Reasons why engineers get nothing from Santa

W

wrightme43

Is there a Santa?

(from an engineering standpoint)
As a result of an overwhelming lack of requests, and with research help from that renown scientific journal SPY magazine (January, 1990) - I am pleased to present the annual scientific inquiry into Santa Claus.
1) No known species of reindeer can fly. BUT there are 300,000 species of living organisms yet to be classified, and while most of these are insects and germs, this does not COMPLETELY rule out flying reindeer which only Santa has ever seen.

2) There are 2 billion children (persons under 18) in the world. BUT since Santa doesn't (appear) to handle the Muslim, Hindu, Jewish and Buddhist children, that reduces the workload to to 15% of the total - 378 million according to Population Reference Bureau. At an average (census) rate of 3.5 children per household, that's 91.8 million homes. One presumes there's at least one good child in each.

3) Santa has 31 hours of Christmas to work with, thanks to the different time zones and the rotation of the earth, assuming he travels east to west (which seems logical). This works out to 822.6 visits per second. This is to say that for each Christian household with good children, Santa has 1/1000th of a second to park, hop out of the sleigh, jump down the chimney, fill the stockings, distribute the remaining presents under the tree, eat whatever snacks have been left, get back up the chimney, get back into the sleigh and move on to the next house. Assuming that each of these 91.8 million stops are evenly distributed around the earth (which, of course, we know to be false but for the purposes of our calculations we will accept), we are now talking about. .78 miles per household, a total trip of 75-1/2 million miles, not counting stops to do what most of us must do at least once every 31 hours, plus feeding and etc.

This means that Santa's sleigh is moving at 650 miles per second, 3,000 times the speed of sound. For purposes of comparison, the fastest man- made vehicle on earth, the Ulysses space probe, moves at a poky 27.4 miles per second - a conventional reindeer can run, tops, 15 miles per hour.

4) The payload on the sleigh adds another interesting element. Assuming that each child gets nothing more than a medium-sized Lego set (2 pounds), the sleigh is carrying 321,300 tons, not counting Santa, who is invariably described as overweight. On land, conventional reindeer can pull no more than 300 pounds. Even granting that "flying reindeer" (see point #1) could pull TEN TIMES the normal amount, we cannot do the job with eight, or even nine. We need 214,200 reindeer. This increases the payload - not even counting the weight of the sleigh - to 353,430 tons. Again, for comparison - this is four times the weight of the Queen Elizabeth.

5) 353,000 tons traveling at 650 miles per second creates enormous air resistance - this will heat the reindeer up in the same fashion as spacecrafts re-entering the earth's atmosphere. The lead pair of reindeer will absorb 14.3 QUINTILLION joules of energy. Per second. Each. In short, they will burst into flame almost instantaneously, exposing the reindeer behind them, and create deafening sonic booms in their wake. The entire reindeer team will be vaporized within 4.26 thousandths of a second. Santa, meanwhile, will be subjected to centrifugal forces 17,500.06 times greater than gravity. A 250-pound Santa (which seems ludicrously slim) would be pinned to the back of his sleigh by 4,315,015 pounds of force.​
In conclusion -
If Santa ever DID deliver presents on Christmas Eve, he's dead now.

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I read your post to my scientifically minded children (2 and 6 years of age).

All they had to say was "Really Daddy? Santa is dead?"

Thanks a lot Steve, I need to go console them now :Flip:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is there a Santa?

(from an engineering standpoint)
As a result of an overwhelming lack of requests, and with research help from that renown scientific journal SPY magazine (January, 1990) - I am pleased to present the annual scientific inquiry into Santa Claus.
1) No known species of reindeer can fly. BUT there are 300,000 species of living organisms yet to be classified, and while most of these are insects and germs, this does not COMPLETELY rule out flying reindeer which only Santa has ever seen.

