R6S forks seeping

Hondo64d

Reaction score
Visit site
I have noticed a little fluid on the inner tube of my R6S forks, since I moded my FZ6. Pretty sure the fork seals are leaking. I understand that the inverted forks take some specialy tools, but what about non-inverted forks? Are the fork seals something I could do myself?

Thanks,

John

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have noticed a little fluid on the inner tube of my R6S forks, since I moded my FZ6. Pretty sure the fork seals are leaking. I understand that the inverted forks take some specialy tools, but what about non-inverted forks? Are the fork seals something I could do myself?

Thanks,

John
No take it to the shop! there are specality tools needed for this job.and get the factory seals dont cheap out on this one because the aftermarket are gauranteed to leak!!:thumbup:

Hondo64d

Reaction score
Visit site
Update. Sent my R6S Forks to Piper Performance Racing in North Richland Hills (Near Ft. Worth). Piper is one of two Racetech authorized service centers here in Texas. They completely disassembled the forks, inspected all the components, installed Racetech springs, replaced the seals (Racetech) and oil (Bel Ray) and shipped them back all for $247. I thought that was a bargain considering I had them back exactly one week after I sent them. Just got them back on the bike tonight, so have only ridden around the block, but the stiffer springs definitely make a difference in the ride, which was already a huge improvement over the stock forks to begin with.

John

Last edited:

Hondo64d

Reaction score
Visit site
About 175 buck naked. Cliff at Piper Performance was pretty adamant about going with a little heavier than stock R6S spring for two reasons: The FZ6 is a little heavier bike, and he says Yamaha nortoriously undersprings their stuff. Since he's the Racetech guru, and the cost was minimal, I took him for his word. I still have the stock R6S springs if I decide I don't like the Racetechs, but based on my short ride, I don't think that's going to be the case...

John

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
good to know. i haven't really been on the bike since I did them so I'll see how they feel and definitely keep that in mind.

what size spring did you put in?

Hondo64d

Reaction score
Visit site
good to know. i haven't really been on the bike since I did them so I'll see how they feel and definitely keep that in mind.

what size spring did you put in?

Still fishing through the box for the invoice, but I think they said .90s.

John

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
John - That looks like a great shop and a great deal. Thanks for posting the link.