R6 Header

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
So I have had the R6 header on my 09 for a couple months now and have several hundred miles on it. For anybody looking into an exhaust, consider doing it with the R6S header. IMO this is the most well constructed header ever designed. It has a perfect 4-2-1 pipe setup. Big long primaries, long secondaries and a good amount of straight section. I was worried about the lack of back pressure going into this project, but it has not been an issue. The bike pulls harder throughout. It is meaner than it ever was, and will get better with a PC. Bit of work to get it on, but not that difficult. Next on the agenda will be experimenting with better velocity stacks.

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would like to see the picture of this, was it hard to fit? or did some modifications need to be done?
:needpics:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
what Geoff said ^

You've got my attention. Would like to know how you made it fit and if it will work with the stock cat pipe.

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
what Geoff said ^

You've got my attention. Would like to know how you made it fit and if it will work with the stock cat pipe.

Totally off topic.

I think your quote in your signature is written by Eleanor Roosevelt. Just thought you might like to know, I'm not 100% sure though.

Last edited:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Totally off topic.

I think your quote in your signature is written by Eleanor Roosevelt. Just thought you might like to know, I'm not 100% sure though.

Thanks for that Geoff. I googled around and could not find a definative source. I cannot remember where I swiped it from, but I liked it.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Come On DHoback.. don't be like this!!

It is your civic responsibility as an FZ6-forum member to 1) give more details on how we can do this mod and 2) photos!! lots of em. :D :thumbup:

Please help us all out and don't keep us hanging. It's not too late for us to do this mod before the season begins in earnest.

Thanks

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry guys. just got back from riding today. ive put up several pics already, and a couple vids. but here they are again. It was not all that difficult. Little elbow greese. The 03-05 R6 and newer R6S header. The muffler is from an 08 R6R. Total investment was $150.

DSC01954.jpg

DSC01952.jpg

DSC01955.jpg

MOV01899.mp4 video by DHoback - Photobucket

Quin Weller

Reaction score
Visit site
hey i am really interested i want better sound and flow but i don't want to pay $500+ but i've heard on some other posts that u might have to bend the pipe so that it doesn't hit the oil pan plus those years u posted fit the fz6 for sure? and what's different with the r6s header? any info will be appreciated!!

Quin Weller

Reaction score
Visit site
also what have u done with the holes where the old exhaust was? also i have found older headers 99 00 01 02 will those work better cause the are considerably cheaper.

Last edited:

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
No it wont work with the stock exhaust. The entire stock exhaust is gone. I dont the believe the older headers will work, but I havnt tried. Any 03-05 R6 and newer R6S headers will work. They are the same header. (and the best design) The header does hit the oil pan. Luckly, there is a convenient hole that the header bracket lines up with with a little persuasion.:thumbup:So yes, you have to bend the header a bit. but it's not as bad as you it sounds. This header is extremely strong. I simply turned my stock fender/plate holder into an FE with some cutting. I also cut the bottom portion of plastic that goes around the stock muffler. It looks a little unfinished, but fine to me. The gains are well worth it. And I dig the mad max, rough look anyway. There is also a huge weight savings. I have eliminated close to 20 lbs just in the exhaust. At 6'4" 215lbs I will take all the weight salvage I can. I have always been good at thinking outside the box on things like this, to maximize performance and save money at the same time. As I said before, I am going to be playing around with spun alluminum velocity stacks next.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
I looked at your videos of your mod, I like what you did to the rear of the bike where the stock exhaust used to be. What exhaust do you have on it?

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
The muffler came off of an 08 R6R. Its the titainum muffler, bolted directy to the header with the EXUP valve open. I painted it black to make it go faster:D Oh, and no guys, I dont have dyno numbers. I dont even know of any bike dynos around me. But I have a pretty keen butt dyno. I'll simply say it deffinately is not down on power, and does feel stronger throughout. I know it wuould be better with the O2 back in, and a PC, but i havnt got to that point yet. The CO adjustment has worked decently. I actually had to go to -15% to get it where I wanted. For those that dont understand, when the O2 is not used the ECM runs in open loop, which sends a command for a rich condition(cold start up) When the O2 heats up to operating temp the ECM goes into closed loop and the O2 sensor has large input into the AF ratio. The way it sits, the bike has great throttle response, no dead spots and Im still getting 40mpg.

Last edited: