r6 exhaust?

I have seen pictures of an FZ6 with a single, right side mounted exhaust. IIRC it was a UK bike and I think I saw it over on SBN-FZ6 forum.

It looked...odd...as the FZ6 was designed to have dual undertail so there was a lot of space left under the seat and between the tire with no exhaust there.

i agree with it looking odd. but hopefully my new sub frame solves that problem. It really opens up that back tire and the undertail wouldn't work. The only spot left for the exhaust is low and off to the side just like the r6. I have a guy thats good at re-jetting so i dont believe that would be a problem. Really need to find something compatible. thanks boneman

I did some searching and found these for ya:

Two Bros TI can: *** Looks like an R6 swing arm on this FZ6 ***

88515d1151469932t-secret-project-revealed-img_3768.jpg

Leo Vince: This one was done with a stcok FZ6 swing arm

ImageShack - Hosting :: dscf4053sn7.jpg

ImageShack - Hosting :: dscf4050ac8.jpg

ImageShack - Hosting :: dscf4055tm4.jpg

The forum thread that contained these two bikes is here (2 years old BTW): Secret project revealed - Page 1 - Sportbikes.net

There is another thread on SBN about Side Exhausts: Fz6 Side Exhaust? - Sportbikes.net

You might find it amusing that someone also posted "it begs the question. why didnt you just buy an R6?" ;) So don't get too upset over that comment.

Last edited:
your a saint-thats exactly what im looking for. It really does blow my mind people could confuse customizing and upgrading. Down the road i plan on having a custom swing arm to finish off that rear end. I think that would be tits. This is the help i was looking for -:rockon:

That's why I used the word "Wouldn't" vs "Go" when I replied to your thread, thinking that it wouldn't come across as a smart comment. But apparently not. I forgot to mention that you possibly could add risers to the R6 bars. My roomate has an '07 R6, my bike parks next to his everynight. I even ride it frequently too, so not only do I see the difference between the two bikes everyday, but I can feel and hear the difference between the two bikes when I ride it. So when you said you don't like some of the features that an R6 has, I can understand that. I enjoy seeing negative comments, makes the thread more interesting. You remind me so much of another member named "Magseal", I miss him. Welcome to the forum by the way.

A true sport bike like the R6 is not suitable for my needs. Really its not suitable for anyones needs unless they are on the track. And I'm not.

This is so not true Shadow. Granted, the RR type bikes are not well suited to the daily grind of our worlds traffic dilemma but get them out where they can be used to an appropriate measure and they do have their respective place. Where I live you could run that R6 real hard and you may never encounter another vehicle. There are places where the likes of the RR type sportbike will find happiness and it ain't no dang race track although we that live here may use it for one......

Now, considering weight would appear to be an issue and 30-35 pounds is your goal, why not launch the battery and go with a mag? That alone should be worth about 6 pounds. You may also consider tearing the bike down and switching over to silicon nitride bearings which are 40% lighter than their factory counterparts. They will also increase horsepower to a measurable degree.

Just keep this in mind, there are an unlimited number of things that can be done to virtually any bike however, what remains in terms of overall performance is often less than that of the original machine as the new and improved is generally not as diverse.

i have taken a magneto into consideration but never even thought about the bearings. I will definitely look into that. Thanks blu. And my apologies Vegas.

Hey, if you're going to do it, do it right and go for it. So, launch every bit of unsprung weight you can get your hands on and lose every bit of friction you can. Silicon Nitride is not cheap however, the gains resulting from its use are worth every penny. What kinds of material are you looking at for the sub-frame and swingarm? You may be able to get 30% out of that too. This project may get rather serious but the end result could actually be way trick....

Wow, I always miss the good stuff.:D

Anyone correct me if I am wrong but I think you can get a 05 header from an R6 off ebay or something and it will match and have the angle and for that particular style of exhaust or tip, you can check out Hotbodies pipe for a R6 as well. Im pretty sure the centerstand is history too if not already.

Hope it helps!:thumbup:

I'm using 6061 Al(aircraft spec). Its expensive but am fortunate to know someone that gets it fairly cheap. The project is already pretty serious but am doing it modularly so I am able to ride while I build. It may be another year until the finishing touches are made but already its looking better. Subframe will be installed by May. New rims in June, and swing arm in July. I was wondering about new hedders. That was going to be one of my next questions. Good call man. Will look into those right now.

Found some headers for as cheap as 20$ on craigslist. I am even willing to pay as much as 300 so this is going on the list now. The centerstand lasted about 2 days. I cant wait to get the subframe on with the new exhaust. After having a mock up done I asked some people what they said and alot said it looks like a futuristic cruiser. But a cruiser with sportbike heart. I'm also thinking of having the tank and seat wrapped in some nice leather. Too many ideas.

I'm using 6061 Al(aircraft spec). Its expensive but am fortunate to know someone that gets it fairly cheap. The project is already pretty serious but am doing it modularly so I am able to ride while I build. It may be another year until the finishing touches are made but already its looking better. Subframe will be installed by May. New rims in June, and swing arm in July. I was wondering about new hedders. That was going to be one of my next questions. Good call man. Will look into those right now.

What are you going to use for rims?

R6 exhaust is easy done, just posted some pics of my bike

hello ever1.
I would like to know how to you choose the right exhaust pipe for your bike?
I have an fz6 2005, which pipe from the R6 should I choose? or are all good for the job.
thanks

Back