Question from a newbie

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I am about to take my MSF class and am looking at "beginner bikes". I am looking at the GSX650F, the Kawasaki 650R and the FZ6.

I am 6ft 6in and weigh a shade under 250. How comfortable is the FZ6 for the "bigger" rider.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've not tried GSXF, but I did try Ninja 650. Ninja has a much smaller feel to it than FZ6. So you will almost certainly be more comfortable on FZ6.
Like many of us, you will probably end up swapping out the handlebar for something with less backward sweep which will give you even more room.
Oh and you probably already know this, but FZ6 has a LOT more power than Ninja / GSXF, so be very careful out there when you're just starting out. You will likely be riding 250cc bike in MSF.. FZ6 is going to feel very different after that.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
6', 235 lbs here and the FZ6 fits me perfectly. In fact, I sat on a friend's new-to-him Triumph Sprint ST a couple of days ago...man does that thing crunch your legs up! I thought, because it's a sport-touring bike, it would have good leg room and not put your knees at a severe angle, but no. My FZ6 is MUCH more comfortable.

The one thing you will notice (and you WILL notice it) is that the stock seat sucks. I could ride for about 30 minutes on the stocker before my rear end started killing me. I bought a Corbin seat from another member last year and now I can ride for hours on end and never have one problem.

If you go with the FZ6, definitely save up some money for an aftermarket seat. You'll thank me in the end (no pun intended...lol). :D

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
I am a noob just like you and I am 6'6" too. I got a 2006 FZ6 about a week ago and I feel very comfortable ergo-wise. It really is a roomy bike.

You will likely be riding 250cc bike in MSF.. FZ6 is going to feel very different after that.

I just finished the MSF yesterday and took my lady for a test ride for the first time and yes I totally agree with the above statement :)

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The one thing you will notice (and you WILL notice it) is that the stock seat sucks.

Seat comfort varies from rider to rider. Personally, I find stock seat to be very comfortable. I've done 6 hours in the saddle and while my hands and feet got tired from vibration, my rear end never bothered me.
And if the seat does bother you, there are very inexpensive ways to gain comfort:
1. Padded underwear (means for bicycle riding).
2. BeadRider - Beaded Motorcycle Seats (my friend tells me this thing works wonders... hey, thousands of Taxi drivers can't be wrong)

skyjake

Reaction score
Visit site
2. BeadRider - Beaded Motorcycle Seats (my friend tells me this thing works wonders... hey, thousands of Taxi drivers can't be wrong)

Beads huh? That makes my butt slide just looking at it. :rof: :rof:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You do realize that when you take your MSF BRC, that they will provide you with training bikes right? Even if you have your own motorcycle, you would not be able to use it during the class.

Just to let you know that there is no rush to go out and buy a bike right now.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
You do realize that when you take your MSF BRC, that they will provide you with training bikes right? Even if you have your own motorcycle, you would not be able to use it during the class.

Just to let you know that there is no rush to go out and buy a bike right now.

Good advice!! I was bike shopping before my BRC, and totally changed my mind as to what I thought I may want AFTER the BRC.
Good luck in the class. (As a newbie) I found it VERY helpful. Have FUN!! :D

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
There's probably nothing wrong with FZ6 as a "beginner bike" in that the noteable power isn't easy to access "on accident." But I wouldn't recommend it as a first bike. Buy something cheaper. You're inevitably going to drop it in the driveway when you're starting. Lots of plastic on the FZ6 to get dinged up. Adding to the problem is the moderate weight of the FZ6 and its somewhat top-heavy nature (compared to smaller true beginner bikes). You'd be better off buying something < $2500, there are usually tons of options. Keep it for a year, sell it for roughly what you paid, then shell out some bigger money for what you've determined by that time is the exact right bike for you.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Seat comfort varies from rider to rider. Personally, I find stock seat to be very comfortable. I've done 6 hours in the saddle and while my hands and feet got tired from vibration, my rear end never bothered me.
And if the seat does bother you, there are very inexpensive ways to gain comfort:
1. Padded underwear (means for bicycle riding).

And how much do YOU weigh? If you had a Ninja 250 before your FZ6, as it says beneath your avatar, then you don't weight anywhere NEAR what I and the OP do.

And before anyone over 220 lbs says anything about the 250 being more than enough bike for a person my size, I've been on one, and it's not. Sure, it would work fine for commuting or something like that, but it's WAY too small for a larger person.

All that being said, the padded undershorts are a good idea, but the beadrider idea...nah. Been there, done that...try riding the twisties with one of those things under you!

Last edited:

AlanB

Reaction score
Visit site
6' 5" and 230. FZ6 fits so well, every time I look at something else I give up the idea of a new bike. Only other bike that fits me better is Honda VFR. Except for cruisers, but if cruisers were all there were to motorcycles, I would have stuck to my bicycle. :justkidding:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
And how much do YOU weight? If you had a Ninja 250 before your FZ6, as it says beneath your avatar, then you don't weight anywhere NEAR what I and the OP do.

Ah.. this is true. I only weigh 160 or so. I didn't think that seating comfort was proportional to weight though :)
And I agree with you about the Ninja250. So the beads are not that great for aggressive riding, huh? I never tried'em myself.

AlanB

Reaction score
Visit site
You're inevitably going to drop it in the driveway when you're starting. Lots of plastic on the FZ6 to get dinged up. Adding to the problem is the moderate weight of the FZ6 and its somewhat top-heavy nature (compared to smaller true beginner bikes).

While a new rider is certainly more likely to drop than an experienced one, I do believe those of us with 36"+ inseams have an advantage in that department. I bought new (OK, used, from the dealer, with 260 miles and 11 months of warranty left on it) and - insert sound of me knocking on wood - have not dropped it in over 2 years and about 10,000 miles. The top heavy thing doesn't matter quite as much when you tower over the bike anyway. ;)

W

wrightme43

Its not really the minor drops that are the problem. Its the huge amount of power and the unforgiving nature of that, making in a less than wise choice for a new rider. Highly reccomending 10,000 miles or so of experince on a vtwin or Ltwin 650cc or less before the inline 4 of 600cc or more. Size doesnt matter at speed. Its a learning curve with a very very very steep price to pay for mistakes. Our bike is one of the more gentle inline 4s but even then it is a powerhouse and can get a new rider in over his head in a short heartbeat.

insomniacs_dream

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh and you probably already know this, but FZ6 has a LOT more power than Ninja / GSXF

???????

Having both bikes, I can't say that either has "a LOT" more of anything. The FZ6 has more top end power, but the Suzuki has more low end torque. I started out on the FZ6 and then my wife took it over when I got the GSX650F. I'm 6' 3" and around 215#. Both bikes are comfortable to me and each has their positives and negatives. I think you would be happy on either.