2) There are 2 billion children (persons under 18) in the world. BUT since Santa doesn't (appear) to handle the Muslim, Hindu, Jewish and Buddhist children, that reduces the workload to to 15% of the total - 378 million according to Population Reference Bureau. At an average (census) rate of 3.5 children per household, that's 91.8 million homes. One presumes there's at least one good child in each.

3) Santa has 31 hours of Christmas to work with, thanks to the different time zones and the rotation of the earth, assuming he travels east to west (which seems logical). This works out to 822.6 visits per second. This is to say that for each Christian household with good children, Santa has 1/1000th of a second to park, hop out of the sleigh, jump down the chimney, fill the stockings, distribute the remaining presents under the tree, eat whatever snacks have been left, get back up the chimney, get back into the sleigh and move on to the next house. Assuming that each of these 91.8 million stops are evenly distributed around the earth (which, of course, we know to be false but for the purposes of our calculations we will accept), we are now talking about. .78 miles per household, a total trip of 75-1/2 million miles, not counting stops to do what most of us must do at least once every 31 hours, plus feeding and etc.

This means that Santa's sleigh is moving at 650 miles per second, 3,000 times the speed of sound. For purposes of comparison, the fastest man- made vehicle on earth, the Ulysses space probe, moves at a poky 27.4 miles per second - a conventional reindeer can run, tops, 15 miles per hour.

4) The payload on the sleigh adds another interesting element. Assuming that each child gets nothing more than a medium-sized Lego set (2 pounds), the sleigh is carrying 321,300 tons, not counting Santa, who is invariably described as overweight. On land, conventional reindeer can pull no more than 300 pounds. Even granting that "flying reindeer" (see point #1) could pull TEN TIMES the normal amount, we cannot do the job with eight, or even nine. We need 214,200 reindeer. This increases the payload - not even counting the weight of the sleigh - to 353,430 tons. Again, for comparison - this is four times the weight of the Queen Elizabeth.

5) 353,000 tons traveling at 650 miles per second creates enormous air resistance - this will heat the reindeer up in the same fashion as spacecrafts re-entering the earth's atmosphere. The lead pair of reindeer will absorb 14.3 QUINTILLION joules of energy. Per second. Each. In short, they will burst into flame almost instantaneously, exposing the reindeer behind them, and create deafening sonic booms in their wake. The entire reindeer team will be vaporized within 4.26 thousandths of a second. Santa, meanwhile, will be subjected to centrifugal forces 17,500.06 times greater than gravity. A 250-pound Santa (which seems ludicrously slim) would be pinned to the back of his sleigh by 4,315,015 pounds of force.​
In conclusion -
If Santa ever DID deliver presents on Christmas Eve, he's dead now.
Well steve thats all good and well, as far as im concerned, it would appear that you will be having coal in your stocking this year.

Firstly santa is not daft, and probably operates in conjunction with all the major toy / lesuire companys at a top secret global basis.
I believe that there is a form of multi drop storage system that starts way before X-mas eve. My kids genrally know what they would like for X-mas the following year at around St Stephens day lol.
Most importantley, and neglected to mention in you exstensive research is. The protective powers of fairy and pixie dust. Everyone knows that this substance does:
a) create things to fly (I mean com on man LSD can do that in people)
b) Said dust creates a magical kind of force fileld that is friction and heat resistant.
c) Every reindeer herdsman knows that Fly Agric (mushroom) produces amazing effects on reindeer. This alone will alow them to acheive suppereindeer feats.
D) even more importantly the sleigh is I beleive now powered by some form of fusion reactor proto type FZ6 power plant (yep even santa is trying to resolve the slight top end rattle) but boy does it go.
So you see every thing is possible.

So dont worry kids Santa will be there and Rudolf will enjoy his carrots.

Neil

Last edited:

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh come on everyone. Grow up and see some sense. This is just stupid. How can one man do all that in one night. It's just make-believe.

