question for you guys who already have a FZ6

blairvt

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a KLR 650 for my play bike. Now I'm looking for a street bike. I want a up right, comfortable bike. I'm anti crotch rocket. I'm going to try out a 05 FZ6 tomorrow. Has about 8,000 miles. What should I be looking for? What do ya'll think of the riding position?

Hi Blair!
I'm 6'5" and the FZ-6 was my first/only motorcycle since 2007 (until a couple months ago). I loved the upright riding position, the arm position was perfect for me. The legs were a bit cramped, but I lived with it for 6 years/27,000 miles, and still have her.
Good luck on the test ride, and keep us informed on your decision! :rockon:

Hi Blair!
I'm 6'5" and the FZ-6 was my first/only motorcycle since 2007 (until a couple months ago). I loved the upright riding position, the arm position was perfect for me. The legs were a bit cramped, but I lived with it for 6 years/27,000 miles, and still have her.
Good luck on the test ride, and keep us informed on your decision! :rockon:
At the other end of the spectrum I am 5' 6" and the arm and leg position is also great.
A truly universal bike often described as the "Swiss army knife" of the MC world.

Neil

that's what I was hoping to hear. My first street bike back in college was a Yamaha Radian. I loved that bike, hope the FZ6 is going to be as nice.

that's what I was hoping to hear. My first street bike back in college was a Yamaha Radian. I loved that bike, hope the FZ6 is going to be as nice.

Hahahaha, my first bike was an '86 Radian. Bought the FZ6 after that. I'm 5'10 and the FZ6 really fits me well as I like a roomy bike for touring

IMG_0009.JPG

the Fz6 is an amazing all around bike like said.....
Out of my yzf600r, FZ6, R1 the Fz has racked up 32,000+ miles
its very practical and still has most of the power you want and you can still take dirt roads or easy trails..

I put 30k on a KLR, and many more on other bikes, but to get to the heart of it, the fz is way more cramped, way less torque, way more touchy, and way more fun. It's hard to explain that transition, but if you have specific questions, let me know.

It was a good choice for me to transition back to pavement, but I miss my dirt confidence. An fz6 and a xr650r would be a great quiver. I don't miss the street characteristics of the klr compared, but I hate the fz6 every time I'm looking at decent stretches of dirt.

That said, I've put 5k on in the last month, and I just love twisting and going and dragging a peg. Fuel injection and a high redline is really fun.

At the other end of the spectrum I am 5' 6" and the arm and leg position is also great.
A truly universal bike often described as the "Swiss army knife" of the MC world.

Neil

in the middle of the spectrum i am 6'2" with 34" inseam and the FZ6 gives me nasty knee pains if i ride it more than 200 miles.

Still love it, it is my first bike.

Although you know the difference, people who dont know anything about bikes (even some other riders) will think the fz6 is a rocket. Im consistently telling people i dont ride a crotch rocket. Ive never ridden a klr so couldnt compare the 2 for you. I can say the fz6 is a very practical bike though.

Last edited:
Although you know the difference, people who dont know anything about bikes (even some other riders) will think the fz6 is a rocket. Im consistently telling people i dont ride a crotch rocket. Ive never ridden a klr so couldnt compare the 2 for you. I can say the fz6 is a very practical bike though.
I have to keep telling the people at work that too! During the week I keep the topcase and tank bag on, mostly because it's urban camoflage. Keeps the po po in the dark:BLAA:

The beauty of it is, even though it's not a crotch rocket, it's every bit as fast (almost) as one so it's like a wolf in sheep's clothing that way.

