R6 Front Fender on FZ6 Forks?

Jb40k

Reaction score
www.twitter.com
Hi all,

To cut a long story short... I've managed to smash my carbon fibre front fender!

After having trawled eBay I've noticed some huge price differences between new CF fenders for the FZ6 and R6 ('06+). My question to the forum in light of not being able to pull anything up on the search or through Google;

Would an R6 fender fit onto my standard FZ6 forks?

I've been trying to get to grips with the dimensions, but the mounting points seem the same?

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
i also wonder if they fit or not.
I've heart that the gap between the tire is not enough with R6 front fender.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No is the short answer. However you could put the R6 Forks on and the answer goes to yes as long as its not the later radially mounted caliper/inverted forks but you have to change front tires from 120/70 series to 120/60 series. The downside here is the wider tire will change the turn-in effort required into the corners.

I've never looked at other tire combinations but there may be something else that could work - idk.

PS - the R6 forks are the best investment ever!
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/36842-somethin-black.html#post462894

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/42817-best-investment-ever-r6-forks-rides-so-nice.html

Jb40k

Reaction score
www.twitter.com
No is the short answer. However you could put the R6 Forks on and the answer goes to yes as long as its not the later radially mounted caliper/inverted forks but you have to change front tires from 120/70 series to 120/60 series.

Thanks FinalImpact!

I have toyed with the idea of the fork conversion, mainly for the aesthetic though. To be honest, I'm struggling to justify dropping £120 on a new carbon fender at the moment; the fork conversion would be awesome, but quite costly I can imagine.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks FinalImpact!

I have toyed with the idea of the fork conversion, mainly for the aesthetic though. To be honest, I'm struggling to justify dropping £120 on a new carbon fender at the moment; the fork conversion would be awesome, but quite costly I can imagine.

Place your bet at the right time and WALLA - they can be yours for cheap! Mine shipped for $150USD :thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you do the fork conversion I have a brand new Armour Bodies R6/R6S fender you can have for $20. So new it is still in bubble-wrap. It's fiberglass with kevlar drill points, primed and ready for paint.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just the forks, or including the spacers etc too? Also shipped to the UK? You have my attention!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

All total mine was $250
Forkies 150, spacer kit for axle/fender 80, R6 axle 15

I had new fork oil and the miles were low and condition was great so I left the original seals.

Gap with R6 forks and Stock FZ6 Fender. . . One finger and yes, if something sticky adheres to the tire it gets clipped by the fender or ground through. . .
DSC_4979FenderGap.jpg

Last edited:

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
After loosing my original fender at high speed - it was already a cracked by the the PO and the speed made it bend in at the cracks and catch the tire and snap off- got a R6 fender for my R6 forks (only thing available for a reasonable price) and I can confirm that it's not a perfect fit.

The R6 tire is 120/60, which theoretically means 72mm rim to tire outside height, while the FZ6 tire is 120/70 meaning there should be a height of 84mm, meaning that now it's 12mm closer than how Yamaha designed it. I do not think it's necessary to "get back" all those 12mm but I want at least 5-6 more mm. At high speed the tire does stretch and increase it's outside diameter, so the few mm current clearance isn't enough.

I'll file down the red markings in my drawing (not the actual fender, mine is white and unpainted), and if necessary back up the backside of the holes with a bit of fiberglass (shouldn't take too long).

Attachments

• CBYA-R603-FFD__3A.jpg
    CBYA-R603-FFD__3A.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited: