Questions about headlight dimming out

rpflyingtaz

Reaction score
Visit site
About a year half ago I did the headlight mod and well I blew out 2 alternators on my Blue 07 FZ6. What I did, I built a wire harness and then patched it into the old headlight connectors and researching the different methods on the forum. It worked great, but the alternator couldn’t handle the load and I went through 2 of them. The dealer was bewildered also and they covered it under warranty, but after the second one. They took the wires out. Also I have Sylnaia Silverstars in my headlights and there awesome, as I did at the time. I recommend the bulbs for all. So without the head light mod when you turn your turn signal any one notice the headlight dim slightly as the flasher flash? Tonight, I just, apprehensively, did BD43 head light mod and I am worried about blowing another alternator. Any suggestions, or am I crazy? Also do you notice the headlight dimming?

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
the first thing i see is you did two alternators and didnt mention the battery at all. I'd suspect a faulty battery first. if the charging system has to stay at peak output all the time then that will definitely kill it. make sure that battery is 100% and then check the output as the bike is running. it should be able to keep up. the manual says the magnetos output is 14v 310w at 5000 rpm. Amp=watts/volts. so at 5000 rpm it should be putting out roughly 22 amps. that should be under full load.

Last edited:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay you have a problem other than the stators and headlights. Check the battery and the regulator/rectifier.

But a side question, do you use the high beam a lot? Because that would be using 175W as both low beams and the high beam would be lit, which is near the limit of the FZ6 charging system, assuming you are keeping the RPM's around 5k, if not, then you are draining the battery quickly.

rpflyingtaz

Reaction score
Visit site
To answer the questions the dealer replaced the battery both times and everything been running fine. The delaer check the whole charging since when this first started happening. But it went back to stock everything went back to normal. Since then during the day the high beam and low beam are on all the time. BD43 mod uses two low beams and or one low and one high, correct? So that should be no differnce than running with the high and low beam on all the time?

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
To answer the questions the dealer replaced the battery both times and everything been running fine. The delaer check the whole charging since when this first started happening. But it went back to stock everything went back to normal. Since then during the day the high beam and low beam are on all the time. BD43 mod uses two low beams and or one low and one high, correct? So that should be no differnce than running with the high and low beam on all the time?

You said you only just did the BD43 mod yesterday, but had originally done the bridging method, which illuminates all 3 fillaments with the highbeam on.
That, combined with a less than stellar charging system could cause problems.

cashcrzzy

Meandering Member
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
what rpm is your bike running at , at idle ? a low idle can make lights dim slightly with turn signals on .a dual headlamp mod shouldnt cause you to fail an alt.
Greg A.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I idle at ~1000rpm

It's supposed to be in between 1250 and 1350. It's really simple to adjust the idle, so there's no excuse not to. It's a screw in between the tank and the frame on the left side, turn it one way to go higher, the other to go lower.

rpflyingtaz

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the info. I will check my idle speed. I believe it is good. Its something that i dont pay attention since I rather be moving that stoppded. I rode it the other night after the mod and didnt see the head lights dim out. so thats a good sign.