2014 Daytona Bike Week. Part 6 (demo'd Bolt-R, FJR, Can-Am ST, ZX6R, Z1000, DL1000)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome day today! Met up with AngelFZ, his girlfriend and his friend Jose. (It was great o meet you all!! Hope I get to see you again tomorrow!). Angel's lady did a phenomenal job figuring out how to best sign up for the demos, so we were all able to do SIX in a day (I've never managed more than 4, on my own). Actually.. I took after around 3:30, but I think they have one more demo coming!

And now the bikes.. I won't talk about FJR and DL1000 (new V-Strom) again.. I've already posted pictures and *reviewed* them earlier in a week. Let me just say they're both so very good, that I felt like riding them again.

First bike of the day: Yamaha Bolt R-spec:

attachment.php

Very different from all other cruisers I've ridden. Middle controls (as opposed to forward), feels very light and very small, but not too small. Far from fast, but as with most cruisers, strong linear power delivery and it's perfectly happy to spin at low RPM. Effortless to tip side to side and holds its line well through curves.
The not-so-good: Air cleaner sticks way out on the right side, so your knee is either pushing up against it or you have to stick your knee out.. which makes it kind of difficult to operate rear brake.
Gauge cluster is completely invisible in direct sunlight.. not that it matters that much, as the only information displayed is a digital speedo.
Loads of vibration at the mirrors.. at certain RPM, everything behind you looks like it's completely blurred out.
There's something really charming about this bike though.. I wouldn't throw it out of my garage if someone gave me one.

Can-Am ST, manual trans:

attachment.php

I've ridden Can-Am before. It's a strange beast, but there is something oddly fun about it. I've said this before.. if you've ever ridden a snowmobile and enjoyed it, this feels very similar and you'll probably like it.
Great clutch, smooth gear box, pretty good power. it's my go-to vehicle, if I'm ever crippled.

Kawasaki ZX6R:

attachment.php

Very similar to my R6, as to be expected. An excellent example of a 600 supersport. No negatives here.. just as I always say, I can't ride this on the street due to riding position, but the drivetrain is sweet. Plenty of power without the *boredom* of liter bikes.. you have to shift this thing.

Kawasaki Z1000:

attachment.php

This thing is a giggle factory!! It's so much fun it should be illegal!! More low end than FZ1 with about as much top end (maybe slightly less). Much lighter and shorter feel. All of that adds up to a very flickable, effortlessly-steered wheelie machine (no, I did not wheelie it, as it was against demo rules, but the front really really wants to come up!).
The cons? Awful vibrating noise at certain RPM (probably an easy fix) and good-sized rear spools won't work with stock exhaust, as it'll sheer them right off when suspension compresses.

Last edited:

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Kawasaki Z1000:

attachment.php

This thing is a giggle factory!! It's so much fun it should be illegal!! More low end than FZ1 with about as much top end (maybe slightly less). Much lighter and shorter feel. All of that adds up to a very flickable, effortlessly-steered wheelie machine (no, I did not wheelie it, as it was against demo rules, but the front really really wants to come up!).
The cons? Awful vibrating noise at certain RPM (probably an easy fix) and good-sized rear spools won't work with stock exhaust, as it'll sheer them right off when suspension compresses.

I was looking at it while I was looking for a replacement for the fazer. I couldn't get over how brutishly ugly it was in the front. When I sat on it it felt pretty comfortable though. Still it has the looks that you will either love or absolutely hate.

Have you test ridden the Honda CB100R? I would love to hear your opinion of how it compares to the new FZ-09.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was looking at it while I was looking for a replacement for the fazer. I couldn't get over how brutishly ugly it was in the front. When I sat on it it felt pretty comfortable though. Still it has the looks that you will either love or absolutely hate.

Have you test ridden the Honda CB100R? I would love to hear your opinion of how it compares to the new FZ-09.

Would have love to demo the CB, but unfortunately Honda no longer does demos at Daytona.. not since 2006.

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
".....First bike of the day: Kawasaki Bolt R-spec:...."

Kawasaki????
Come on.....looks like you've had a bit too much of bikes, sunshine and warm weather.......time for you to get back to reality (well reality for most of us).

Thanks for the write ups.....was a pleasure reading them.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
".....First bike of the day: Kawasaki Bolt R-spec:...."

Kawasaki????
Come on.....looks like you've had a bit too much of bikes, sunshine and warm weather.......time for you to get back to reality (well reality for most of us).

Thanks for the write ups.....was a pleasure reading them.

LMAO!! Good catch!!

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
LMAO!! Good catch!!

Well when you are covered with 3ft of snow and nothing better to do you can pick up meaningless errors on posts by other members......and just to set the record straight....envy has NOTHING to do with it.....well maybe a little.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome day today! Met up with AngelFZ, his girlfriend and his friend Jose. (It was great o meet you all!! Hope I get to see you again tomorrow!). Angel's lady did a phenomenal job figuring out how to best sign up for the demos, so we were all able to do SIX in a day (I've never managed more than 4, on my own). Actually.. I took after around 3:30, but I think they have one more demo coming!

Erci, she is phenomenal!!! Initially the registration is intense, going from one vendor to another and she keeps up with all the times, what is next, what is feasible, it is amazing!!
Yesterday, after all the registrations, she sent me this message:
Demo rides*
10:15 Yamaha*
11:15 Yamaha*
12:15 canam
1:30 Kawasaki 1:45 José*
2:15 Kawasaki 2:30 José
3:00 Suzuki*
4:40 canam

Today she did not send me the corresponding message, but we did similar. Actually, after removing a couple of wrist bands, this is what I accumulated on Friday and Saturday
4ypymehy.jpg

It was awesome sharing time and riding on the same groups.

Great write ups!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk