in the house? Quick and dirty analysis for rust would be what ...?

I've got an idea... get a magnet out and see if the particles are attracted to it. get some of the dry dust and put on a piece of paper then put magnet under paper. Should get the typical "magnetic lines of force" if it's iron based.

Hotei

Last edited:

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
bcity,
I think you've got something there, but maybe not what you think. I believe it's the "chain sling residue" which is acting as a glue, allowing SOMETHING in the air to be caught and stuck to the bike. Question is - WHAT? This is a good one... any chemists in the house? Quick and dirty analysis for rust would be what ...?

I've got an idea... get a magnet out and see if the particles are attracted to it. get some of the dry dust and put on a piece of paper then put magnet under paper. Should get the typical "magnetic lines of force" if it's iron based.

Hotei

Agree that whatever is there is a combo of the sling and what ever else gets stuck to it. Unfortunately it does allow for more theories about some intermittent dust/construction, etc that gets stuck in the residue and then is there. Curious if the OP uses a different chain lube that his riding crowd which would result in his bike being more sticky.

a_sick1

2004 FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
I would say it looks like rust, but i agree with the chain theory.
When i lube my chain and go for a ride, it throws all kinds of nasty stuff onto the chain guard...even the metal dust from sprocket and chain wear.
all that lube will pick up about everything in the air and road debris

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have never seen this, do you ride anywhere the other FZ's don't? have you been riding in the rain and they haven't? lots of ideas in here, I hope you get sorted out soon.

SanNYC

Reaction score
www.dozendames.org
I think it's residue from the Motul oil I used. I had the dealer check my brakes less than a month ago and they're fine. I lube my chain at least once a month after cleaning it with WD40 (actually used kerosone the month before). I also wash the bike often.

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's residue from the Motul oil I used. I had the dealer check my brakes less than a month ago and they're fine. I lube my chain at least once a month after cleaning it with WD40 (actually used kerosone the month before). I also wash the bike often.

How is the oil getting out? I think you better keep looking since powdery red is not the typical texture or color for used motor oil. And the fact that your brakes were fine a month ago is not relevant as that can change quickly. I'd say you still have a mystery on your hands.

Hotei

W

wrightme43

Hi man.
Its not from your oil. Its not from your chain. If its rust, something is loose. I have seen that sort of look before where loose bolts are allowing two pieces of metal to rub together. I cant tell in pictures. If it is rust and it sure looks like it or you drive over a spray can of primer every few weeks, something is wearing. Things wear like that when they are loose. When they are loose cyclic loads increase, making it worse. Over time it will break.

If you see a black powder like that you look for loose aluminum pieces. When you see a red like that you look for loose iron or steel pieces.

Again.
Have you checked the steering head bearings, the engine mount bolts, and rubs on the bottom of the tank?

SanNYC

Reaction score
www.dozendames.org
Updated Photos

I took these today.

IMG_0035-1.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

The other side.
IMG_0032.jpg

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Updated Photos

Hmmm...based on what I can see from your pictures...

...you'd better put the cover back on!

I've seen chocolate sprockets before, but cinnamon?? YAY!! Cinnamon sprockets!!

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

Re: Updated Photos

Has yours had the sprocket attachment recall done?

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
I have to give Wrightme43 lots of respect; he's the one that said that powder was rub-off from iron. He totally called this one.

I'm checking the Haynes guide right now...

Based on the pictures you've got there, I can tell your front sprocket has worn teeth. You definitely need to get new sprockets and a chain. After 10,000 KM, I shouldn't be surprised about this.

I can see a great deal of corrosion on the inner rim of that front sprocket. Is the lockwasher moving around in there? It should be firmly pressed against the sprocket nut.

Let us know what you decide to do.

PS- Nope. It's not a squirrel in there. That's a gremlin!!

Last edited:
B

bluenova

Strange, I have over 15,000 Km's on my chain and sprockets and they don't look like anything like that. How often you do lube? the chain looks far too shiny, it should look dull if it has the correct amount of lube on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bluenova

found the answer to my question...

SanNYC said:
I lube my chain at least once a month after cleaning it with WD40 (actually used kerosone the month before).

You should really only use something that strips off lube once every few months, I clean mine with WD40 about 3 times a year, because it cleans off all the crap, but cleans off your lube too, so if you use WD40 every time then lubing is pointless. You should really lube every week or when the chain starts to look shiny. You will increase the life of your chain 10 fold, as said I have 15,000 km on mine and and the teeth on the sprockets are still straight and pointy.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did we ever get to the bottom of this? I just noticed the exaxt same thing on my bike today. The residue is not as extreme, but essentlally looks the same. Only on one side of the bike as well. Pics are not the greatest but you get the idea.

I did rain on the way home this morning, so as someone mentioned, the rain may have something to do with the slinging of the chain.

For what it's worth, I use chain wax and do clean the chain every month or so.