Rear Brake Technique

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Carlos, if you need a spring just go to your local hardware store. Pretty much any one will work.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like a washer and a compression spring are all it would take to replicate the Graves piece. Place the washer below the bottom-most nut, I think there's a fat part above the threaded rod (brake adjuster) that you could seat the other end of the spring in, then it's just a matter of getting the spring strength right. If I spend more than 5 bucks replicating this I'll be upset with myself. (I do see this as being very important, especially because I'll wear many different shoes when riding, the touch/feel of the rear brake is never the same, smoothing it out/making it more progressive would be nice)

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
It takes great time&skill to master using rear brake.

I'm now very cautious about using rear brake. Lack of proper technique and experience cost me high side on a street (thankfully only colar bone broken) . Now I'm doing 80% of braking with front only.

When I'm using rear brake (i think) I don't use it as braking device but to stabilize chassis on turn entry. I barely put pressure on lever.

+1
Well put. Street riding is not track riding and the two should not be confused.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Stabalising the bike for turn in using the rear is a great technique that I would class as an advanced technique, I can honestly say that it's something that I rarely use on the road when day to day riding.
I would argue that the basic fundamentals of rear brake operation are well worth developing and should not be ignored. Especially on the street when you need to be able to be on top off your game.
You need to use the rear brake and become familiar with it's operation to develop muscle memory and further reduce panic braking lock ups.
Nelly:thumbup:

Last edited: