Reckless Driving?

2-stroke

Reaction score
Visit site
We are starting to get a little break in winter up here in Michigan. We had a 45 degree day one of my friends took his bike out for a ride (I was out to but didn't see any cops). While in a parking lot a cop stopped by and told him it is reckless driving to be driving while there is snow on the ground and if a cop sees him driving home he will get a ticket. The roads where clear does anyone know when it is ok to ride you motorcycle? I was also told this is true but the ice has to cause an accident before you get a reckless driving ticket.

By the way this was my first time to ride my FZ6. What a great bike I can't wait for summer. I am amazed at how comfortable it is to ride.

H

HavBlue

Here ya go.... Let me know if you find something....

Michigan Legislature

Just a thought here. When I first moved to Kentucky I got mixed answers to the same questions going from one cop to another. I finally got two books with the help of a State Trooper I befriended. Those two books told me the opinion of some officers wasn't the way the law was written. One example was riding axle to axle. Many said it was illegal when in fact it is not. I find it equally hard to believe it would be reckless for bikes and not reckless for cages too. That's why we also have dual sports isn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
that sounds like complete BS, i think you actually have to be doing something reckless, regardless of the road condition. It may have been reckless in that officers opinion, but that means nothing in court.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
that sounds like complete BS, i think you actually have to be doing something reckless, regardless of the road condition. It may have been reckless in that officers opinion, but that means nothing in court.

it should mean nothing but I would have to say that an officers opinion weighs heavily in court. That is why they send them to court.

H

HavBlue

it should mean nothing but I would have to say that an officers opinion weighs heavily in court. That is why they send them to court.

In the opinion of the court, the officer's opinion is that of a "trained observer." If in the officer's opinion a rider/driver was operating a vehicle with reckless disregard for his/her own safety as well as the safety of the public then the court would side with the officer.

An example of this would be a roadway that has a posted speed limit of say 40mph. The conditions on that roadway at the time you are observed driving/riding along are extremely poor if not dangerous and yet you are at that limit. The posted limit is for the purposes of "ideal conditions." In this case driving anywhere near that limit would be considered extremely hazardous to yourself, the occupants of your vehicle and the public in general. The officer can stop you and while a warning is generally given, the officer could write a citation for reckless driving. This would no doubt be rare but it is possible nonetheless.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
very true, but the officer would have to paint the picture of what you were doing to endanger the public in the situation. a 40MPH ice covered road during a blizzard is an easy picture to paint, in his situation the officer would have to convince the court that since there was snow in peoples yards then the roads are unsafe, which would be a hard sell since the rider is not riding where the snow is.

H

HavBlue

very true, but the officer would have to paint the picture of what you were doing to endanger the public in the situation. a 40MPH ice covered road during a blizzard is an easy picture to paint, in his situation the officer would have to convince the court that since there was snow in peoples yards then the roads are unsafe, which would be a hard sell since the rider is not riding where the snow is.

Absolutely, the officer in this case would have to establish hazardous conditions on the roadway existed at the time the driver/rider came through. This is why I found this part "While in a parking lot a cop stopped by and told him it is reckless driving to be driving while there is snow on the ground and if a cop sees him driving home he will get a ticket" of the original post very interesting as it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The simple question that comes to mind is why isn't that road closed if conditions are so bad you can't drive/ride on it. So, to me it all becomes pointless until we can establish what the actual circumstances are in the vehicle code.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
If a police officer approached me that that BS, I'd ask to see his badge and report him. I would then ask them to point out the specific portion of the Road Traffic Act that forbids the riding of motorcycles in the "winter". He/she is confusing PD department policy with the law. Just because his department's bikes are parked for the winter does not make it illegal for anyone else to ride a bike during the winter, regardless of the conditions. If the road's open, you can use it legally unless it is posted otherwise.

H

HavBlue

If a police officer approached me that that BS, I'd ask to see his badge and report him. I would then ask them to point out the specific portion of the Road Traffic Act that forbids the riding of motorcycles in the "winter". He/she is confusing PD department policy with the law. Just because his department's bikes are parked for the winter does not make it illegal for anyone else to ride a bike during the winter, regardless of the conditions. If the road's open, you can use it legally unless it is posted otherwise.

Things aren't always posted nor do they have to be down here. Here, it is your responsibility to know the laws. This is why the judge will often use the phrase "Mr. XXXX, ignorance of the law is not an excuse." I would however ask that officer what the code number is that he feels he can write a citation under.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
All i can say is i love southern texas....its always 60 in the winter and 100 in the summer...no snow, just real hot at times.

2-stroke

Reaction score
Visit site
I have never been to Texas it sounds nice. I get to go next week for a four day tour with a band. Wish I could bring the bike but ridding during the night when I should be sleeping doesn't sound like fun. The whole problem with the snow doesn't matter to much any more it is below 40 for the next week with more snow on the way.

H

HavBlue

I have never been to Texas it sounds nice. I get to go next week for a four day tour with a band. Wish I could bring the bike but ridding during the night when I should be sleeping doesn't sound like fun. The whole problem with the snow doesn't matter to much any more it is below 40 for the next week with more snow on the way.

Boy do I know this one. We were supposed to have one day this weekend worth riding and now there is 4 inches of snow outside with more coming in over night. Maybe next week....

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Gee, I don't have this problem (cops threatening to ticket because of snow) around here (highs in 60's this week) but I am just waiting for the right time to ride I-80 or US 50 to Reno/Lake Tahoe. Of course, there's plenty of snow at the higher elevations and I wouldn't expect to run afoul of CHP just because there was snow (but not on the highway). At any rate, it shouldn't be too much longer (month or so?) when I hope to ride over Donner Summit/Echo Summit on my '07 FZ6 for the first time.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
sucks to have a law system like that!!!

Here in ireland we are free to ride when we like regardless of the weather. If we fall off its our problem. If we crash into someone and hurt them its regarded as reckless driving...but if ice was the contributing factor then you dont get a heavy sentence...maybe a fine but that would be it (of course you have to be driving properly and not breaking the law before the crash!)

H

HavBlue

Gee, I don't have this problem (cops threatening to ticket because of snow) around here (highs in 60's this week) but I am just waiting for the right time to ride I-80 or US 50 to Reno/Lake Tahoe. Of course, there's plenty of snow at the higher elevations and I wouldn't expect to run afoul of CHP just because there was snow (but not on the highway). At any rate, it shouldn't be too much longer (month or so?) when I hope to ride over Donner Summit/Echo Summit on my '07 FZ6 for the first time.

Is that road over the top near Truckee still as choppy as it used to be? That thing needed to be repaved 15 years ago. I will admit CalTrans does a bang up job keeping that pass open in snow storms.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Is that road over the top near Truckee still as choppy as it used to be? That thing needed to be repaved 15 years ago. I will admit CalTrans does a bang up job keeping that pass open in snow storms.
It's still a rough ride over the pass. You remember well.
Much of I-80 pavement after the pass, however, has been beautifully relaid and is real smooth. And of course, I-80 between Sacramento & Reno contiunues to be clogged with 1000's of mostly Harley Davidson motorcylists riding up to/returning from Reno's weeklong "Street Vibrations" celebration that takes place in September. Some of the packs must exceed 100. Reno's "Hot August Nights" attracts thousands of both sport & HD riders also.