OP, you asked this question on an enthusiast site for the Fz6. Do you really expect people to say it isn't a good bike? :D

In all seriousness though. I can't speak to the adventure aspect of it. However, as my 2nd bike coming from a 800cc cruiser, the Fz6 blows it away in terms of just about everything. Speed obviously, comfort surprisingly, cheap to insure, easy to maintain, reliable, fun, easy going in the lower rev range, and can become a beast when pushed. According to specs, my bike is pushing out about 95-98hp and weighs in at about 425lbs dry. My 800cc cruiser weighed in at about 500lbs and was only putting out about 50hp! The throttle (at least on my bike) is pretty linear and there's nothing scary about it at all. It's a smooth as can be and is a great, easy to ride bike for commuting and putting around. It can and does however, have an alternate personality when you get those revs above about 8K and I imagine, would keep up with most super sports save the liter bikes.

Whatever you end up deciding to do, based on what I've read, the Fz6R is a downgrade from the Fz6 so you would need to look at 2009 and below.

Good luck and welcome to the forums! There are a great bunch of helpful guys on here and as far as I can tell, no trolls at all (which is a rarity).

Last edited:
I have a mate with a Kwaka ZX6R, that I regularly ride with. Whether it be nailing it at the lights, nailing it from speed, or in the twisties, he can't get away from the good ole fizzer.

But - long distance commutes, and riding in town shorten him up considerably. (the low handlebar height of the super sport can't compare to the comfort of the fizzer)

The FZ6 is the best bike for me - easy, comfortable to ride - but still goes like the clappers when asked!

Cheers,
Rick

We all love the bike but you asked for what to look for when looking.

The front bearing, main bearing that supports the front / tripple tree / forks / handle bars can and did go on those bikes. I replaced mine at the local bike shop and it cost me about $250. Not a big deal but something to look for. Roll the bike forward and toggle the front break on and off. If the front end sounds or feels 'clicky' the bearing is in need of replacement.

If the bike is stock, you will notice a 'hump' in the power curve around 4000 RPM. The power will really come on at 4k and the bike will be pretty buzzy @ 5k. It will be very docile and ride-able below 4k. If it has a quality after market exhaust it will have smooth/ linear power curve with no hump at 4k and minimal buzzing.

Check tires, but you know that, you are already a rider. Check forks for leaks, check break fluid to see if it has been change. It is an old bike. Original tires are old and dry by now no matter how many miles are on it. Break fluid should be changed after you buy, easy job that takes 20 minutes or so. Idle should be @ 1200 RPM. It may surge a bit when it is cold. Both of my bikes do.

Took it for a ride and was sold. Absolutely stock except for a gear indicator. Not sure why he needed it, but whatever. Strange thing is it doesn't seem to register unless you are moving. Tires are new. A little leaning forward, have to see how it feels on a long ride. Has 8000 miles, excellent condition. Paid $3000 for it. This thing is very quiet. Strangely so. Shifting gears seems loud but I think its just because the engine is so quiet.

Took it for a ride and was sold. Absolutely stock except for a gear indicator. Not sure why he needed it, but whatever. Strange thing is it doesn't seem to register unless you are moving. Tires are new. A little leaning forward, have to see how it feels on a long ride. Has 8000 miles, excellent condition. Paid $3000 for it. This thing is very quiet. Strangely so. Shifting gears seems loud but I think its just because the engine is so quiet.

the gears are a little clunky, all of them are, but its no big deal. also the bike does get a bit louder after 7-8k rpm...... CycleWorld also listed the Yamaha FZ line-up as the best used motorcycles with the FZ6 as the best of the bunch (I really wish i had a link to it) so id say you did pretty well for a bike with under 10k miles and completely stock.

oh and let me be the first to :welcome: you to the family

the gears are a little clunky, all of them are, but its no big deal. also the bike does get a bit louder after 7-8k rpm...... CycleWorld also listed the Yamaha FZ line-up as the best used motorcycles with the FZ6 as the best of the bunch (I really wish i had a link to it) so id say you did pretty well for a bike with under 10k miles and completely stock.

oh and let me be the first to :welcome: you to the family
I'll be the second!:welcome:
After turning 20k on my 09, I feel it's running better now than it did new. I just know what the bike feels like every day. You will figure out the FZ's quirks soon enough, its just one of those bikes. I love mine.

Back