Racetech springs - effectiveness

Morcs

Reaction score
Visit site
Im thinking of getting a set of springs.

Just wondering how good are they? how much do they change the handling?

On bumpy NZ backroads I feel the bike isnt terribly planted and feels like its skitty around - a huge difference compared to my CBR which would haul arse and feel planted and stable.

Not going to go emulators due to extra cost.
Ive been quoted 299 NZ for the set (about 175 USD)

Cheers

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
Cant speak first hand about the Racetechs but they have received excellent reviews in this space in the past. I just recently installed Hyper-Pro springs and the difference was amazing. Worth every $$, in hindsight upgrading the suspension (either with the R6 Mod, Race-tech springs or Hyper Pros) would have been my first investment. I love my FZ6, the only real issue I have encountered is the suspension, good thing there are great options available.

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
I put the RaceTech springs (.95kg) on my bike and replaced the stock oil with 10w. The difference was very noticeable and in my opinion worth every penny. The mod is easy even if you pull the forks off to drain the fluid (I did this and it is highly recommended).

Go for it :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have racetech springs and gold valve emulators on my black bike...they are great, big improvement...set up is the most important thing, once you get some adjustability though.

:thumbup:

Morcs

Reaction score
Visit site
i have racetech springs and gold valve emulators on my black bike...they are great, big improvement...set up is the most important thing, once you get some adjustability though.

Ive got Robert Taylor supplying the springs - so the spring rate, oil grade and level etc.. will be perfect as he is Mr Ohlins and suspension in NZ :D

Springs go in friday, will let ya'll know how they go.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ive got Robert Taylor supplying the springs - so the spring rate, oil grade and level etc.. will be perfect as he is Mr Ohlins and suspension in NZ :D

Springs go in friday, will let ya'll know how they go.

That's fantastic...our SA suspension guru, just passed away rather suddenly...very sad, and also leaves me with a dilemma as to who to take my bike's to know....

Cant wait to see what you think....

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
I got some Ohlins springs and other oil as well, by bikesetup ( Belgium ). The guy's an real expert on suspension as well (does a lot of track bikes, pro's). He also said that the preload on the back should go harder then 5, unless you ride duo. Cause the bike has to have some negative travel (up) as well .

Really happy with the mod.
Altho I could have gone with the R6, 4 piston conversion. But sadly too expensive for me now. Odered steel lines and EBC HH pads, will do the trick :Flash: ... I hope :eek:

Boro8907

Reaction score
Visit site
HI Morcs

Did you get the fork spring mod done, also was the cost inc fitting?
I'm thinking of the same Mod and looking for someone in Auckland

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
Finally did the RaceTech fork spring mod with fresh oil in the bike and in hind-site this should have been a priority mod for me long ago. I can't believe how much better the bike handles: it feels really planted in corners, handles the bumps better, on-off gas transitions are smoother no longer upsetting the balance of the bike, and you are able to break much more effectively as the heavy nose drive is eliminated.

I also raised the forks in the triples for a quicker turn-in and really like having this overall setup.

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
Put 1.0kg springs and 15wt oil in mine 2 years ago. Although shortening the spacers to get the correct sag was tedious, it was totally worth the time and money.