Recomend Me A Gun

cbzdel

Reaction score
Visit site
The father in law blew the dust off his guns and took me and the woman to the shooting range. He had a 22 revolver and a (2) 38 revolvers... The woman really liked shooting the 22 due to the low recoil.. When we were leaving the range she asked the gun shop guy what kind of 22 semi-autos they had in stock. She showed her a Ruger 22, she said it looked like a Nazi gun, They showed her a Walther P22 and she said it looked to plastic. They then showed he the Sig Misquito, she lowed it. She asked if there was any other colors, they pulled out a black and pink on.. Oh boy SOLD!!! She whipped out the credit card without even looking at the price hahah!!

I used to own a Silver Sig Misquito, Glock 9mm, and a couple rifles. And I sold them all when I ran into money problems a few years ago..

Now since the woman has one I want one, since this is a hobby we can both enjoy haha!!

Here is what I want.. I want larger than a 22, oddly I handle guns better if there is more recoil.. But I still want it affordable to target shoot.. I want a full size hand gun, not this compact tuck it in your pocket kinda gun. I also want it to be semi-auto. And I dont want to spend more then $500... Is this possible?? What would suite me?? I wont be able to go back to the gun shop until this weekend but I would like to know what to look for in advance....

mercm3

newbie still dammit
Reaction score
Visit site
One of my fave semi-auto's that fit that description is springfield 1911's or if you want a 9 the Browning Hi-Power a great gun(find a belgium model). I think both the guns are a little above the 500 (especially higher end springfields) but you might be able to find them for that price used.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Whatever you get, I always recommend pricing a .22 conversion kit for it. For drilling and basic target practice, nothing's better than swapping your handgun to low cost, low recoil ammo.

cbzdel

Reaction score
Visit site
Whatever you get, I always recommend pricing a .22 conversion kit for it. For drilling and basic target practice, nothing's better than swapping your handgun to low cost, low recoil ammo.

Good idea!! Never thought of that.

I have always wanted a .45 so I guess I go to the store and ask for a 45 that I can turn into a 22 lol

Tremulant

It's not over...
Reaction score
Visit site
This one comes highly recommended and has been tested in countless hostile situations.

bfg9000.jpg

:D :D :D

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
For low cost range shooting the 9mm is the way to go at around half the cost per round of a .40 or .45. If you're like me you probably want a high capacity magazine, and there are lots of 9mm options for less than $500 that have 15+ rounds. I was looking at a Taurus knockoff of the Berretta 92 recently for the same purposes, I think it was around $400. Range guns don't need to be expensive, actually having one that will jam on you occasionally is a good thing when you think about it.

Also consider the fact that if you get a used S&W you have the comfort of knowing you have an iron clad lifetime warranty on anything ever going wrong and they'll pay for shipping both ways. I was totally blown away by that when I contacted them, they totally refreshed my 4506 for free, and on time.

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
Good idea!! Never thought of that.

I have always wanted a .45 so I guess I go to the store and ask for a 45 that I can turn into a 22 lol

Hey, if you are really interested in this, take the trip up to Federal Way. There is a store called Federal Way Discount Guns. I know the name doesnt make the place sound good, but it is. It is ran by former military personnel and they know their stuff. They also have VERY good deals on stuff.

If you are really interested looking into something that will have a conversion kit (i wouldnt recommend it due to it costing about 300 dollars more, and in the ammo you would save buy buying .22LR instead of 9mm, 10mm, .38, .40, or .45 you will have to shoot quite a bit to start saving money) look into CZ guns. Very make VERY VERY good handguns and rifles, and they also make a .22LR conversion kit for over half of their pistols.

I hope this helps, and PM me if you have any questions> I am an armorer in the military and have been dealing with weapons since i was 7. I will be coming home in about a month and i can help you with any ideas, purchasing, and practice (I personally love the range at Black Diamond)

Anyway, have a good day

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Personally I'm a fan of the Glocks. I've never had any problems with them and they can be had for real close to your $500 price range. If you just like to shoot occasionally and want to save some money look into a Hi-Point. You can pick up a .45 for $150 new at most places, their 9mm sells for $125

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Taurus judge. Maybe the nightcourt if you like it that way. 410 shotgun shell and 45. Best of both worlds. 410 shot is really cheap for the range.

/End thread. :D

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Taurus judge. Maybe the nightcourt if you like it that way. 410 shotgun shell and 45. Best of both worlds. 410 shot is really cheap for the range.

