R&G crash bungs & side fairings

simonwb

Back in black
Reaction score
Visit site
Absolutely swear by R&G crash protection - on this Fazer, I've got the front fork & rear swingarm protectors, bar ends and the side bungs.

Anyway, as hopefully you can see, some drilling of the Yamaha side fairings required to fit around the R&Gs. My dealer did this, with nothing more than a v. large size drill bit on a powerdrill. Looks fine to me.

(We did think that Yamaha did crash protection bungs that would fit around the fairing without drilling - that's what the accessories catalogue said, anyway - but said bungs never materialised, so we went with the R&Gs.)

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I swear by R&G's also. Only problem is that they run $90 a set here in the US :eek:
I recently wrecked and had to replace one side, slider saved my bike from catastrophic damage.

I don't have a mid fairing though so mounting was a piece of cake.

Here's what it looked like afterward
rgsliderbent.jpg

Last edited:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow that's quite an angle of dangle on that crash bung - what did the bike do? Slide down the road, then hit a kerb?

You ok from it?

A car going the opposite way turned left infront of me, and I almost made it past him but his bumper tapped my rear tire, which caused it to slide to the right, then the bike regained traction and I "highsided", and which caused me to fly off the bike, and the bike to SLAM very hard on its left side. I watched/heard the bike slam against the pavement as I was flying through the air. I was only going about 30mph so me and the bike didn't really slide, we just hit the ground hard.

I'm doing okay, arm/shoulder still sore. Bike is relatively fine, fairing was damaged, scratches all around. My insurance took care of it and I'm in the process of fixing it(other driver was un-insured/un-licensed).

I know that without frame sliders, the bike would be totaled. Tank would be dented in, frame would be cracked/bent, motor might even have damage.
The bolts on the sliders are a soft metal so they're meant to bend, instead of direct the energy to the frame/engine.

simonwb

Back in black
Reaction score
Visit site
Good to hear you're ok.

I highsided once - at McLeans corner at Donington Park, on a track day - or so I'm told by the riders behind me, because my brain has completely blanked that few seconds from my memory completely. Luckily, I wasn't hurt either - not much to slide into there, thankfully.

phocaea

Reaction score
Visit site
Of course there are roller protectors (as U can see in the photo) from yamaha.
The only problem is that I cant find the codes to order them in 2 continents (Europe, America)... well done yamaha!!!

.. maybe that could be the reason I'm switching to suzuki...

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
Thought I'd add a photo to this, I dropped my bike yesterday afternoon doing about 10mph pulling out of a side road onto a main one. Back wheel spun on the slippy road and off it went down the road with me sliding behind it.

Luckily the R&G bung did it's job and saved the day. Some decent cager stopped and help me pick the bike up and apart from the bung and the rear right side peg getting a scrapping there was no other damage to the bike. I've got a sore hip and shoulder though :(

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I swear by R&G's also. Only problem is that they run $90 a set here in the US :eek:
I recently wrecked and had to replace one side, slider saved my bike from catastrophic damage.

I don't have a mid fairing though so mounting was a piece of cake.

Here's what it looked like afterward
rgsliderbent.jpg
Wow! that was quite a lick glad to hear your gettin better.weve got alot of uninsured/unlisenced drivers here in la. too.my next purchase for my bike will be some sliders.:eek:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, Nivag,
Could you let me know how long is your frame slider, looks like a 3" to me, which is not extented. Am I right?

Thanks,
Henry

Good Luck! His last post in this thread was. . . .... ... .. .

Wait for it. . . . .

. . . . .

. . .

. .

01-05-2009, 08:31 AM
:welcome:

The ideal scene is the slider being ground to bits before the bolt bends. . .
Someone mentioned a SOFT bolt is ideal - NOT! If the bolt bends, you just broke your frame because its Cast aluminum and it doesn't like the bolt bending it just breaks.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Absolutely swear by R&G crash protection - on this Fazer, I've got the front fork & rear swingarm protectors, bar ends and the side bungs.

Anyway, as hopefully you can see, some drilling of the Yamaha side fairings required to fit around the R&Gs. My dealer did this, with nothing more than a v. large size drill bit on a powerdrill. Looks fine to me.

(We did think that Yamaha did crash protection bungs that would fit around the fairing without drilling - that's what the accessories catalogue said, anyway - but said bungs never materialised, so we went with the R&Gs.)
How far out do they stick beyond the fairing? It doesn't look like a lot. My R&G Aero ones (designed to protect the fairing look like the stick out more - pics in my site link in my signature). If you want, I can measure mine later.