R to FZ Conversions

terp84alum

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi folks,

I'm interested in a FZ-1 or FZ-6, however, there are very very few used ones for sale in my area. I'm using ebay, craigslist, and cycletrader without much luck. My question is how hard would it be to convert a R6 or R1 to a FZ bike? Is it much more than handlebars? What I'm really looking for is a more upright sport bike. Thanks for any info that might help.

FZTofer

The Gamer
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi folks,

I'm interested in a FZ-1 or FZ-6, however, there are very very few used ones for sale in my area. I'm using ebay, craigslist, and cycletrader without much luck. My question is how hard would it be to convert a R6 or R1 to a FZ bike? Is it much more than handlebars? What I'm really looking for is a more upright sport bike. Thanks for any info that might help.

wouldn't you have to change the frame and the handle bars to make it more of an up right style bike?

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
The engines are based on the same design, but I believe the actual conversion will cost you quite a bit more. I know the frames are different, as you can not fit a R1 motor into an FZ frame, and you may have to switch the triple clamps and forks to accomodate the bars instead of clip ons.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
If you really want an FZ, then wait till you find one. There are some for sale on this site. Converting a R1/6 doesn't make much sense if a FZ is really what you're after. There are too many things that differentiate these bikes.

Thorpiticus

Reaction score
Visit site
The foot position/rearsets are pretty radically different, I believe. I'm not sure if you can relocate R1/R6 rearsets or not. As previously stated, I would recommend waiting for an FZ.

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
On the front cover of Cycle World, a couple issues ago, they took a R1 and converted it to a naked. The put new handlebars and risers on it to get it to a more upright position. It was a killer bike. I think they spent like 1.5k on it and it is ridiculously awesome.

You wouldnt have to spend as much as they did, but probably about $750 for a new bar set up and youd have to get longer lines to reach.

Here is what you need.

LSL Superbike Handlebar Kits

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
IMO it wouldn't seem to be that difficult to have a more upright position. You would need a new bar setup and a new pair of rearsets. You will also want to look into getting either a corbin seat or modifying your own so it is not angled forward so much. Now that you mention this idea, I think it would be a good project. I would love the power and handling of an r6 with a more relaxed ride like an fz6. You'll find that the some members have actually added r6 forks other components to their fz's, so I don't see whats wrong with doing it the other way around!! Good luck.