/End thread. :D

get the targets that turn bright green and shoot it with your girls gun (have her watch) then shoot it with the judge (shot shell) it will light up like stars at night!

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Springfield XD9... (also comes in .40 and .45) Costs $525 with two mags trigger lock, holster, ez loader, and mag holster all kept tidy in the free hardshell case. Best deal you can get! I have the 4" in OD green, but i have shot the 3", and ill tell you what, that thing (with the extended mag as shown in picture 2) shoots as well as the 4", i would never know the size difference if i was blindfolded. its great for a 3" barrel. no experience with the 5" barrel, but the 3 and 4 are amazing, im sure the 5 is also... And ill tell you, if someone were to break in, this would be teh first thing i woudl grab. I have a dozen other guns atleast, including AR15, 12g tactical shot gun.. etc... and this is my prized possession!

XDs.JPG

xd9sc2.jpg

All this for $525... AWESOME deal!!

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
the taurus 1911 and 24/7 seemed well made and fit my hand pretty well... I don't know if the 1911 would be able to use the universal conv or not... I'm kinda partial to the .45acp... As long as you know the guy who's doing it, reloads work well and they're pretty relatively cheap. springfield xd may be in your price range depending on how the market is in your area. It astonishes me how prices fluctuate just based on geography... I've got a xd45 tac and shoot well with it. Never any problems, and when I got it, it was near $500... I swear I don't work for SA... LoL

edit:
Dang... Somebody beat me to it. XD's 4EVER!!!
and technically, the xdM has a 4 AND A HALF in. barrel doesn't it?

Last edited:

cbzdel

Reaction score
Visit site
Personally I'm a fan of the Glocks. I've never had any problems with them and they can be had for real close to your $500 price range. If you just like to shoot occasionally and want to save some money look into a Hi-Point. You can pick up a .45 for $150 new at most places, their 9mm sells for $125

Wow cheap!! I will look into those, i could get a few hah!

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow cheap!! I will look into those, i could get a few hah!
Hi points are nice guns, very cheap, but not cheaply made. Hi point also comes with a lifetime guarantee. I had a screw get scratched on mine, i email the company and asked to buy a new screw, they sent an entire screw kit for free, no shipping, nothing, GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE! Alot of people will say to stay away from them, but in my book they are nice, People are just afraid of inexpensive items.

Now, would i grab my hi point if the house was being broken into? thats a different story, i have never had a problem with it jamming, but something tells me i would go with something more "reliable"
here is my hipoint 9mm carbine
DSCF2202-1.jpg

Fusion

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently purchased a Ruger SR9. It's Ruger's flagship auto pistol. 9mm Luger, 17 round mag capacity (comes w/ 2 mags), polymer frame, a thinner grip than glocks/XDs more like 1911, made in the USA, and best of all I got it new for $370! That leaves you with enough dough to buy a lot of practice ammo and range time. Because no matter how much you spend on a gun, it won't do you much good if you can't shoot it well. I highly recommend it!

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently purchased a Ruger SR9. It's Ruger's flagship auto pistol. 9mm Luger, 17 round mag capacity (comes w/ 2 mags), polymer frame, a thinner grip than glocks/XDs more like 1911, made in the USA, and best of all I got it new for $370! That leaves you with enough dough to buy a lot of practice ammo and range time. Because no matter how much you spend on a gun, it won't do you much good if you can't shoot it well. I highly recommend it!

rugers do make some nice guns... i have a ruger p90, great little 9mm! and great price too!
p90.jpg

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi points are nice guns, very cheap, but not cheaply made. Hi point also comes with a lifetime guarantee. I had a screw get scratched on mine, i email the company and asked to buy a new screw, they sent an entire screw kit for free, no shipping, nothing, GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE! Alot of people will say to stay away from them, but in my book they are nice, People are just afraid of inexpensive items.

Now, would i grab my hi point if the house was being broken into? thats a different story, i have never had a problem with it jamming, but something tells me i would go with something more "reliable"
here is my hipoint 9mm carbine

Nicely put by someone who actually has experience. A lot of the bashers of Hi-Point firearms have never owned one. They won't have the same "feel" as a more expensive gun, but for the OP's intended range fun gun it should suit just fine. The carbine in 9mm would also be a good choice, I've seen them at some gun shops for less than $300 with the scope and a couple other goodies. Here's mine:

hipoint9.jpg

Last edited: