Question on OTD price - Vancouver BC

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I already made up my mind on getting the FZ6 before I found this forum but I've been waiting to pick one up due to the fact I've been told that Yamaha will be slashing their 08 prices to compete with the USA. But frankly I don't care for the 08 colours and I'm impatient so I'm pulling the trigger on a 07. Went to PacYam today and talked prices. i didnt haggle just straight up OTD pricing.

This is what they came up with

bike price $7499
assembly and pdi $395
freight $125
doc fee $149
batt levy $15

total $8183

tax of 12% brings an OTD total to $9164.96 Which is 22% more than the original price or almost 1000 more than what just the bike plus taxes would be. I guess it just sucks when you buy a car the fee's are somewhat the same but the fees are a tiny % vs the actual cost of a car/truck.

They sold the blue one that was there. Im curious if the buyer is here?

what did you guys pay for yours being in BC. We all know the US prices dont count in this situation. What did you guys negotiate?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would think that you can negotiate the fees since they don't actually have a cost to the dealer in the first place. if i were you i would ask if you could buy the bike with no fees or maybe even split the fees with them, sorry to hear about the Tax rate being so high. would it be beneficial to buy the bike in the US since it is much cheaper here AND the Canadian dollar is so strong in comparison. You would have to pay the tax and i am sure some sort of export/import fees but it might still be worthwhile to get the lower start price.

H

HavBlue

Do you folks have to pay an import duty on private purchases? If not, or if that duty is reasonable, why not use the fact the dollar is weaker and buy that thing in the US? Hey, we can use all the help we can get. We're poor now ya know......he,he,he

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So, I already made up my mind on getting the FZ6 before I found this forum but I've been waiting to pick one up due to the fact I've been told that Yamaha will be slashing their 08 prices to compete with the USA. But frankly I don't care for the 08 colours and I'm impatient so I'm pulling the trigger on a 07. Went to PacYam today and talked prices. i didnt haggle just straight up OTD pricing.

This is what they came up with

bike price $7499
assembly and pdi $395
freight $125
doc fee $149
batt levy $15

total $8183

tax of 12% brings an OTD total to $9164.96 Which is 22% more than the original price or almost 1000 more than what just the bike plus taxes would be. I guess it just sucks when you buy a car the fee's are somewhat the same but the fees are a tiny % vs the actual cost of a car/truck.

what did you guys pay for yours being in BC. We all know the US prices dont count in this situation. What did you guys negotiate?

Not sure how many Canadians posted on this thread, but I'm sure there were a few so that you can get an idea on what you should pay.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/main-lobby/303-how-much-did-you-spend-your-fz6-7200-a.html

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
That's pretty much the average deal for an 07 right now. Forget about the blue one...they put all the slow engines in those.
Just out of curiosity, which salesperson were you dealing with at PacYam?

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you folks have to pay an import duty on private purchases? If not, or if that duty is reasonable, why not use the fact the dollar is weaker and buy that thing in the US? Hey, we can use all the help we can get. We're poor now ya know......he,he,he

actually thats the way to go if you want to save some money,,,i live in the border of detroit,,,i was almost gonna attempt to do that,,i have done a lot of research...the first thing i found out is most dealers dont sell to canadian residents so i ruled out buying a new one,,,buying a used one is possible but you have to have a lot of spare time to take care of this stuff...
im pasting this information from another forum...some of you guys in canada might be interested :

What to do before you import?

- Make sure your vehicle is admissible and can be modified to meet Canadian requirements by checking Transport Canada’s List of Admissible Vehicles (this list includes passengers cars, trucks, vans, jeeps, chassis cabs, trailers, motorcycles, and snowmobiles less than 15 years old; off-road vehicles manufactured after May 1, 1988 and buses manufactured after Jan. 1, 1971. Registrar of Imported Vehicles RIV: How to import a U.S made vehicle into Canada (1-888-848-8240)

- Contact the original equipment manufacturer or authorized dealer of your vehicle to obtain a recall clearance letter (YOU MUST HAVE THIS DOCUMENT IN ORDER TO PASS THE FEDERAL INSPECTION)

- Make sure you have the required documentation: title documents, registration, sales receipts, statement of compliance label and manufacturer’s recall clearance letter.

- Find out about any additional provincial or territorial requirements, such as safety inspections and emissions tests.

- Arrange for insurance.

- Present your vehicle along with original title docs to US Customs prior (72 hours) to entering Canada. CBP.gov - home page

- If you are importing a trailer you may call RIV to have your VIN number verified ahead of time.

What to do at the border?

- produce your title documents, registration and sales receipts.

- Complete Vehicle Import Form- Form 1 which will be provided by CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency formally Customs) this form must be kept with vehicle until it is licensed.

- CBSA will check vehicle against Transport Canada’s list of admissible vehicles they will also verify the public VIN #’s and manufacturer’s statement of compliance label to ensure a match.

- CBSA will facilitate the payment of your nonrefundable RIV fee of $182 in all provinces except Quebec where it is $197.

- Payment for the RIV fee may be made directly to CBSA with major credit cards CBSA DOES NOT ACCEPT CASH OR CHEQUES FOR THE RIV FEE.

What to do after the vehicle enters Canada?

- Within 10 days, you should receive a letter from RIV with your inspection docs (form 2) which details what must be done to bring your vehicle into compliance.

- It is your responsibility to complete the necessary mods within 45 days (they can be preformed by the garage of your choice)

- Make sure you keep receipts of all your modification work

- The RIV has contracted Canadian Tire to perform their federal inspections.

- When you pass the inspection they inspection center will stamp your form 1 and you will have to present this paper work to the licensing authority

- If the vehicle fails the inspection within the 45 days it will have to be exported.

Common Modifications?

Motorcycles
- recall clearance letter
- U.S statement of compliance (S.O.C Label) at the border
- The RIV will mail a Canadian statement of compliance label to you after passing the federal inspection
- Valid alpha-numeric 17-digit VIN
- Metric speedometer and odometer labels (provided by inspection centre)
- All lights on

Restricted-Use Motorcycles

- Recall clearance letter
- Off-road statement label
- Reflectors

Numbers you’ll need?

Registrar of Imported Vehicles
1-888-848-8240
Registrar of Imported Vehicles RIV: How to import a U.S made vehicle into Canada
[email protected]

Canada Border Service Agency
1-800-461-9999 (English)
1-800-959-2036 (French)
Welcome to the Canada Border Services Agency | Bienvenue à l'Agence des services frontaliers du Canada

Transport Canada
1-800-333-0371
(613) 998-4831 (fax)
Transport Canada - Transports Canada

United States Customs
CBP.gov - home page

H

HavBlue

Does an unlicensed trailered vehicle (privately owned vehicle) have to meet these requirements? The reason I ask is because I had no problem crossing the border with the Harley in tow and the plate wasn't on it as I had taken it off and put it in the Jeep. Heck, they didn't even ask me about the bike. Just things like how long I was staying and what my business was. Granted, this was a couple of years ago and things do change at the crossings....

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
Does an unlicensed trailered vehicle (privately owned vehicle) have to meet these requirements? The reason I ask is because I had no problem crossing the border with the Harley in tow and the plate wasn't on it as I had taken it off and put it in the Jeep. Heck, they didn't even ask me about the bike. Just things like how long I was staying and what my business was. Granted, this was a couple of years ago and things do change at the crossings....

i dont think in that case it has to meet the requirements since its owned by a US Citizen,,,of course they shoud have checked if the bike belonged to you...you can bring your bike to canada and sell it to somebody here,,,that eliminates the stuff that the buyer needs to do in the border,,,but still has to have federal inspection plus all the necessary paperwork in order to license the vehicle in canada..

it will take years to adjust the new pricing according to the US dollar value ,IF the US dollar stays like this...that means we have couple of years to take the advantage of buying stuff from US while it is more expensive in here ;)

Y

yukon_alex

That would be me. I paid the same price. I thought it was a good deal and I really wanted the blue one (even if it is slower). I flew to Vancouver, looked at the bike and made the purchase. With my flight I added about $500 to the price right off the top. The local Yamaha dealer wanted $7600 plus fees and other charges for a 2006.

Could I have hagled, sure. I am not like that. If I don't want to pay the price they are telling me, I always look elsewhere.

I will be in Vancouver on April 25 to pick it up. Maybe we could organise a small get together for lunch or something? any one else out there interested?

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
ok well sounds like i wont ask for much. i could be down for a ride. your bike is sitting in the showroom still and i was torn between the colours, and can never make decisions. but because you took the blue it's making the red look better to me ;) plus i hear they are faster

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah. thats exactly what i was going to do..... when i got rid of my last bike i didnt plan on riding for awhile so i sold my boots. they have a pair there i like as well as apparently they sell pazzo levers there so maybe i can get then to do something with those.

jimbop

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a 07 last June in Washington State from Smokey Point Cycle Barn. The process was super easy. I took a trailer down picked up the bike and brought it home. An earlier post described everything you need to do with the exception of exporting the bike out of the US which requires 72 hours of advance notice. I had the dealer fax the title up to the US border 3 days before I went down. At the boarder, coming back, I stopped for 2 minutes at the US side and had the docs stamped then stopped at the Canadian side and paid the GST. They faxed docs to the R.I.V. whom in turn sent me docs about 6 days later. I got temp plate and took the bike to Canadian tire where they did the inspection for R.I.V and then headed to my local insurance office and paid the PST and bought my insurance. The R.I.V. fee was $210. I save about $1800 on a new 07 over the best price I could find in B.C. or Alberta. That was when the CDN $ was only worth 97 cents US now its even. Call R.I.V and call US customs and they will walk you through the process. You can also drive the bike back if you want on a Washington State temp plate.

I have taken my bike down for all services and Smoky Point has been great.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah. thats exactly what i was going to do..... when i got rid of my last bike i didnt plan on riding for awhile so i sold my boots. they have a pair there i like as well as apparently they sell pazzo levers there so maybe i can get then to do something with those.

If you want Pazzo's, walk 50 yards east of PacYam on the same side and go into 5th Gear. Bill will get you a pair of Pazzo's a lot cheaper than PacYam will want for them. ;)

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
true. i was going to ask them to throw them on the bike with the total they already gave me and discount my boots. im going to have to weight my options now.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
That would be me.

Yes...your avatar proves that. :thumbup:

yukon_alex said:
I will be in Vancouver on April 25 to pick it up. Maybe we could organise a small get together for lunch or something? any one else out there interested?

Sure! Just give a quick reminder and I'll ride out to PacYam (it's 15 minutes away) and meet you when you take delivery. Did you deal with Gerry?
Pacific Yamaha is now under new ownership (since late last year...and it needed it ;) ). The new owner has "refreshed" the staff and is doing a great job of refurbishing the dealership, with a proper accessory department upstairs and a parts department downstairs.
How are you getting your new FZ6 back home?

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
ok well sounds like i wont ask for much. i could be down for a ride. your bike is sitting in the showroom still and i was torn between the colours, and can never make decisions. but because you took the blue it's making the red look better to me ;) plus i hear they are faster

Yes, the red one MUST be faster. It looks like it's doing 200 kph just sitting on the centre stand. :D
I too wanted the blue one at first, but they sold it before I made up my mind....got the last 06 which was red, and I haven't regretted it at all. Quite an eye-catcher....way too many blue bikes out there anyhow. :thumbup:

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
true. i was going to ask them to throw them on the bike with the total they already gave me and discount my boots. im going to have to weight my options now.

If PacYam will cut you a deal on accessories, then go for it. :thumbup: The price of the bike itself that you quoted is quite good... ;)

Y

yukon_alex

Yes...your avatar proves that. :thumbup:

Sure! Just give a quick reminder and I'll ride out to PacYam (it's 15 minutes away) and meet you when you take delivery. Did you deal with Gerry?
Pacific Yamaha is now under new ownership (since late last year...and it needed it ;) ). The new owner has "refreshed" the staff and is doing a great job of refurbishing the dealership, with a proper accessory department upstairs and a parts department downstairs.
How are you getting your new FZ6 back home?

The big plan at this time is to use the weekend of the 26th to ride the Island and return to the dealer for the first service on Tuesday. Then I have a 4,400km trip home. I am meeting my wife and kids at Liard Hot Springs in northern BC on the Saturday. The kids will get to take turns riding the 700km home to Whitehorse on the Sunday (if the weather is nice, of course).

I expect to put 5,500km on the new bike before I get home. I am so very looking forward to this trip!

I dealt with...Frank? I haven't met him yet, he was at the Vancouver MC Show when I was in Vancouver. I will meet him in April, I think. I really like the dealership. I have been emailing a woman in the service department and the experience has been very positive so far!

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow. I could only dream of a ride like the one you've got planned. A lot of folks don't comprehend how big British Columbia is. It's larger in land mass than Washington, Oregon and California combined...and you're riding the length of it and then some. :eek:
Pacific Yamaha is much improved since I bought my new FZ6 from them last July....I had a bit of a shaky start with them due to PDI issues, but have no problems at all with them now. :)