Quick Sparks Change??

Mikeinho

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi. Thanks for clicking this thread... either you have the same problem, or can help (I think).

I have a 2006 FZ6-SA, and I recently bought NGK iridium sparks to fit. I had a look through the Haynes manual, and thought I'd give it a bash. Remove the fairing, lift the tank, remove the airbox, uninstall the radiator... BLAH BLAH BLAH.

:confused:

However, I gave up before removing the airbox and radiator (as described in the manual), simply because I wasn't confident about removing all the pipes and putting them back in the right order.

Does anyone know of a quick & simple way of changing the sparks?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!!

ddg

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used this method today but it took a bit longer then 20 minutes. I also took out the top and bottom radiator bolts and unhooked the plastic connector holding the rad house by the coolant reservoir (07+) to get a bit more room.

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
I used them method linked above and it probably took me 45 minutes but hey, I'm old & slow. I don't remember if the thread mentions it but take an air hose and blow out all the crap before pulling the plugs out. That way nothing will fall into the cylinders when the plug comes out.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I used the "quick" method but it took me about an hour, just because my hands are huge and I had to remove a radiator hose to get to the #1 plug(far right if looking at the bike)

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
about fourty five minutes I'd guess is right, just be prepared to scratch the **** out of your working hand doing it

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Probably a dumb question, but how often should you change your spark plugs? I've got an '06 and haven't ever done it (mostly because, like the OP, I'm mechanically disabled...lol.)

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the Yamaha manual suggests 8k miles (12k km), I replaced mine for the first time at 20k km and they were perfectly fine so I don't think it's urgent to replace them so quick. As a replacement, I put in the NGK iridium plugs, will probably never have to replace them :)

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did mine this morning in 55 min. I was looking at half an hour as I had 2, 3 and 4 done in 20 min but I really struggled with 1 (left), first I couldn't get the cap out of the hole, then the lack of movement meant unscrewing took forever, then the plug kept falling off the spanner!

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the Yamaha manual suggests 8k miles (12k km), I replaced mine for the first time at 20k km and they were perfectly fine so I don't think it's urgent to replace them so quick. As a replacement, I put in the NGK iridium plugs, will probably never have to replace them :)

Hold on there sparky, just because the plug looks ok that isn't the whole story. The part you can't see (the electrode inside the plug) is subject to high heat and does lose it's ability to conduct electricity. That's what makes the iridium a better plug due to it's ability to withstand the high temps.
My FJR also calls for 8k mile replacement, I run the iridiums about double that but no more. No I can't tell any difference but I change them anyway.
Mechanics tell me our motors are more demanding due to high rpm (more plug firing) etc and we should change them according to mfg recommendations.

Budha59

Reaction score
Visit site
I did this procedure yeaterday and it took me more then an hour, many cuts and bruises and probably an eternity in hell from all the colorfull language used.

IMHO, its much easier if you just take the radiator of its mounts to give yourself an extra few centimeters of room.