rear tire slipping while overshooting corner

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
scenario:

you are making a sweeping, fairly sharp (nothing extreme but definitely noteworthy) corner. the road is in decent condition but has some patches of tar strips used to fix patches. they create small bumps.

coming around the corner at a fairly quick speed (again nothing extreme, just a touch quick) and your rear tire catches one of those slippery tar bumps and starts to slide out. the problem is you are already so close to the edge that you need to bring your bike on line as quickly as possible.

what do you do? remember you dont have much real easte to work with to straighten the bike out and your rear tire is slipping out.

do you gently decrease off the throttle and straighten up as much as possible to use what little real estate you have before you throw yourself back into a lean? or is there another option available here im not aware of?

W

wrightme43

stay on the throttle, keep arms loose, let the bike do what it does.

Off throttle makes it worse as far as I understand it.

The bike will stay up all by itself if it can and you let it.

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Had my first "gentle introduction" to tar snakes on a long trip last Friday. Wasn't being real aggressive in the turns, 10 mph or so over the cautionary signs so didn't concern me too much. Roads were dry and tar was fairly thin, but at first noticed a slight "bump" when going over the tar. A few turns later I realized it was the tires slipping or squrming a bit under the tar. Since the tar stripes were fairly infrequent, just drove right through them, no correction needed. I did make a mental note to size up quantity of tar on road and reduce entry and cornering speed as tar patches increased.

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
They (the people who drive bikes for a living) say that you should maintain throttle and as you come out of the turn and straighten the bike it will stop spinning on it's own. If you chop the throttle you're going to high side, and if you try to straighten the bike too fast by turning away from the slide you'll also high side. Just fight all your reflexes and keep on going right through the turn.

That being said, I've never been able to make my body do all that when the moment comes.

S

sportrider

They (the people who drive bikes for a living) say that you should maintain throttle and as you come out of the turn and straighten the bike it will stop spinning on it's own. If you chop the throttle you're going to high side, and if you try to straighten the bike too fast by turning away from the slide you'll also high side. Just fight all your reflexes and keep on going right through the turn.
+1 thats what I was going to say

RickFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
yep just had the same experience on a long agresssive ride. Let the bike work, keep on tht throttle moderately and it will correct. I also watched the bike in front of me and while it felt like my tire was sliding a heck of a lot more, I noticed just a slight slide the width of the tar repair in front of me. I also crossed several with the front tire which sent a note of concern, but same deal, the bike rode through it fine. Keep an eye out and don't confuse the narrow repair patchs with a freshly oiled road which is an entirely different pair of shorts!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just as damnpoor stated, just drive through them. They are a bit of a scare at first but manageable. Once you're used to that feeling, you'll be more confident when it happens and less apt to reflex into a bad situation. Almost all cornering incidents are a result of our natural reflexes which are completely opposite of what we should be doing to avoid disaster.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
scenario:

you are making a sweeping, fairly sharp (nothing extreme but definitely noteworthy) corner. the road is in decent condition but has some patches of tar strips used to fix patches. they create small bumps.

coming around the corner at a fairly quick speed (again nothing extreme, just a touch quick) and your rear tire catches one of those slippery tar bumps and starts to slide out. the problem is you are already so close to the edge that you need to bring your bike on line as quickly as possible.

what do you do? remember you dont have much real easte to work with to straighten the bike out and your rear tire is slipping out.

do you gently decrease off the throttle and straighten up as much as possible to use what little real estate you have before you throw yourself back into a lean? or is there another option available here im not aware of?

Great question, thanks for asking it! And thanks to everyone who responded.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
A very important lesson I have learned is that any change in throttle/braking upsets the suspension and you will lose traction. Suspension likes to be constant.
Remember, you always have a certain amount of tration. You can decide how to use it, you can accelerate, brake, or turn. Any combination of those will decrese from the other. For example: you are using 70% traction for accelaration, 30% for turning. The more you use of one, the less you have for the other. So, if you decide to brake in the middle of your turn, you will have that much less traction for turning. Hope that makes sense.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was not turning but simply applying my rear and front brakes when I sensed that weird feeling of the rear tire slipping down behind me. Slowing down from about 35 MPH at an intersection I was caught off guard. I instinctively let go of the throttle and let the tire catch it's grip. I am second guessing myself now whether my rear tire was accidently sprayed with WD-40 and Chain Lube when I cleaned my chain last night.

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
I was not turning but simply applying my rear and front brakes when I sensed that weird feeling of the rear tire slipping down behind me. Slowing down from about 35 MPH at an intersection I was caught off guard. I instinctively let go of the throttle and let the tire catch it's grip. I am second guessing myself now whether my rear tire was accidently sprayed with WD-40 and Chain Lube when I cleaned my chain last night.

I drove over a mountain road today and I was being quite liberal with the throttle, and never had to question whether I would spin the rear wheel while leaned over. I did, however, get nervous and pay close attention to all the little rocks and oil spots.

So from this I wonder how much sand/gravel/oil it takes to break loose the rear (or front) tire. It seems like on a smooth road you have to really try to get the rear sliding, but it feels like just the smallest amount of debris can really f*ck up your day.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn WD-40 and the DuPont Teflon Multi Use Lubricant must of gotten on some of my rear tire. Today as I was exiting the freeway turing right on to the street at about 25 MPH I felt the rear tire slide underneath me. Pretty freaky sensation, I'm glad I was not on the twisties. While lubing the chain, I got to be more careful to cover the rear tire completely.