Rear brake not as responsive after chain change

kylinder

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone.

I spent today changing my chain and sprockets for the first time, everything seemed to go ok until I drove it up and down the drive after.

The rear brake doesn't seem to be anywhere near as responsive, although it still works.

Is there anything I should look for to see where I have made a mistake?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone.

I spent today changing my chain and sprockets for the first time, everything seemed to go ok until I drove it up and down the drive after.

The rear brake doesn't seem to be anywhere near as responsive, although it still works.

Is there anything I should look for to see where I have made a mistake?

When you disturb the position of the mating surfaces of the pads to the rotor they will need to re-seat. As long as you didn't contaminate the pads and rotor it will take just a little bit for them the mate again. Also there is a microscopic dust that collects on the face of the pads that actually enhances the grip. as the pads wear into the rotor face these particle are created and enhance the mating. As long as your pads are in good shape you should be fine in a just a mile or so of use. If the pads got reversed it will take longer to re-mate.

Last edited:

rypsis

Reaction score
Visit site
Also, if you had your rear brake caliper off, check if the inner brake pad (the one close to the wheel) is installed correctly. It's possible that the front end of the pad has slipped from the "ledge" it's supposed to be seated in.

Since it's hidden from view from the caliper side, it's an easy mistake to miss. You can check by looking at the caliper from the opposite side through the wheel.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Something easy to do, as noted partially above, is check the pads themselves for contamination.

IMHO, I'd pull the pads, spray them down with brake cleaner as well as the rotors. Its easy to get a greasy fingers on the rotor.

I'd also get rid of any glaze on the pads by rubbing the pads gently on a flat piece of side walk in a circular motion. If there's any glaze, it'll get rid of it. It shouldn't take much at all to clean them up. It will add slightly some time to break in a "new" set of pads.

You'd be surprised how much brake dust/ gunk builds up on your rotors.