R1 to FZ1 Mod

Reaction score
Visit site
I met this guy where I was staying in Robbinsville who had a rather interesting bike. He had it under an FZ1 cover and when he pulled the cover off, I was thrilled to see an under the seat exhaust. I thought he had modded an FZ1 with an R1 exhaust, something I've always wanted to see. Then on second glance I notice it's not an FZ1 at all. I asked the guy, "what the hell have you got there?" He says that he's taken an R1 and converted it to "an old man's bike." He had taken an R1 and made a new triple clamp with raised bars, stuck an fz1 front on it, changed the rear sets, and altered the seat so he had "a bike that performs just like an R1 and is as comfortable as an FZ1." While it is not exactly a polished production look, it is exactly what I'm hoping for in the next generation FZ1. For me, this would make perfect sense for the FZ line up.

Cochiez

Reaction score
Visit site
You didn't know? It's cool to turn a streetbike into a streetfighter. It's not cool to buy a streetfighter (unless it's a duc).
:BLAA:

Sweet looking bike though.

uclajoebruin

Reaction score
Visit site
Not a huge fan of the handlebar clamps, but pretty sweet otherwise.

I remember Sportrider magazine ran an article a while back where they basically stripped down an R1 in the same way. Added an upright handlebar, headlights, bar end mirros, and got the ultimate naked superbike. :rockon:

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ah that's awesome. A guy near our place has a gixxer1 with dirtbike bars on it - I kinda like it too!