R1 retired from commuting duties...

S

sportrider

I've decided to save the R1 for the weekends only. now that gas prices are finally under $3.00 a gallon, I put my truck back in service. now maybe a set of tires will last an entire season!!! looks like you win Rob:bow:

:D

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
such a sad day...how far is the commute? Why give up the bike? Even at 2.99 a gallon, it's still cheaper to ride. Or maybe seasonal now?

Commute on the bike when it's warm? You're in Cali for goodness sakes!

J

jsteinb95

such a sad day...how far is the commute? Why give up the bike? Even at 2.99 a gallon, it's still cheaper to ride. Or maybe seasonal now?

Commute on the bike when it's warm? You're in Cali for goodness sakes!

I think the commute is 50-55 miles one way. You really don't understand....the R1 is a gas hog. We did the math and it's only $80 a month cheaper to ride the bike. Why log all those miles on the bike?!?! At the rate he was going, the bike would've been worn out before it was paid for.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
yea, I save $87 a month by riding everywhere instead of driving my Jeep. Based on 600 miles a month between commutting and traveling.

Jeep: 600 miles/ 15mpg = 40 gal of fuel * $3.2/gal = $128

FZ6: 600 miles/ 45mpg = 13 gal of fuel * $3.2/gal = $41

Savings: $87

I think I did my math right. Well, at any rate, at my paycheck, that's a good chunk of change. That's THREE weeks of groceries right there.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll be riding my bicycle to work 2.5 miles one way (flat) in SF starting December 1st!!! Can also take a bus when needed. Urban living has its benefits (and drawbacks).

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
W0rd to that Defy! I'm starting on Monday to ride a bicycle on my 5mi one way commute to work. It'll save me the hour I spend running to stay in shape. haha

and based on above...it'll save a tank of gas! $20!

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
It was 35 degrees this morning (so said the temp gauge in the car in front of me) and I'm still riding. When I ride I am saving at least $20 on gas/wk and $22.50 in parking/wk so basically all my commute costs me is mileage. Or another way to look at it is owning the bike pays for itself.

But my biggest reason for trying to commute year round is I can ride in the HOV-3 lanes which saves me at least 30 minutes each way (if not more)

castle228

'07 Kobalt FZ1
Reaction score
Visit site
'Sup Necro. I work in Tysons and live in South Riding. I've got an FZ1 and my wife and her good friend have FZ6's. Not too many fazer riders in NoVA, so I just thought I'd say hey.

Poobah

Reaction score
Visit site
It was 35 degrees this morning (so said the temp gauge in the car in front of me) and I'm still riding.

:thumbup:

27F when I left for work yesterday here in Minneapolis. My hands were yelling at the end of it, however. :eek: Almost time to put it on blocks for the winter. Hard to do becasue the afternoons are still quite enjoyable.
As for gas, the SUV is too much of a hog if I don't need it for warmth or capacity.

-P

S

sportrider

52 miles one way. it's not really the mileage, it's that riding the 10 freeway is freaking boring unless I'm blitzing traffic at triple digits. not to mention the freeway is so jacked up (expansion joints & such) all I will end up doing is cupping the crap out of my tires. speaking of, if you figure in the pair of tires I'd have to buy every other month the difference between the truck and bike is smaller yet. and as J said I don't want to wear it out commuting. I've only owned it 4 months and have 8400+ miles on it, and sadly about 7000 miles of that is on the super slab commuting.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
52 miles one way. it's not really the mileage, it's that riding the 10 freeway is freaking boring unless I'm blitzing traffic at triple digits. not to mention the freeway is so jacked up (expansion joints & such) all I will end up doing is cupping the crap out of my tires. speaking of, if you figure in the pair of tires I'd have to buy every other month the difference between the truck and bike is smaller yet. and as J said I don't want to wear it out commuting. I've only owned it 4 months and have 8400+ miles on it, and sadly about 7000 miles of that is on the super slab commuting.

should have got an FZ6 :D

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Sportrider, if you still had your FZ6, would you still be commuting on it? I thought when I saw the thread title that this was about R1 being uncomfortable for commuting, but that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not saving any money on gas riding the FZ to work, as I always seem to stray into too many detours on the way home.
The last one went thru Wyoming. :rolleyes:

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
yea, I save $87 a month by riding everywhere instead of driving my Jeep. Based on 600 miles a month between commutting and traveling.

Jeep: 600 miles/ 15mpg = 40 gal of fuel * $3.2/gal = $128

FZ6: 600 miles/ 45mpg = 13 gal of fuel * $3.2/gal = $41

Savings: $87

I think I did my math right. Well, at any rate, at my paycheck, that's a good chunk of change. That's THREE weeks of groceries right there.

Don't forget that it's also a LOT less emissions and wear and tear on the roads. If everyone rode motorcycles, think of how nice the roads would be.