Randy in impromptu Suzuki test

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This looks promising, I have always rated RdP and to be honest I would like to see Suzuki do well.

Rizla Suzuki gave an impromptu test to French MotoGP racer Randy de Puniet and he wasted no time impressing the team onboard the GSV-R.

Suzuki gave de Puniet the opportunity to test the 800cc prototype bike at Valencia today to get another rider’s feedback on the machine and the Frenchman responded by recording the fourth quickest time of the day. De Puniet only took a few laps to make himself comfortable aboard the Suzuki GSV-R and continued to improve on his lap-times as the day progressed. His best time of 1'33.544 was recorded on his 35th lap as he ended the day completing 55 circulations of the 4,005m Valencia circuit.

Randy de Puniet:
“I am very happy with the job I have done today and would like to thank Rizla Suzuki for giving me this opportunity. One hour before I rode the bike I didn’t know I was going to be on it, so I had to modify old leathers to remove the wrong brands! I had a good day and am very happy with the lap-time and position. The staff are very professional and it has been nice to have this day and to work with them. I was very impressed with the bike and I felt comfortable immediately and enjoyed it a lot. I would like to ride it next year, I’m not the boss, but I hope I did a good job for everybody! I think the bike has good potential and also the feeling with everybody in the team was good and this is the most important thing for me – to feel at home. I would like to say thank-you to my manager for pushing so hard to get me this opportunity, to Pramac for allowing me to take it and to Sahara san, Paul, Tom and the GSV-R for such a good day!”

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was about to post some of the bizarre goings on in the test. Been on MotoGp just now.

RdP on the Zuk & there is still no committment to next year.

Alvaro has been released from Zuk, but right now he's cutting laps on a Gresini bike. No word though on a contract.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just read this in my MotoGP email :thumbup:

Happy for Randy if Suki can commit to next year & make him #1 , really hope he isnt wasting his time coz like Jamie said , he needs a break :rockon:

If they build the 2012 bike around the Gixxer Thou then surely they must be halfway to a fantastic bike :don'tknow: They'll just hafta get RdP some crocs :D

Jugro

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, with de Puniet on the bike I really hope Suzuki are going to stay, that guy really deserves a break. Gonna be good to see if he can improve today:cheer:

And today Spies is only .5 after this guy:rockon:
stoner_preview_big.jpg

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, with de Puniet on the bike I really hope Suzuki are going to stay, that guy really deserves a break. Gonna be good to see if he can improve today:cheer:

And today Spies is only .5 after this guy:rockon:
stoner_preview_big.jpg

Yeah, but that guy only goes fast when he really needs to...Stoner aint silly, he will be doing a "Rossi", and keeping a bit up his sleeve, till the boys hit the 1st race of next year....he has nothing to prove, Ben does has lots to prove...he has to start winning regularly, or he will be looking for another ride this time next year, and it wont be with a good team...

Dont get me wrong, but Ben has underachieved this year.

:thumbup:

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
John Hopkins is still up in the air too.

I saw this on his twitter:

JHopper21: 2012: Nothing is confirmed yet by any means but I'm pretty sure what manufacturer I'll race for but which championship yet to be decided ...

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
John Hopkins is still up in the air too.

I saw this on his twitter:

JHopper21: 2012: Nothing is confirmed yet by any means but I'm pretty sure what manufacturer I'll race for but which championship yet to be decided ...

Hopper made one of the best comeback's i have seen, this year...came within less than a second in the last race of the championship, from winning the BSB Championship this year...

But the reality for Hopper is, he has had his chance, and he aint the youngest bloke out there...he wont get a full time Moto GP ride next year, but he probably deserves one!

Jugro

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, but that guy only goes fast when he really needs to...Stoner aint silly, he will be doing a "Rossi", and keeping a bit up his sleeve, till the boys hit the 1st race of next year....he has nothing to prove, Ben does has lots to prove...he has to start winning regularly, or he will be looking for another ride this time next year, and it wont be with a good team...

Dont get me wrong, but Ben has underachieved this year.

Wouldn't say he has underachieved. Fifth this season, beaten only by superior machinery and more experienced(at GP level) riders, stop crashing and we are good to go. This was only his second full season after all.

I would have compared him to the fastest Honda, which has a rider who really needs to improve, but the I wouldn't have a reason to link to that picture :D

About Suzuki we'll just have to wait until friday...

Last edited:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
BTW, it is confirmed that Hayden broke his wrist in the accident at Valencia.

You guys probably already know that, but I thought I'd tell ya again :)

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a big Ben Spies fan, but I have to agree with Wolfy, he has underachieved this year.

Do believe the big bike will suit him much better in 2012 :thumbup:

Chupacabra

College Graduate??
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a big Ben Spies fan, but I have to agree with Wolfy, he has underachieved this year.

Do believe the big bike will suit him much better in 2012 :thumbup:

I also agree, on a 1000cc he just might have a better opportunity to be consistent in all track conditions. JoLo seemed to operate better on the 800 (obviously) and I would be curious to see how ambitious he will be on the larger Yamaha next year.

Prediction: Ben will wring the 1000 better than JoLo. And hopefully RDP will make Rizla a contender.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I remember saying something about this a looooooong time ago :rolleyes: :BLAA:

Some riders are SBK riders & others are GP , Ben is better suited to SBK :D

Well, if that's the case, that Ben is better on a SBK bike, then surely the 1000cc GP bikes should suit him...maybe?

These 1000cc bikes are basically the 800's frame, and suspension with a bigger donk...the biggest difference will be with power delivery more similar to a SBK bike, which is where Ben might make ground...

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, if that's the case, that Ben is better on a SBK bike, then surely the 1000cc GP bikes should suit him...maybe?

These 1000cc bikes are basically the 800's frame, and suspension with a bigger donk...the biggest difference will be with power delivery more similar to a SBK bike, which is where Ben might make ground...

Nah im not thinking so , there is still a HUGE difference between GP & Superbikes :thumbup: I stand by my saying that Ben will be a perrenial underacheiver ;)

Jugro

Reaction score
Visit site

The biggest problem with the 1000cc is that they are still limited to 21L, that is going to put a dampener on the point and squirt, we are all hoping will return.