Outsourcing. That's how he does it. Just like everything now. He outsources. Santa is now just a manager in charge of 10,000 consultants delivering presents around the world.:Flip:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh come on everyone. Grow up and see some sense. This is just stupid. How can one man do all that in one night. It's just make-believe.

Outsourcing. That's how he does it. Just like everything now. He outsources. Santa is now just a manager in charge of 10,000 consultants delivering presents around the world.:Flip:
My point exactly, he's the Bill Gates of X-mas.

W

wrightme43

Oh dont blame me. I didnt write that crap. I say its why engineers are spit at, and pushed down stairs. I just thought it was funny. LOL

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh dont blame me. I didnt write that crap. I say its why engineers are spit at, and pushed down stairs. I just thought it was funny. LOL

Great, I have something to look forward too. (Mechanical Engineering Major at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte)

-bryan

W

wrightme43

Oh no Bryan, say it aint so. You might engineer some sort of bubble to protect you. LOL

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry mate,
It was not aimed at you personally, and I did mean it as abit of a laugh. I have e-mailed Santa and asked him to withdraw the coal from your stocking.

Neil

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
I love it when someone pretends to get offended then the person who thought they'd offended that person apologises. Lol! Or maybe I'm being insensitive and Neil really did cause massive offence. :p Hey, do engineers really get pushed down the stairs and spat at in the states? Hahahaha

W

wrightme43

I love it when someone pretends to get offended then the person who thought they'd offended that person apologises. Lol! Or maybe I'm being insensitive and Neil really did cause massive offence. :p Hey, do engineers really get pushed down the stairs and spat at in the states? Hahahaha

You are freaking hilarous man. You make me laugh everyday, that is great.

Hey Bryan, I need to start a thread with my idea using hamster balls, tungsten wieght, a filtered air pump, sealer, and hamsters.

Basicly its Steves underwater adventure playset.
You can put your hamster in a positively pressured wieghted hamster ball, and let him explore your aquarium.

Its wrong but I know it would sell, if I could get it past PETA and the Humane society.

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Bryan, I need to start a thread with my idea using hamster balls, tungsten wieght, a filtered air pump, sealer, and hamsters.

Basicly its Steves underwater adventure playset.
You can put your hamster in a positively pressured wieghted hamster ball, and let him explore your aquarium.

It's not that easy. How do we get the ball to rotate in the water without the hamster getting caught up in all that stuff inside (filter etc). Engineering solution required. We shouldn't have offended all of the worlds engineers earlier. And I've offended Boneman by asking a dumbass question which really riled him so he won't help either.:confused:

W

wrightme43

I have done most of the work already.

It cant be patented though since it is public domain being on the internet.

Tungsten shot in a glass ball, it will always be down. The airpump is only attached to the ball by a silicone line. The air pressure has a gauge that is set to different aquarium depths with a click setting regulator. The The hamster is "trained" (not really just a marketing ploy) Its the must have toy for Christmas. Kids will go crazy for it. Its going to really suck for the hamster.

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
That's good, I like it and won't comment any further because it's been done now. But! It's given me an idea. We could do the exact opposite.

A watertight 'goldfishhamsterballball'. Simply place the fish in the ball with a bit of food for sustenance and fill it up with water. The ball must be really watertight so the fish doesn't 'drown' with too much air. Then you have a goldfish hamsterball for your kids to play with on the living room floor. They'll love it. It could be another must have toy for Christmas. Its also going to really suck for the goldfish as well though:rockon:

W

wrightme43

That's good, I like it and won't comment any further because it's been done now. But! It's given me an idea. We could do the exact opposite.

A watertight 'goldfishhamsterballball'. Simply place the fish in the ball with a bit of food for sustenance and fill it up with water. The ball must be really watertight so the fish doesn't 'drown' with too much air. Then you have a goldfish hamsterball for your kids to play with on the living room floor. They'll love it. It could be another must have toy for Christmas. Its also going to really suck for the goldfish as well though:rockon:

Rock!!!! that will work great.