Ran out of gas, now wont start, What do i do?

woody7350

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello
I have a 2007 Yamaha FZ6, yesterday I started my bike an didnt notice my brother has been riding it while I have been in college. It ran out of gas, not I have been trying to start it and it wont start. While trying the battery went dead. So hooked it up to my mothers car, while it was shut off, key etc not even in the vehicle, little 4 banger pontiac. But yet my Fz6 will not start. Thanks
Patrick

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello
I have a 2007 Yamaha FZ6, yesterday I started my bike an didnt notice my brother has been riding it while I have been in college. It ran out of gas, not I have been trying to start it and it wont start. While trying the battery went dead. So hooked it up to my mothers car, while it was shut off, key etc not even in the vehicle, little 4 banger pontiac. But yet my Fz6 will not start. Thanks
Patrick
Did you put gas in it??

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Besides from the obvious, like having gas, is the side stand all the way up? If you're in neutral, it won't matter.

Have you tried push starting the bike, it's easier to get it running from a very low battery. Can you hear the fuel pump when you turn the ignition key over?

Have you asked your brother? He's been a regular here on this forum since you've been away at college.

woody7350

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, i put a full tank in it, an i tried bump starting it, nothing happened have tried an tried starting it, every now an then i get a couple pops and crackles but still nothing..

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Try turning the switch on and off a few times so the pump can reprime the whole fuel system, also since it was run dry if there was trash in the tank (very possible) the filter could now be clogged

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The kill switch on the right handlebar is turned to run correct? The bottom of the button should be pushed in. If its not on the fuel pump WILL NOT PUMP/ACTIVATE...

With that pushed in, then try turning the key on and off, as stated above it'll then prime the fuel rail. You should hear the fuel pump humm a second or two if working.

Make sure you have a good 12+ volts at the battery and its in NEUTRAL if on the side stand

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
My suggestion, based on personal experience with this specific problem:

- Make sure the motor is not super cold. Thick oil and the need for rich mixture will make starting very difficult. I see you're in Missouri, if it's down below 40°F get the bike in a warm garage for as long as it takes to get the chill out of the crankcase.

- Make sure your battery is fully charged.

- Key on, transmission in neutral.

- While turning the throttle WIDE OPEN, hold starter switch in for 10-20 seconds. The motor will cough, stumble and try to come to life. Just keep the starter button engaged until it starts and begins to rev up. Back off the throttle quite a bit but keep it about 2000-3000 RPM for maybe 5 seconds, it should be holding a steady speed.

-Let it idle on it's own, and problem solved.

As I have had this happen twice (due to extended inactivity) I have looked at the fueling layout to see what the problem is. My opinion is that the fuel rail, which is located directly above the injectors, develops a vapor pocket which must be bled off before liquid fuel arrives at the injector inlet valves. The fuel pump/pressure sensor, which is back in the tank, simply sees fuel manifold pressure increase to the set point, and does not distinguish between a solid hydraulic line of gasoline and a vapor bubble which is being compressed by the pump. In other words, it is an open loop instead of a closed loop. So, as you have this vapor bubble sitting in the rail, above the injectors with a supply port on the on the bottom quadrant, the system is injecting unsaturated vapor instead of atomized liquid, at least to start with. As you continue to turn over the motor, the vapor bubble begins to deplete, replaced by liquid gasoline, but very slowly as the injection system is only dispensing a tiny bit of vapor each revolution. 10-20 seconds elapse and the rail begins to have liquid find its way to the injectors and it richens the mixture to the point that combustion starts to happen 1 cylinder at a time. Once it holds ignition on it's own, the purging completes itself and everything is back to normal.

I can't see a way to allow the fuel rail to self prime as the pressure relief valve is located inside the tank and you need to have a way to get liquid to flush through the rail. There is a pulsation damper on the rail but that need to remain to prevent hammering in the system from normal operation. Brazing a piece of tubing and installing a bleed valve would allow purging, but I wouldn't do that as it would be a safety hazard.

Sorry for the ramble...

Last edited:

woody7350

Reaction score
Visit site
Its in neutral I can hear the pump priming, I've primed it over an over, turned the switch off an on several times, thinking maybe its flooded? Going to let it sit the night, try again tom, an it has 12vlts running to battery if it don't start tom may look into the Fuel Filter.. Hope that the problem is a simple rookie move an I didn't do something bad.. :( Thank you all for your help, I will post what happens tomorrow.. Thank you again!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
on the 2007 is the filter in the tank or located else where? thanks

The fuel filter is part of the fuel pump located inside the gas tank. The pump has to come out first, then the pump can separate to allow access to the filter. The filter is NOT replaceable as its attached to the fuel pump, just clean it as best as possible.

The above post ref to holding the throttle wide open and cranking has worked for certain FJR's when the bike was turned off while still in the cold/high idle cycle... It would indeed, flood.

If the tank is up, you can also remove the air filter and shoot a little bit of starting fluid down the throttle bodies. If it has spark and compression (at the right time) it should kick and give enough time for the fuel pump/injectors to fill up and run as it should..

Also, read this post: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/41746-no-fuel-pressure.html

Last edited:

woody7350

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you, i let the bike charge for a bit tried starting this morning, and still nothing took the pump out an cleaned the filter best i could put everything back together and still no life has came back.. Maybe a fuse somewhere? starting to think I need to take to a pro. an maybe get some pointers at school for motorcycles, dont know near as much as needed.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
When you cleaned it what did it look like? Could you see a decent amount of trash/debris or was it fairly clean

woody7350

Reaction score
Visit site
There was a fair amount in one spot the rest of the filter looked fine, ive tried starter fluid still no fire, either gunna save an take to a pro or try spark plugs, cant find a tester before i leave back for college. An I've asked him an he only would start it an let it warm up maybe go down the road an back a mile or so.. He hasnt even heard of this forum till i said something about it.

woody7350

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you to every one on here from keeping me from spending no telling what, just kept the bike full throttle kept spraying starter fluid into the throttle bodies and it finally sparked to life! woo, got to go for a long enjoyable ride before heading back to College, taking the bike to dads to put into a garage till i get back. :thumbup: