Rainsuits- 2pc or 1pc and what is a good brand?

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I plan on doing a few trips this summer and would like to get a couple of rain suits that are compact and will not fall apart after a season. Should I look at 2pc or 1pc and what is a good brand/price range for a quality suit?

fergie.g

Lives for the ride!
Reaction score
Visit site
There are several...

RS Taichi, $140 2 piece

RS Taichi Racing Rain Suit from SportbikeTrackGear.com

Revit, $150 no pants

REV'IT! Triton Rain Jacket from SportbikeTrackGear.com

Fox Fluid Jacket - BEST BUY, $35 on eBay...if you have cash, get either of the above but if all you want to do is keep rain out, this is the best, most cost effective option. As far as pants go you can use any wind breaker training pants from Nike, under armour, etc...even Wal-Mart...

I plan on doing a few trips this summer and would like to get a couple of rain suits that are compact and will not fall apart after a season. Should I look at 2pc or 1pc and what is a good brand/price range for a quality suit?

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have looked around on motorcycle superstore but all the reviews are conflicting, for almost every positive review saying it is the best rainsuit ever there is another saying it is the worst rainsuit ever lol. I think a lot of reviews are just people making things up lol.

Thanks for the info, I want a suit that will last more than 1 season so the $20 suits are out lol.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have pieced mine together from here and there, but my rain jacket is a >10 year old Nelson Rigg I got from my Dad and it still works like it's new. They don't make it any more, but I think mine has been replaced by this:

SR-6000 Stormrider

Check it out in person if you can, like I said I don't have that exact one.

Oh, and I use a 2-piece suit and haven't had a problem with water getting in.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have several, including the Frogg Toggs.

Negatives about Frogg Toggs. The elastic bands are very difficult to go over your gloves, too tight. Whatever the material used to keep you dry, it does soak in, meaning that the water will not repel off, so it takes a long time to dry.

Plus side, you can fold it so it is not bulky and does not take much room.

Remember, rain gear does not have to be motorcycle specific since it's just going over your gear, meaning that you might even find it cheaper or even a better product buying from a sporting goods store, or a marine store. Bass Pro Shops has a great selection.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll throw in my .02 on the Frogg Toggs. OP, you mentioned one thing that's always sold me on them...the fact that they breathe. Pretty much every other rain suit I've ever come across (that's affordable) is just PVC coated nylon. The problem with that? Yeah, it might keep the rain off you, but if it's not breathing and you're sweating underneath your gear, you're still gonna end up wet. Will they keep your gear from getting soaked (especially if you're wearing head to toe leather like I usually am)? Yeah...but you just end up feeling all mucked up and nasty. With the Frogg Toggs, you don't get this feeling.

And I've never had the issue that Vegas pointed out, namely that the elastic is almost too tight to fit over your gloves. My set is just about perfect in this regard. But it's all subjective, so my suggestion is that you try some on if you get the chance.

If you've got a Dick's Sporting Goods anywhere near you, that's where I got mine. But they sell them at a million different places.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As far as the breathability, I usually end up riding in the rain during the winter, when it's cold so I like that the nylon helps keep the air out.

One thing, I still haven't figured out a way to keep my neck and the bottom of my helmet completly dry. You know, the chin strap getting all wet and all. I need something that comes down from the bottom of my chin guard and over my neck.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
As far as the breathability, I usually end up riding in the rain during the winter, when it's cold so I like that the nylon helps keep the air out.

One thing, I still haven't figured out a way to keep my neck and the bottom of my helmet completly dry. You know, the chin strap getting all wet and all. I need something that comes down from the bottom of my chin guard and over my neck.

That's a great point, Vegas. If you're riding in a cold rain, then the nylon rain suits are much better! :thumbup:

I'm only speaking from my own experience, though. Usually, the only time I need a rain suit is when I make a trip to Deal's Gap...lol. I've been there twice and BOTH times, I got completely soaked. On my very first trip across the Gap, about 2 miles in, it started raining as hard as I've ever seen it rain. I knew if I stopped and turned around I'd be soaked anyway by the time I made it back to the Crossroads, so I just kept going. It made for a memorable first trip across!

Then, last year, we rode across the Cherahola Skyway (the first time I'd been across it) to have lunch. On the way back, it rained on us the entire time!

Maybe I should just accept the fact that any time I visit down there I'm gonna need to go ahead and put my rain suit on! :D

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is a good idea about not looking for motorcycle specific suits, I never thought about that. Also, I do think I want to go for a breathable suit since I will be using it in the summer.

Sometimes I think I live in Seattle where it rains here so much. Here in WV we seem to be stuck in a weather pattern every year where it rains hard almost every single weekend, clears up the middle of the week then rain returns just in time for the weekend again. :(

Wind Advisory
Hazardous Weather Outlook

Today: Mostly sunny, with a high near 69. South wind between 14 and 18 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.

Tonight: Showers likely, mainly after 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 50. Windy, with a southeast wind between 24 and 31 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Saturday: Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. High near 58. Windy, with a south wind 27 to 30 mph decreasing to between 13 and 16 mph. Winds could gust as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.

Saturday Night: Showers likely, mainly before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 41. West wind between 11 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Sunday: A slight chance of showers before 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 57. West wind between 10 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 40.

Monday: Partly sunny, with a high near 68.

Monday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44.

Tuesday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 75. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Tuesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 52.

Wednesday: Partly sunny, with a high near 77.

Wednesday Night: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 53. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Thursday: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 70. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
i stay in a tropical country and it always rains here. i use cheap SGD$30 rain gear. preferred choice is actually the rs taichi raingear, but its not cheap about $120 and i dont think it can last 4 years. moreover, i am afraid it will get stolen if i just put the raingear on my bike to dry.