Ranting about sprockets

Woodstream

Pier Fisherman
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey,

Just wanted to rant about the current lack of FZ6 rear sprockets with the stock teeth (46) in the 530 size. I think Sunstar is the only manufacturer that does the rear sprocket (steel) in 530 w/ 46 teeth and they're backordered all over the place...blah! I'm not looking for a different chain/sprocket setup, where else can I order steel sprockets with stock teeth in 530? Thanks!

Dazzer

Reaction score
Visit site
"Supersproks "is the way to go! I wanted some aftermarket sprockets and chain (gold 'rk' racing) and was very satisfied. I went with factory spec. sizes. Shipped from Ca to Fl, took x2 wks. Im sure ill get round to posting pics.
Know anything about gear boxes? Mine just went out after only 30,000 miles. Yesterday on way home from work dang it! Hoping it'll be something simple....gears just won't engage?

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Hey,

Just wanted to rant about the current lack of FZ6 rear sprockets with the stock teeth (46) in the 530 size. I think Sunstar is the only manufacturer that does the rear sprocket (steel) in 530 w/ 46 teeth and they're backordered all over the place...blah! I'm not looking for a different chain/sprocket setup, where else can I order steel sprockets with stock teeth in 530? Thanks!

At the risk of sounding like a smartarse..... have you checked out what Yamaha would charge?

Woodstream

Pier Fisherman
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, I'll look them up. I see they have a steel version available in their catalog/website.

Not too knowledgeable about trannies, hopefully someone will come along and chime in.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I remember the OEM sprockets on my FZ6 being steel. The front one also has a rubber insert to reduce chain noise and buffer the driveline a bit. They are a good part.

Woodstream

Pier Fisherman
Reaction score
Visit site
I remember the OEM sprockets on my FZ6 being steel. The front one also has a rubber insert to reduce chain noise and buffer the driveline a bit. They are a good part.
Ended up being patient and waiting to see if they arrive at the store on Friday. If not, I'll go ahead and order the stock ones.

FZ6_Dude

FZ6 Corner Carver
Reaction score
Visit site
im going the supersprox route as well here in the next 5k miles mine arent too bad but im doing a full service on the bike all the way around just so i know its ready for another 20k miles with no hiccups...

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
"Supersproks "is the way to go! I wanted some aftermarket sprockets and chain (gold 'rk' racing) and was very satisfied. I went with factory spec. sizes. Shipped from Ca to Fl, took x2 wks. Im sure ill get round to posting pics.
Know anything about gear boxes? Mine just went out after only 30,000 miles. Yesterday on way home from work dang it! Hoping it'll be something simple....gears just won't engage?

Check your oil levels and the little bit of linkage you have... if the FZ is anything like my bike... if the linkage got adjusted slightly by accident it would cause shifting issues.... the oil also can affect shifting in bikes.. also you have plenty of clutch left yes?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just curious; why do you want a steel rear sprocket?

FYI: My 08 is original and aluminum.

Dazzer: > start a new thread for you g-box and lets see where it takes us. . . Hopefully something simple. :thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a very good excuse to convert to a 520. :thumbup: Supersprox are nice. And you get two cool stickers in the package with sprocket.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Just curious; why do you want a steel rear sprocket?

FYI: My 08 is original and aluminum.

You might want to check that. If, in fact, your rear sprocket is stock, then it's steel. AFAIK, the FZ6 NEVER came with aluminum sprockets.

As far as why you would want steel sprockets, it's because they wear out much slower than aluminum sprockets.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll be honest I've never looked that close, but its appearance, color, and the fact that oxidation took over a chunk of it (previous owner) says its aluminum.

Let me look closer....

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You might want to check that. If, in fact, your rear sprocket is stock, then it's steel. AFAIK, the FZ6 NEVER came with aluminum sprockets.

As far as why you would want steel sprockets, it's because they wear out much slower than aluminum sprockets.

I stand corrected - its steel. My bad. It was the deep oxidation that lead me astray. I'm not sure what the plating is but i suspect the previous owner had cat or dog pee it on and it made it look like oxidation found on aluminum.

Sorry for leading the thread off track. :spank:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone here could help me. Driven has a 44T steel rear sprocket in FZ6 520 conversion. Not listed for the FZ6R. I was wondering if someone could give me the bolt pattern dimension of the FZ6 and inside diameter of the rear sprocket?

FZ6R 520 (Stock)
150mm B.C. x 6 @ 10.5mm
130mm I.D.

Thanks!

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in the process of gathering parts to replace my chain and sprockets on my 2004 with 25,000 miles on it. Currently has stock chain and sprockets which are worn but not too bad.
Front Sprocket - stock, bought it from the good guys at the local dealership along with a new lock washer - going to reuse the nut.

Chain - very close to getting the RK XSO Z1 in gold which is about $35 more than a stockchain.

Rear sprocket - torn between SuperSprox or stock which is about $40 less. Stock is not as nice on the appearance and is heavier but less $$.

What do ya'll think about the RK chain and SuperSprox and any impact on performance & looks.

twfbr

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I went with supersprox because of their lifetime warranty but the warranty is only good with the full kit. Supersprox now has a custom sprockets that u can make it in black blue red and their regular gold colors.