Rattles and screws....

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So... when I normally ride with my X-Lite, ear plugs et al I am deaf to the world.

Yesterday I went to the car wash wearing my open face and WTF is this rattling coming from the front?

This afternoon I took the fairing off in one piece and shook it, cable-tied all the loose harnesses down, tightened everything I could get to at the front just to be sure.

Now I suspect it is that stupid plastic grille on the front of the radiator, as it is pretty loose at the top and only held on with one bolt at the bottom.

Any ideas on a cure apart from binning it?

While I am looking for cures, does anyone have a suitable replacement for the most stupid part Yamaha ever developed, that goes in the hole in the pic below? 2004 model.

Attachments

• IMG_6031.JPG
    IMG_6031.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 77

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I used some one sided sticky (very thin) weather striping to attach to the plastic. Only where the grill touches the radiator.

You can also remove that grill, take note where its rubbing, then place a lil dab of silicone (and let dry over night) on the grill, that'll stop that vib...

As for your pic, I have no idea where that's at... If its just the hole your looking to plug/clean up, you should be able to get a rubber plug at the hardware store that'll fit in there..

Last edited:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's on the fairing just behind where the mirror mounts, normally it is covered by a rubber boot. This hole has an expanding plug with a screw through it that is completely useless.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If your handy with aluminum, trim a thin piece, (approx 1/16" thick) to fit the area. You can use cardboard as a template.

Once its trimmed down nice and neatly, edges cleaned up, paint it satin black.

Then attach with MARINE GRADE silicone adhesive and allow to dry overnight.

It'll look nice and neat and hide that big hole. The silicone will also get in that hole and make it VERY difficult to remove...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps there is a need to go after the cause of buzzing rattle versus symptom (the rattle itself).
Have you ever checked the fit of the spark plug caps to the high tension lead from the coils?

They have been known to get loose and induce vibrations into the engine & chassis. If you can change spark plugs, you can likely fix this.

Tech section sticky... A cure for vibrations, spark plug caps....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps there is a need to go after the cause of buzzing rattle versus symptom (the rattle itself).
Have you ever checked the fit of the spark plug caps to the high tension lead from the coils?

They have been known to get loose and induce vibrations into the engine & chassis. If you can change spark plugs, you can likely fix this.

Tech section sticky... A cure for vibrations, spark plug caps....

The plastic radiator cover doesn't fit tight as noted above and mine did the same thing.

You can tap it(engine off) and it'll still make that noise, Its just not designed well..

And Andz, if you find some "aluminium", I'm not sure it'll hold up as well, that or get it a bit thicker...

You generally need an air powered cut off tool to cut that stuff!!!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
People report on levers, plastics, ans other components vibrating at "buzzing" levels.

I'm just talking out loud and saying, there can be other items in play. Mine is stock and seems OK when the wires are properly secured in the caps. Otherwise who knows what may rattle. lol

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Today after I put everything back together I rode it up and down my street and it seems to be resonating at around 3k rpm. Back in the garage at a steady rpm I can hear the buzzing from the fairing but I guess I will have to live with it.

Re the hole in the fairing I think a simple nut and bolt will do the job, the rubber boot will cover it so how it looks is not important.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm trying to remember but I had a rattle/vib at the very inside of the nose of mine. It was one of those black, phillips headed screws, WAY UP FRONT, DEAD CENTER..

Short of pulling the entire nose off, I drilled a small hole in the fairing stay. This was to allow a phillips head screw driver to reach straight in and snug it back down. Vib all gone.

I think I found it bumping the fairing with a closed fist till I heard it...