r6 fork conversion?

Beeg22

Reaction score
Visit site
I am in the middle of converting and 04 fz6 to an 03 r6 front end, As for parts I started with 03 r6-forks, calipers, axle and bolt, wheel and rotors, and fender. I have mounted the forks, and went to put the wheel on and noticed that neither set of spacers will fill the void. Just curious if there is a place that makes special spacers for the conversion, or if I should just use common washers and split them 50/50 each side? If the latter of the two is there a set gap that needs to be filled or just till its snug? Thanks

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a certain size washer to use, McMaster-Carr carries them, I forget the part number offhand but it is here on the board somewhere. When I did the swap they only had them in large quantities, so I had to get a bag of 50. Now I have like 46 laying around the garage.:( There are actually 2 different sizes you'll need, one for the calipers and one for the axle IIRC.

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
You can get all the spacers you need here http://www.600riders.com/forum/bikes-parts-sale/28871-r6-fork-mod-spacers.html

dako81 is a great guy to deal with...

FZ6-ZN

I am in the middle of converting and 04 fz6 to an 03 r6 front end, As for parts I started with 03 r6-forks, calipers, axle and bolt, wheel and rotors, and fender. I have mounted the forks, and went to put the wheel on and noticed that neither set of spacers will fill the void. Just curious if there is a place that makes special spacers for the conversion, or if I should just use common washers and split them 50/50 each side? If the latter of the two is there a set gap that needs to be filled or just till its snug? Thanks

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
would dako81 's spacer kit work with the R6S forks and calipers?
I remember reading that the R6S forks were the same part number as the (older/pre-USD) R6.
But if you go with the R6S, you get a newer part.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I found some used 2008 r6s forks with 9200 miles on it.
Should I redo the seals and fluid for these?

and I found some used 2009 r6s front calipers with 8210 miles on it.
Should I redo the seals for these as well?

Is there anything else I should do to the forks and calipers?
I know that I can get racetech springs, but I think I'll be ok without them. I'm not trying to become Freddie Spencer or anything..... :D

I'm just trying to figure out the amount of time/money involved to get the job done right. :thumbup:

Thanks!

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
You should only need to reseal R6/R6S forks if they're leaking (you'll notice residue and/or grim at the bottom of the fork). You should not need new fork fluid unless you make an internal repair (like a revalve or install new springs job) when you're not getting the compression or rebound you want out of the forks; and even then use the same fork fluid weight.

Well I found some used 2008 r6s forks with 9200 miles on it.
Should I redo the seals and fluid for these?

and I found some used 2009 r6s front calipers with 8210 miles on it.
Should I redo the seals for these as well?

Is there anything else I should do to the forks and calipers?
I know that I can get racetech springs, but I think I'll be ok without them. I'm not trying to become Freddie Spencer or anything..... :D

I'm just trying to figure out the amount of time/money involved to get the job done right. :thumbup:

Thanks!